2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

I’m against hiring any Defensive Coordinator as HC. We are more than likely going to draft a QB. The HC will hire an OC. If that OC is any good there is a good chance he leaves after a year or two for a HC job. If he’s bad there’s a good chance he gets fired. In either case our young QB will have to learn another system. The QB is the most important position and needs consistency, at least the first few years of his career. Hiring an OC as HC would provide that stability

i know that’s a simplistic view and considering the way “offensive genus” Gase didn’t help Darnold, possibly wrong, but I want to limit the excuses for another young QB. If Fields is another Mariotta or Wilson is another Rosen nothing can be done, but I want him put into a system that will be built around his strengths and give him the best chances to succeed.

4 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I’m against hiring any Defensive Coordinator as HC. We are more than likely going to draft a QB. The HC will hire an OC. If that OC is any good there is a good chance he leaves after a year or two for a HC job. If he’s bad there’s a good chance he gets fired. In either case our young QB will have to learn another system. The QB is the most important position and needs consistency, at least the first few years of his career. Hiring an OC as HC would provide that stability

i know that’s a simplistic view and considering the way “offensive genus” Gase didn’t help Darnold, possibly wrong, but I want to limit the excuses for another young QB. If Fields is another Mariotta or Wilson is another Rosen nothing can be done, but I want him put into a system that will be built around his strengths and give him the best chances to succeed.

The issue with hiring a DC as our new HC is that, that makes 2 guys we have to hire being incredibly crucial for this franchise. Bc who we then hire as OC is pretty much just as important as who the HC is. Whether it be that OC trying to make a drafted QB a franchise QB or it be that OC trying to reroute Darnolds career here. The OC regardless is huge for us.

BUT if we hire an OC as our HC than its kinda knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone. 

7 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

This thinking limits a team so much. A HEAD COACH is not only supposed to be a Quarterback developer. There's a ton of things that will help a QB be great;

1. The QB playing well

2. Structure and discipline

3. Scheming and game planning 

4. Having a complete team the QB doesn't have to carry

A great head coach will find the best OC for their QB and if they get poached then they will find another. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This thinking limits a team so much. A HEAD COACH is not only supposed to be a Quarterback developer. There's a ton of things that will help a QB be great;

1. The QB playing well

A great head coach will find the best OC for their QB and if they get poached then they will find another. 

I agree. Not to mention what are the chances that we develop into a good enough O or D to where the OC or DC would be poached in a year?  By the time we are a good enough team (2-3 years?) the system will be established and our HC will be able to internally replace whoever he loses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

1. The QB playing well

Exactly - When Joe is connecting these interviews, he is also learning who the interviewee's staff would be which leads into questions on how they would handle the development of a young QB

Guys, remember - we are finally going to build a complete staff. That means the QB coach is just as important as the OC and the OC is just as important as the HC

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I agree. Not to mention what are the chances that we develop into a good enough O or D to where the OC or DC would be poached in a year?  By the time we are a good enough team (2-3 years?) the system will be established and our HC will be able to internally replace whoever he loses. 

Its what the great teams do

Rummors are alreday starting that the Jets could be making a trade with the eagles for Doug Peterson. Right now there is a better chance that Peterson is moved than staying. I would not give up much more than a 4th round pick for the guy. I do think he is a good coach and players love to play for him but that last game was just plan wierd. I think he is better than most coahces and I would take him over most guys. I would put him in my top 5. 

35 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Rummors are alreday starting that the Jets could be making a trade with the eagles for Doug Peterson. Right now there is a better chance that Peterson is moved than staying. I would not give up much more than a 4th round pick for the guy. I do think he is a good coach and players love to play for him but that last game was just plan wierd. I think he is better than most coahces and I would take him over most guys. I would put him in my top 5. 

Cant see this happening. I think the connection from JD to Pederson is the only reason its rumored.

That being said I think if he gets fired we could go after him. But I see no way JD gives up a pick for a guy that might get fired.

41 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

He just won them a Super Bowl and they want to move on? How does that not scare the **** out of you?

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

He just won them a Super Bowl and they want to move on? How does that not scare the **** out of you?

Read Both:
It should... oh it should. He also wanted to promote our "Passing Game Coordinator" Press Taylor to "Offensive Coordinator".

Basically all of these people are internal/people who've been here before under Doug Pederson in this same absolutely abominable system. Doug is a hardcore nepotist.