2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

41 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Urban Meyer to Jax confirmed.

Great news for us because it takes a team that many view as more desirable than us out of the running for candidates we like. 

I'm being selfish, but I hope the Bills and Rams lose this weekend because those are the only teams still in the playoffs with candidates we're interested in. 

Eric B. we have interest into.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

What does Saleh bring with him offensively (bc at the end of the day that's what 90% of what we need work on)

I can understand a lot of what you wrote except the above. Do you really believe 90% of our issues were on O?  I can certainly see more FA $ going to O to get that immediate fix (WR, OL, maybe TE) but I can’t agree with 90% of our entire offseason resources spent on O. That would be lunacy. We are not going to have the KC offense next year.  We need a CB and EDGE as much as anything else.

For the record, I am in favor of Smith over Daboll. Not of fan of one hit wonders after years of mediocrity.  But if JD chooses any of the known candidates, I am good with that. Except Lewis and Glenn. 

Edited by xrade

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can understand a lot of what you wrote except the above. Do you really believe 90% of our issues were on O?  I can certainly see more FA $ going to O to get that immediate fix (WR, OL, maybe TE) but I can’t agree with 90% of our entire offseason resources spent on O. That would be lunacy. We are not going to have the KC offense next year.  We need a CB and EDGE as much as anything else.

For the record, I am in favor of Smith over Daboll. Not of fan of one hit wonders after years of mediocrity.  But if JD chooses any of the known candidates, I am good with that. Except Lewis and Glenn. 

Yes we have a incredible IDL. Our LB group is very good as well (we get arguable the best ILB probably back in 2021). There’s optimism is the secondary with young talent if we resign Maye and Poole. Hall, Poole, Maye, Davis, Austin is an optimistic group. There’s young talent at edge. So yes I do think 90% of the issue is on defense. We still need a legit edge and maybe just a more vet presence on outside CB... but that’s it. On offense... we darn near need everything still.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes we have a incredible IDL. Our LB group is very good as well (we get arguable the best ILB probably back in 2021). There’s optimism is the secondary with young talent if we resign Maye and Poole. Hall, Poole, Maye, Davis, Austin is an optimistic group. There’s young talent at edge. So yes I do think 90% of the issue is on defense. We still need a legit edge and maybe just a more vet presence on outside CB... but that’s it. On offense... we darn near need everything still.

Yeah defense is more scheme issues than anything especially on the backend. We def need an EDGE but overall we need to invest in players offensively. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

This is what I’m hoping for as well. Saleh checks the box. What about Staley makes you think he can be a culture changer? I’ve seen his name floated around. So trying to get hyped about him if we do hire him.

Martindale i think would fall in this category as well.

Matt Campbell would have been perfect.

The more you read into Staley, it's hard not to be impressed. Football smarts jump out, but a lot of his players (Notably Ramsey), rave about his ability to connect as a players coach. Saleh is still more along the lines of what I'm looking for in terms of leadership, charism, etc. and ultimately, brining in a culture builder is my top priority. Staley is the better coordinator IMO and seems to be revered enough by his players to make you think he too could take on that leadership role.

I'm with you on Campbell, he was easily my favorite option out of the gate.

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

He doesn't look like a HC, now that I've seen his face I don't want him.

Lol he gives me Adam Gase vibes. Don’t get me wrong his done a fine job in Tennessee but he’s more along the lines of the methodical coordinator type whereas for me we need the CEO style head coach (Shaw, Riley etc) or fiery get up coach (Saleh).
Can’t have another mild bland head coach after the walking dead in the last two coaches we had (yes Bowles is talented but he bored me to death)  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Lol he gives me Adam Gase vibes. Don’t get me wrong his done a fine job in Tennessee but he’s more along the lines of the methodical coordinator type whereas for me we need the CEO style head coach (Shaw, Riley etc) or fiery get up coach (Saleh).
Can’t have another mild bland head coach after the walking dead in the last two coaches we had (yes Bowles is talented but he bored me to death)  

His dad is the CEO of FEDEX... I'm pretty sure he has the CEO gene ;)

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Chargers only job available better than ours IMO. Plus Saleh wouldn’t have to move his family across the country. I would take it if I was him but I’m not him. 

I think the chargers really like Daboll and are willing to wait until at least this weekend to see what happens.