2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

53 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

A lot of times when you see teams make a trade like a 1 and 2 swap that team who gets 1 tells that team who they are taking. This happend when Eli was drafted 1 and Rivers drafted because The Chargers told the Giants to take Rivers. There is a lot more back door talk than we or the medis know about. 

Massive difference was SD had like the 4th pick or something like that so there was 2 picks in between. If the Jags want Fields then they can’t trade lower than #2 because more than likely we take him. They can’t get cute and that’s why I think they won’t mess around and probs just go Lawrence. 

I'm still not convinced that we should be hiring a college HC. We are a special situation. Nobody wins here. Like, ever. I don't want a guy who is removed from the NFL. It sounds exciting on paper, but with us it scares the bejeesus out of me. I don't want outside the box. I don't want a guy nobody else wants. I want the most obvious choice, without any drama.

Still sticking to my top two choices: Bieniemy if we go for an offensive guy; Saleh if we go for a defensive guy.

I don't know who Bieniemy would hire as DC, but we assume Saleh would bring Mike McDaniel with him from SF and we would pattern our offense after theirs. That means power running, the tight end playing a prominent role as an all-around type and some gadget plays. YAC is important, as well. If it's Bieniemy, we would probably throw the ball down the field a lot more, the tight end would still play a big role on offense (moreso in the passing game) and the running back would be far more involved in the passing game. 

These are the two teams that met in the SB last year, so I would be perfectly OK with either setup. The DC situation if we hire Bieniemy is a bit of a concern, though. One guy I would love to get out of NE is linebackers coach Jerod Mayo. Don't know if he wants to leave, but with Steve Belichick calling plays perhaps Mayo would be interested in a DC position elsewhere?

16 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't know who Bieniemy would hire as DC, but we assume Saleh would bring Mike McDaniel with him from SF and we would pattern our offense after theirs. That means power running, the tight end playing a prominent role as an all-around type and some gadget plays. YAC is important, as well. If it's Bieniemy, we would probably throw the ball down the field a lot more, the tight end would still play a big role on offense (moreso in the passing game) and the running back would be far more involved in the passing game. 

Outside zone running scheme not power. 

Also the passing game in this scheme can utilize any offensive player as the focal point, it really depends on personnel. 

Shanahan uses Kittle, Lafluer uses Adams, McVay uses everyone. That's the beauty of it.

12 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Cool. I just was going with what I had heard here on this board. 

If you heard McDaniel going with Saleh then you should ignore that because it wont' happen.

LaFleur and Saleh are family friends.

I strongly believe that McDaniel will be OC for Shanahan.

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Massive difference was SD had like the 4th pick or something like that so there was 2 picks in between. If the Jags want Fields then they can’t trade lower than #2 because more than likely we take him. They can’t get cute and that’s why I think they won’t mess around and probs just go Lawrence. 

That’s what I’m saying.  I mean I get the idea of trying to get more picks, but the Jets aren’t the team to do that with.  Say you trade with the bengals, move down to 4 and hope for fields (if I’m the jags) then the bengals take Sewell 1, Jets take fields/Lawrence and the dolphins, who might say let’s take Fields, and then they’re screwed!  If they like fields, they’ll take him at 1.  If they like Lawrence, they’ll take him at 1.  I’m fine at 2 with Lawrence, Fields or Wilson.

55 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

That’s what I’m saying.  I mean I get the idea of trying to get more picks, but the Jets aren’t the team to do that with.  Say you trade with the bengals, move down to 4 and hope for fields (if I’m the jags) then the bengals take Sewell 1, Jets take fields/Lawrence and the dolphins, who might say let’s take Fields, and then they’re screwed!  If they like fields, they’ll take him at 1.  If they like Lawrence, they’ll take him at 1.  I’m fine at 2 with Lawrence, Fields or Wilson.

Yeah 100%. If we were #4th then maybe they slide down a pick because whoever is coming up for Lawerence would then leave Fields for them at 2. However.....

We own the 2nd overall pick and if they got cute by trading #1 to Cincy for a LT then both Lawrence and Fields could conceivably go 2&3 leaving the Jags ****ed!

Even with the potential Meyer hiring I still think they are 99% going Lawerence but it’s fun to think about.  

• Like 1