2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

Who gives a **** about figure-personality.   Andy Reid and Bill Belichick are boring figures as hell and yet they run good football teams.

If you eliminate Arthur Smith because of a lack of emotion to show then you have to dump Brian Daboll as well.

If Joe Douglas is able to see beyond the sideline appearance on tape then we should expect one that will be in full effect to bring relevance to Jets.

Two things that worry me if we hire Saleh that aren't directly about his ability to coach but the position it puts us in. 

1. Personnel- With so many teams running Carroll's style defense in some form or another(I think half the league potentially) it will be very difficult to find players that fit the scheme, not because they're scarce but because everyone will be looking for the same types of players. 

2- Gameplanning- The more teams see this defense the better they will get at stopping it. This is why Seattle has taken a huge step back defensively. They went from being the only team who sought that personnel and ran the defense to a fighting with other teams for the same ingredients and naturally NFL teams have adapted to it. 

I want a unique, evolving approach to personnel as the game changes and game planning making it difficult for teams to know just exactly how to beat us. 

30 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Ok I've changed mind I don't want Arthur Smith just because I don't wanna hear every Sunday that his dad owns FedEx ala "Fitzpatrick went to Harvard" or "Tannehil was a WR" 

Smith is actually incredibly humble. In TEN nearly everyone in the organization didn't know about it, bc he doesn't like talking about it or parading it around. Bc he wants to pave his own way and make his own name in the field he loves. 

• Like 2

From what 49ers fans say, Saleh's defense wasn't necessarily exactly like the Caroll cover 3 especially the last couple of years. Also looking at their team it does not appear that their players really look like what you'd expect from that model outside of Sherman. I get that fear to am extent but a good coach picks good players and coaches em up, and that's what Saleh did in SF.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Chargers only job available better than ours IMO. Plus Saleh wouldn’t have to move his family across the country. I would take it if I was him but I’m not him. 

They’re definitely the most attractive job. I would think they would want to put Herbert in a vertical offense. Dude has a great deep ball and can really attack the D deep. Maybe he transcends scheme though.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Smith is actually incredibly humble. In TEN nearly everyone in the organization didn't know about it, bc he doesn't like talking about it or parading it around. Bc he wants to pave his own way and make his own name in the field he loves. 

Plagiarism is still illegal here in the forum.😎

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not him mentioning it that I'm concerned about, justbroadcast teams. Also I was mostly kidding because it's already been mentioned so many times in the last couple days ha. Still a fan of his.

1 minute ago, Sandwhich2 said:

From what 49ers fans say, Saleh's defense wasn't necessarily exactly like the Caroll cover 3 especially the last couple of years. Also looking at their team it does not appear that their players really look like what you'd expect from that model outside of Sherman. I get that fear to am extent but a good coach picks good players and coaches em up, and that's what Saleh did in SF.

The core principles are the same, types of players needed. San Fran took that leap when they got the speed at linebackers and the EDGE rushers they needed. 

The Seattle defense is a Tampa 2 variant as is the Bills defense and the Colts and the Browns and now the Raiders, Cowboys and God knows who else will keep/adapt to that style. Each team has their own twist on it obviously.

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Two things that worry me if we hire Saleh that aren't directly about his ability to coach but the position it puts us in. 

1. Personnel- With so many teams running Carroll's style defense in some form or another(I think half the league potentially) it will be very difficult to find players that fit the scheme, not because they're scarce but because everyone will be looking for the same types of players. 

2- Gameplanning- The more teams see this defense the better they will get at stopping it. This is why Seattle has taken a huge step back defensively. They went from being the only team who sought that personnel and ran the defense to a fighting with other teams for the same ingredients and naturally NFL teams have adapted to it. 

I want a unique, evolving approach to personnel as the game changes and game planning making it difficult for teams to know just exactly how to beat us. 

As start up team? it is going to be tough to get it done.   Offense part is important because it can burn a lot of time and leave defense a little amount of playtime. It may help avoid being exposed frequently.

5 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

He also did convert to man coverage when Sherman was down.