2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

4 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I'm with you in that its a lot more nuanced than Gase is bad. Gase is bad isnt the conclusion for everything. 

At the same time I think if Sam isn't executing the offense needs to be dumbed down. Gase isnt getting style points for calling a great game. Gase is getting points for winning and for keeping the team competitive. If Gase has been dumbing the offense down and Sam cant execute he needs to go to JD and say "Sam aint it, I need a QB." 

Ive made the point before, but Gase isn't going to win anyone over because his offense is a Mercedes. Especially since right now Sams driving the Mercedes like he's afraid to scratch the car. Maybe what Sam needs is a Corrolla and its up to Gase to make those adjustments. 

I said that last week, Gase needs to dumb down the offense for Sam similar to what McVay does/did for Goff. McVay makes sure Goff gets to the line quick so he can walk him through their checks. That way Goff can just react.

One thing with Sam that was worrisome last week was when he freelanced. He’s usually good when things break down and last week he was just awful(missed throws, taking the bad sack) 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I said that last week, Gase needs to dumb down the offense for Sam similar to what McVay does/did for Goff. McVay makes sure Goff gets to the line quick so he can walk him through their checks. That way Goff can just react.

One thing with Sam that was worrisome last week was when he freelanced. He’s usually good when things break down and last week he was just awful(missed throws, taking the bad sack) 

Agreed fully. Sams playing scared and its troublesome.

My guess is he doesn't want to make a mistake, but it nullifies some of bis best attributes. 

I dont necessarily think Gase is a bad coach. I actually like our coaching staff with the exception of OC. A lot falls on Darnold not developing. He’s making similar mistakes that he made in college.

My issue with Gase is that he hasn’t coached up Darnold. Darnold seems like he has the drive to get better. So it’s not an effort issue. He also clearly has the talent. Still early in his second year with Darnold though. But Darnold is not making the leaps in improvement that I was hoping for. I blame Gase and Darnold for this.

34 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

100%. Sam is not a cerebral QB. He’s best when he doesn’t think and just balls. Some mistakes will come with that style but it’s our best chance. Give him easy reads or create a sandlot playing style where Darnold is just winging it and playing care free. F it. Go out there and let it go. He missed a TD opportunity last week because he held back. 

Edited by SDotNova

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

100%. Sam is not a cerebral QB. He’s best when he doesn’t think and just balls. Some mistakes will come with that style but it’s our best chance. Give him easy reads or create a sandlot playing style where Darnold is just winging it and playing care free. F it. Go out there and let it go. He missed a TD opportunity last week because he held back. 

Yes. The Hogan pass in the back of the end zone, he was about 3 seconds late. He does have a clear understanding of the system, his checks were really good. It’s the post snap part that killed him.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Ryan Tannehill was often injured in Miami. Did you even look up Tannehill’s numbers with Gase? He was good with him.

He went 23-25 in Miami with mostly Cutler/Osweiler as his starting QB, he had a winning record with Tannehill and is .500 with Darnold. 

Like I said it’s either the talent or the coach, it can’t be both. Pick a side, stick to it. 

Not sure how you can say it can't be both.  It most certainly can.  Gase has a long track record of mediocrity this isn't some new HC finding his way or a Superbowl winner with a bad team.  Not sure why you keep falling on the sword for him.  Is he as bad as the talking media heads say probably not.  Crapping on the Jets is a media dream so take that with a grain of salt.  He does leave a lot to be desired with his game management and ability to adjust to the defense.  Guys is an average coach at best.  No need to continue down this path especially if Sam isn't responding.  We should all be ready to give Sam another chance given the situation he's been in Gase has a much shorter leach given his much longer time in this league.

Gase and Sam need to flash or we have no choice but to dump one or both.  I'm not 100% saying Gase is done but he has an uphill battle to get another year here.

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not sure how you can say it can't be both.  It most certainly can.  Gase has a long track record of mediocrity this isn't some new HC finding his way or a Superbowl winner with a bad team.  Not sure why you keep falling on the sword for him.  Is he as bad as the talking media heads say probably not.  Crapping on the Jets is a media dream so take that with a grain of salt.  He does leave a lot to be desired with his game management and ability to adjust to the defense.  Guys is an average coach at best.  No need to continue down this path especially if Sam isn't responding.  We should all be ready to give Sam another chance given the situation he's been in Gase has a much shorter leach given his much longer time in this league.

Gase and Sam need to flash or we have no choice but to dump one or both.  I'm not 100% saying Gase is done but he has an uphill battle to get another year here.

This is my point. The film showed Gase prepared Sam and the team for what Buffalo was going to throw at us. Sam simply didn’t execute enough to make the plays we needed. It’s really that simple. It’s 1 week. We need more of a sample size even with everything we’re dealing with injury wise.

But an even greater point is that fans can’t have it both ways. Can’t use talent, lack of talent, as an excuse for Darnold and not Gase.

Can’t want Daboll because of what he’s doing with Allen and then call Tannehill bad under Gase.

Thats kinda where I’m at. And me personally I know Gase has to do more but I also know he’s under scrutiny he doesn’t deserve. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yes. The Hogan pass in the back of the end zone, he was about 3 seconds late. He does have a clear understanding of the system, his checks were really good. It’s the post snap part that killed him.

The other one was when he ran out of bounds to the right sideline. Everyone was screaming throw it away. But a receiver was actually open for a TD right down that same sideline. 

20 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Crowder had a career year under him. Darnold's numbers went up under Gase. Anything else is irrelevant. I can defend him because I actually do research, I dont just crap on a playcall because someone didn't execute.

LOL Crowder had a career year? He did what he was doing in Washington.  Darnold went into year 2 of his career, of course he'll improve.  Starting off year 3 isn't looking too hot.  What the hell research are you looking at? I wish I was this optimistic.

And the "research" has been posted by many about how players go on to have better years without him, how he turned LeVeon Bell into one of the least effective RBs and how the Jets have an absurdly high 3 and out percentage. You seem to be the only one in your own world when it comes to Gase.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

LOL Crowder had a career year? He did what he was doing in Washington.  Darnold went into year 2 of his career, of course he'll improve.  Starting off year 3 isn't looking too hot.  What the hell research are you looking at? I wish I was this optimistic.

And the "research" has been posted by many about how players go on to have better years without him, how he turned LeVeon Bell into one of the least effective RBs and how the Jets have an absurdly high 3 and out percentage. You seem to be the only one in your own world when it comes to Gase.

Most receptions, yards and touchdowns Crowder ever had. 

Im not debating with YOU anymore. Enjoy your day man. 

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So he’s the reason we were losing but not the reason we were winning.

Sam needs more help but Gase has to work with what he has. 

You can’t say the talent is crap and then expect them to be better when the QB is missing guys running open. 

Gase is a great offensive mind, his offensive is extremely complex. I’m sure none of you really even know what he’s running but I digress. 

Point is we don’t know enough about this team right now. But you yourself has complained about the talent level which leads me to question could any coach outside of Belichick win with this team. 

IF THE OFFENSE IS EXTREMELY COMPLEX THEN CHANGE IT TO MAKE IT WORK.  

He is incapable of catering to players' strengths.