2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A legit worry with me regarding Saleh is not having the talent he had in SF here in NY. Its true with a lot of coaches... but it worries me with him. Much like Bienamy without his guys.

This is an added reason I like Daboll.

I think we have more talent now then when Saleh first got to SF - look at what he does with players. Look at Jason Verrett

I'm honestly not worried about that at all

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. Doesn't fit with the way JD conducts business. 

Really? Didn't we conduct 9 interviews? That's way more than anyone else

You don't want to ring around the rosy for weeks on end - that's how you end up with Adam Gase

I think this is going perfectly

• Like 1

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

25th and 28th are literally bottom of the pit

17th is average.

Less points your opponent scores the better.

Yeah 25th and 28th those first two seasons taking over the league's worst defense.  I imagine it takes a year or two to fix the NFL's worst unit. 

So you don't care about yards at all?  Even though points could be skewed by special teams TDs, pick 6's, etc. 

Plus finishing this season 17th with all the injuries they had is pretty damn impressive to me.

Guess we just interpret "above average" a bit different.  

14 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Just seems to be out of the norm from what Douglas said the search would be like. This isn't thorough at all unless every other candidate bombed and Saleh had an amazing interview it just doesn't make sense. Like I'd be happy with Saleh too but I'd feel like we rushed. 

I don’t think it’s rushed for a couple reasons. 

1. In JD’s words he did cast a wide net and interviewed I believe 7 candidates. So it’s not like he wasn’t thorough in that regard.

2. After the initial interviews if you know who you want you go for it before someone else does. You don’t want someone to act too slowly and patient and not get the person they want and are forced to settle. 

I trust JD and would love the Sallah hire if it’s true and that’s the way they go

2 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Yeah 25th and 28th those first two seasons taking over the league's worst defense.  I imagine it takes a year or two to fix the NFL's worst unit. 

So you don't care about yards at all?  Even though points could be skewed by special teams TDs, pick 6's, etc. 

Plus finishing this season 17th with all the injuries they had is pretty damn impressive to me.

Guess we just interpret "above average" a bit different.  

Yards is often times a function of the distance a team has travel so if you have good special teams or bad special teams it plays a role. Rex's defenses suffered points wise because of offenses couldn't move the ball so teams didn't have to go the length of the field to score so our defensive ranking in terms of yards was low but we couldn't stop teams from scoring. 

Pick 6s dont count towards points against your defense

Above average is league average, thats how I interpret it. I think he's a good coach but using the talent argument his first two years contradicts a lot of people who criticized other coaches for not succeeding with less talent as well. 

2 minutes ago, bspice said:

I don’t think it’s rushed for a couple reasons. 

1. In JD’s words he did cast a wide net and interviewed I believe 7 candidates. So it’s not like he wasn’t thorough in that regard.

2. After the initial interviews if you know who you want you go for it before someone else does. You don’t want someone to act too slowly and patient and not get the person they want and are forced to settle. 

I trust JD and would love the Sallah hire if it’s true and that’s the way they go

Meeting 1 guy in person and hiring him is rushing IMO however if he's the guy he's the guy but to me its just hard to determine that with him getting a 2nd interview and not talking to the rest. 

I would give Daboll, Staley and Bieniemy shots to prove themselves this weekend and really stand out. A huge part of the reason Saleh is a top candidate is the SB run the 49ers made and if a lot of teams had been patient he might have been hired last off-season. 

The reason media thought Jets' HC was Saleh's to take tonight is Daboll, Staley and Bieniemy can't meet with Jets in person until their respective team is actually done playing football game.  Waiting for those guys may be problematic for someone who worries about assembling staffs (Earliest hire better gathering staffs)

Eberflus and Smith are no slouch so Jets have no reason to skip in person meeting with both unless JD is already sold on Saleh. That part we certainly don't know yet.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Really? Didn't we conduct 9 interviews? That's way more than anyone else

You don't want to ring around the rosy for weeks on end - that's how you end up with Adam Gase

I think this is going perfectly

Yea but hiring a coach isn’t a coupon day things. A good search sometimes takes a couple weeks doing several interviews with multiple guys. Really making sure you get a guy your on the same page with and you trust.

JD won’t rush a hire Bc of rumors and with pretty much everyone he’s interviewed (might be everyone) still available. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Hence he is a faker. lol

Are we talking about Marvez?  Marvez is a fairly well respected co-host with Gil Brandt, Polian and several others on the SeriusXM NFL Network.  I've listened to him for years. Well reasoned and well informed.  Not a gossip type.  He's into wrestling.  I know some very smart, reasonable people who love that stuff.  Not my thing, but not any reason to cast doubt on sources here.

Edited by dcat

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How do you guys feel about Saleh only coaching one above average defense in his 4 years as a coordinator?

Worth noting, but I feel like Saleh is better suited to be a HC. Just a hunch, nothing objective to back it up, but the guy just seems like that CEO type I want cultivated a culture here.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yea but hiring a coach isn’t a coupon day things. A good search sometimes takes a couple weeks doing several interviews with multiple guys. Really making sure you get a guy your on the same page with and you trust.

JD won’t rush a hire Bc of rumors and with pretty much everyone he’s interviewed (might be everyone) still available. 

He might be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  You know how Jets fans are. 

If they sign him tonight, it will be no doubt: "JD in a state of panic! too soon! SOJ!" and those will be the polite bashings.  If Saleh is driven back to Morristown Airport and ends up signing somewhere else in the next 2 days it will be "blew the best opportunity! Too chicken to pull trigger.  Sniped by the Lions...  " and on and on and on.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Just seems to be out of the norm from what Douglas said the search would be like. This isn't thorough at all unless every other candidate bombed and Saleh had an amazing interview it just doesn't make sense. Like I'd be happy with Saleh too but I'd feel like we rushed. 

How is it rushed?  We interviewed like 12 candidates.

Who else are we waiting on?  Other teams are going to start offering positions to guys so if you love a guy why not go get him.  What more can you learn about the guys you interviewed by waiting.  JD obviously has a good feel for all of the candidates and may have it down to a few favorites.

12 minutes ago, dcat said:

He might be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  You know how Jets fans are. 

If they sign him tonight, it will be no doubt: "JD in a state of panic! too soon! SOJ!" and those will be the polite bashings.  If Saleh is driven back to Morristown Airport and ends up signing somewhere else in the next 2 days it will be "blew the best opportunity! Too chicken to pull trigger.  Sniped by the Lions...  " and on and on and on.

Yup because ever since this news broke fans have been all over Saleh so if we dont get him then we missed the board and blew it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

How is it rushed?  We interviewed like 12 candidates.

Who else are we waiting on?  Other teams are going to start offering positions to guys so if you love a guy why not go get him.  What more can you learn about the guys you interviewed by waiting.  JD obviously has a good feel for all of the candidates and may have it down to a few favorites.

You would assume after the first round of interviews they would narrow it down to a few guys they really like not just one guy. Thats the part that feels rushed. 

I have more faith in JD to do it so maybe its just the PTSD in me.