2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

A lot of good coaching candidates this year. We're going to come away with a good coach if JD is picking his guy. Arthur Smith, Eric B, Harbaugh, Campbell , Roman, Brady, Martindale, and a couple of others are good imo. 

I'm just ready to get gase out and move forward 

I wonder how blunt CJ is.

I’m a pretty straight forward guy. If I was him... I would’ve had the conversation already with Gase that went something like this...

Adam, you know when it’s a regular season MLB game and the starter gives up 10 runs in the 1st few innings and the manager leaves them in even though they’re pitching awful just to eat some innings and not burn the bullpen? That’s what I’m going to be doing with you this season. I don’t want to make our OC and DC our HC. So I need you to coach this team the rest of the season, but you will be gone on black Monday. If you can’t accept that, I will have to fire you now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I wonder how blunt CJ is.

I’m a pretty straight forward guy. If I was him... I would’ve had the conversation already with Gase that went something like this...

Adam, you know when it’s a regular season MLB game and the starter gives up 10 runs in the 1st few innings and the manager leaves them in even though they’re pitching awful just to eat some innings and not burn the bullpen? That’s what I’m going to be doing with you this season. I don’t want to make our OC and DC our HC. So I need you to coach this team the rest of the season, but you will be gone on black Monday. If you can’t accept that, I will have to fire you now. 

Excellent analogy. 

Whoever we hire as new head coach, I just hope that HC is no different from JD's philosophy.  A lot of offensive mind coaches know only one thing, offensive playbook.

Dan Campbell can be a right fit for Jets' rebuilding program but as long as JD is in charge of roster, Dan has to work with whatever JD collects for his talent. It may be a serious backfire if Dan couldn't.   Coaches of either Eagles or Ravens may work best for Jets with JD in full charge.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really think he's going to go for the type of coach the Ravens would go for. The last draft class felt like the type of picks Baltimore would have made. We even added a couple of former Ravens.  He groomed his scouting ways with them and experienced 2 super bowls with them. 

JD will have a tough decision to make. You can set up a playoff bracket of the coaching options. I feel like I can name about 7 coaches that are better than the options we had before hiring Gase. Martindale understand what is needed on offense like Vrabel & McDermott, he would be another great coach. 

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, I really think he's going to go for the type of coach the Ravens would go for. The last draft class felt like the type of picks Baltimore would have made. We even added a couple of former Ravens.  He groomed his scouting ways with them and experienced 2 super bowls with them. 

JD will have a tough decision to make. You can set up a playoff bracket of the coaching options. I feel like I can name about 7 coaches that are better than the options we had before hiring Gase. Martindale understand what is needed on offense like Vrabel & McDermott, he would be another great coach. 

Martindale's HC back in Denver was Josh McDaniels.  Ready to get comforty. heh.

• Like 1

Think Bienemy heads to Houston but my big board is:

1.Arthur Smith

2.Matt Campbell

3.Brian Dabol

4.Dan Mullen

5.Greg Roman

dont think Harbaugh leaves until next year so that’s why I left him off the list. PJ Fleck and Nick Sirianni are some other guys I like

Edited by Dr.O

The interesting thing about Roman outside of his ability to adapt his offense around different QBs is the defenses he has experienced. Currently with the Ravens but also experienced a top 49ers defense that also ran the 3-4. Heavy front 7 defense, strong oline & rushing attacks. The same team JD will likely try to build. 

Just now, rickyt31 said:

The interesting thing about Roman outside of his ability to adapt his offense around different QBs is the defenses he has experienced. Currently with the Ravens but also experienced a top 49ers defense that also ran the 3-4. Heavy front 7 defense, strong oline & rushing attacks. The same team JD will likely try to build. 

Roman should run the similar system as Jim H.

I've narrowed down my list to my 3 favorites.

Bieniemy, A. Smith, and Campbell are my top choices with dark horse candidates in Monken and Joe Brady.

