2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

Look, gase may very well be a "brilliant offensive mind", but what does he need in order for that brilliance to shine?  Do we have the time to get those players? He may convince people like Chrissy that his X's and O's are genius, but if it does not translate to the field for whatever reason, it is a failure.  A good coach will have his dream O or D or ST in his head, but you still have to play to the strengths of the players you have now and incorporate bits of your brilliant scheme as you are able to acquire more of the players you need to create a fully functional system.

gase just refuses to alter his mindset.  His stubbornness is what will get him fired and he will never be a HC again. 

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

Look, gase may very well be a "brilliant offensive mind", but what does he need in order for that brilliance to shine?  Do we have the time to get those players? He may convince people like Chrissy that his X's and O's are genius, but if it does not translate to the field for whatever reason, it is a failure.  A good coach will have his dream O or D or ST in his head, but you still have to play to the strengths of the players you have now and incorporate bits of your brilliant scheme as you are able to acquire more of the players you need to create a fully functional system.

gase just refuses to alter his mindset.  His stubbornness is what will get him fired and he will never be a HC again. 

Last year, Gase accepted the HC job knowing that he had no control of franchise but what MM did during the FA period made Gase revert to old self.  That shows his true color, unfortunately.

17 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

With the picks, rookies, and cap space, we just need to go all in for the right coach. There is no roster to blow up, we're still building. We will obviously be in position to get Lawrence,  Fields, or Chase next season. Also continue to build the o-line through Becton. 

I just want Gase gone and the young guys healthy enough to keep developing 

+1 . We have no roster to blow up. Like most have been saying on this board, we are missing high end talent everywhere. We have descent complimentary players. We have no guys on offense we can feature. 

Edited by SDotNova

Mike Greenberg touched on this yesterday. But the Jets have created a FO where it eliminates a lot of top guys we might want. To generally get a top college coach... you have to give them some control. When we gave JD a big contract that pretty much eliminated any high end Hc we can hire. A guy like Harbaugh, Dabo, Riley, etc. will all want controlling power. And we can’t offer that. So that pretty much eliminates them.

That’s why I want Daboll or Bienamy. It’s realistic. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Mike Greenberg touched on this yesterday. But the Jets have created a FO where it eliminates a lot of top guys we might want. To generally get a top college coach... you have to give them some control. When we gave JD a big contract that pretty much eliminated any high end Hc we can hire. A guy like Harbaugh, Dabo, Riley, etc. will all want controlling power. And we can’t offer that. So that pretty much eliminates them.

That’s why I want Daboll or Bienamy. It’s realistic. 

How many teams HC have controlling power?

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not many. But the names that it appears fans want on here are the guys that want control power. So you can eliminate them. I keep seeing people mention Harbaugh, Dabo and Riley. They all aren’t coming unless they have power. And we won’t offer that. So our options are just regular HCs. Which is fine. But it’s pointless to wish for guys who want power. 

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

let me try.

BB,  BOB, Gruden, Reid, Carroll, Shanahan(most part), Payton.  

Last time HC with largest role in handling franchise was Bill Parcells (Rich Kotite was last one that failed).

Still rare but I don't think Johnsons will be okay with having HC that controls the franchise again.

The question is if we have the chance to get a Harbaugh for example and Douglas isn’t willing to concede the 53(which is really all power is) what do we do?

If we bring in a hot coordinator I want a guy who’s done it for years with different teams with different types of players. Shows adaptability and an ability to adjust year to year should personnel change or the game evolve.

Not to mention we forget about the fact that a head coaches responsibilities go further than just the offense and/or defense they’ll implement. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The question is if we have the chance to get a Harbaugh for example and Douglas isn’t willing to concede the 53(which is really all power is) what do we do?

If we bring in a hot coordinator I want a guy who’s done it for years with different teams with different types of players. Shows adaptability and an ability to adjust year to year should personnel change or the game evolve.

Not to mention we forget about the fact that a head coaches responsibilities go further than just the offense and/or defense they’ll implement. 

Not my money but Woody is going to want Harbaugh as hes expressed interest before. If Harbaugh and Douglas cant compromise on personnel decisions, I would send Joe packing even with all those years left on the contract. Harbaugh has won everywhere hes coached. Hes a true leader and true HC who can oversee the entire team. I like Douglas and I believe he knows what he is doing, I truly believe that, but getting Harbaugh would do way more for the direction of this franchise than anyone else we could get. 

EDIT: I say this even with Joe Douglas having a really bad first year. I still believe in this guy. Just would much rather have Harbaugh.

Edited by ekill08x
  • Like 1

Because of the type of team Harbaugh worked with in San Fran & the type of team Joe Douglas is building,  it wouldn't surprise me they worked well together. If the draft picks can prove they're good, I'm sure JH wouldn't mind working with a GM that know what he is doing + have the same vision. 

Edited by rickyt31