2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

He also did convert to man coverage when Sherman was down.

Every team runs a little bit of something, I'm not making that point. 

At his defenses best what is it he needs to be successful and its going to be very similar to other teams. 

Chris Simms did a really good breakdown of it I think last year, basically outlined that there are holes the defense knows exist in the coverage shells but with an elite pass rush and constant pressure offenses cant always get the ball there. But as time went on teams began adding what they call "Seattle beaters" to their playbooks 

I just think the best teams are the ones with the more unique approaches to their style of play. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

One issue hurting Seattle’s is they are not able to get pressure off the edge. Jamal is their best pass rusher. Same issue with the Jets. We will need to prioritize an edge rusher.

Yup, Dunlap gave them a nice threat off the edge but he isn't exactly elite. Its why I was never worried about them going far this season.

Arthur Smith plans to have in person interview with 4 teams.  It will take a while if he is the one for Jets.

I could not find 3rd candidate for 2nd interview new.

Rams will play Packers on Saturday so if Rams won then I could see Jets and Saleh finalize the contract this weekend.

10 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/how-the-49ers-defense-will-change-in-2020

Quick little article about how Saleh changed up from the Seahawks model after the first couple years, both to fit personnel and advance the defense in changing NFL. Particularly like how hires were made of coaches with different schematic tendencies.

This is all good stuff, again its not about his inability to adapt but that with teams sharing a similar approach and this being a copy cat league they're going to see what he does and steal it. And then another team does it and so on. And you could say well teams might steal what Staley does well Pete Carroll's tree is the go to tree for defensive coordinators. 

I just fear running a similar style defense as so many other teams that we go into games we are predictable. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Every team runs a little bit of something, I'm not making that point. 

At his defenses best what is it he needs to be successful and its going to be very similar to other teams. 

Chris Simms did a really good breakdown of it I think last year, basically outlined that there are holes the defense knows exist in the coverage shells but with an elite pass rush and constant pressure offenses cant always get the ball there. But as time went on teams began adding what they call "Seattle beaters" to their playbooks 

I just think the best teams are the ones with the more unique approaches to their style of play. 

I guess we need DC that doesn't stick with defense blueprint.  Vibrant match up or something like that.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not dismissing it, I'm just trying to counter that worry by saying if he's truly a good coach he'll see that and change up his structure to accommodate the type of talent that IS more available. This starts with him being an actual head coach and not just a DC with a head coach title.

1 minute ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I understand what you're saying and I'm not dismissing it, I'm just trying to counter that worry by saying if he's truly a good coach he'll see that and change up his structure to accommodate the type of talent that IS more available. This starts with him being an actual head coach and not just a DC with a head coach title.

That shows he was willing to upgrade defense scheme as DC.  Imagine that he was HC/CEO.

However, we still aren't certain about Saleh calling defense or not.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

That shows he was willing to upgrade defense scheme as DC.  Imagine that he was HC/CEO.

However, we still aren't certain about Saleh calling defense or not.

No we are not.

I'm also very very curious what Arthur Smith said in his interviews. From the podcasts I listen and articles I read on him, he always took a job and did the exact responsibilities of that job. Maybe he understands that as a HC his priority would not be to call the offense. We're still not really sure where this idea that he said he'd just worry about the offense and hire a DC-HC came from, and to be honest I don't believs it's real. It doesn't sound like his personality and it doesn't make sense that he'd even have a second interview with the Jets if that were true, given what they've been saying about their search.

10 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

No we are not.

I'm also very very curious what Arthur Smith said in his interviews. From the podcasts I listen and articles I read on him, he always took a job and did the exact responsibilities of that job. Maybe he understands that as a HC his priority would not be to call the offense. We're still not really sure where this idea that he said he'd just worry about the offense and hire a DC-HC came from, and to be honest I don't believs it's real. It doesn't sound like his personality and it doesn't make sense that he'd even have a second interview with the Jets if that were true, given what they've been saying about their search.

I dont mind our HC calling the offense or defense I just want them to have a great understanding of the actual defense/offense we're running because when that coordinator gets poached you dont want to take steps back in that area. 

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I dont mind our HC calling the offense or defense I just want them to have a great understanding of the actual defense/offense we're running because when that coordinator gets poached you dont want to take steps back in that area. 

Saleh and Staley likely have knowledge of WCO.   Smith runs WCO but him having knowledge of defense remains unknown. Unfortunately.