Brady is probably still a few years away from getting a shot but if we wanted to actually try to be ahead of the curve on something he would be the next McVay type hire.

I think of I had a choice it would be Campbell, Bieniemy, Smith in that order.  Can't go wrong with any of them though.  

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've narrowed down my list to my 3 favorites.

Bieniemy, A. Smith, and Campbell are my top choices with dark horse candidates in Monken and Joe Brady.

Brady is probably still a few years away from getting a shot but if we wanted to actually try to be ahead of the curve on something he would be the next McVay type hire.

I think of I had a choice it would be Campbell, Bieniemy, Smith in that order.  Can't go wrong with any of them though.  

Shane Waldron with Charlie Weis as Senior special advisor.

Mike LaFleur with Mike Shanahan as SSA.

Joe Brady with ?

Jim Harbaugh, Matt Campbell, Greg Roman, Don Martindale, Eric Bienemy, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith. 

I want to kick Brady off my list because of the lack of experience but he is too good. He has our former backup QB (Bridgewater) 5th in the league with passing yards. Our former WR (Some called him a 1 trick pony) 2nd in the league behind Hopkins. This is after losing CMC. Fields, Darnold, or Lawrence should be in good hands with him. 

I tried to knock Arthur Smith as well, but how he kept his offense together with 3 days of practice out of 16 days before crushing Buffalo was amazing. He made amazing adjustments vs the Steelers. The world knew Henry was getting the ball and he still got almost 4ypc vs the #1 run defense. Not only that, Tannehill still looked sharp. 

Eric B has called plays in big games, but since Andy Reid did most of the play calling, that means Eric B had to spend more time developing his players and making sure they're prepared for each game. He's been in the coaching game since 2002 and always got good performances from his RBs. He was also involved with the development of Mahomes when people thought he was going to be a project that would take years to be a starter. I love his team approach. 

Martindale is my wild card if he has a clear understanding of what's needed on offense. I know everyone wants a "offensive guru", but I don't want to miss out on the next McDermott or Vrabel. While we load talent on offense, we know he can do more with less on defense to keep us in games. Now we're not asking a young QB to score 30+ to win games every week until the defense catches up. 

Greg Roman is probably in my top 3 right now. He helped Alex Smith turn his career, went to the SB with Kaepernick, and killing it with Lamar Jackson. He's also a former Oline coach Was with Harbaugh in Stanford & San Fran. So he'll dig deeper into prepping the oline. He was also an oline assistant during JD's time in Baltimore. RBs succeed in his offense and helps QBs. Also working on staffs that successfully ran the 3-4 defense (49ers & Ravens) allows him to know what's needed for it to work.  

Matt Campbell is a great HC. He beat Mahomes 66-10 at Texas Tech, beat Baker Mayfield during his big year, and upset a top 5 TCU. He beat Oklahoma again this year. He knows how to prepare his team for big games. His QB is performing well again and has one of the top rushers in the nation. Most people forget Iowa State has a football team. His body of work develop Toledo & Iowa is amazing. He's a former oline coach as well. He pretty much check all boxes. He's a motivating speaker and I believe players would love him. 

I know I'm the only one who believes we have a shot at Harbaugh if he doesn't win the big games this year. Most coaches don't play out the final year of their contracts and he's currently getting paid as a top 4 coach. That extension is very unlikely to come. He still brought Michigan back to life and  had a great run in San Fran. I remember original reports that JH wasn't interested in college and Michigan came in with their jet/big pitch to get him to change his mind. I think he's a much better fit for the NFL and believe he can transform our team faster than the other coaches. It won't be easy, he's still my #1 guy. I think hiring him will bring a spark to fans & organization. If JD is building Ravens 2.0 (Rushing & physical 3-4 defense), JH's work in san Fran shows he can make it happen. Harbaugh wasn't let go for losing, he bumped heads with a GM who eventually broke that team down and got fired 2 years later. He's still my #1 right now. 

• Like 1