2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Jim Harbaugh, Matt Campbell, Greg Roman, Don Martindale, Eric Bienemy, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith. 

I want to kick Brady off my list because of the lack of experience but he is too good. He has our former backup QB (Bridgewater) 5th in the league with passing yards. Our former WR (Some called him a 1 trick pony) 2nd in the league behind Hopkins. This is after losing CMC. Fields, Darnold, or Lawrence should be in good hands with him. 

I tried to knock Arthur Smith as well, but how he kept his offense together with 3 days of practice out of 16 days before crushing Buffalo was amazing. He made amazing adjustments vs the Steelers. The world knew Henry was getting the ball and he still got almost 4ypc vs the #1 run defense. Not only that, Tannehill still looked sharp. 

Eric B has called plays in big games, but since Andy Reid did most of the play calling, that means Eric B had to spend more time developing his players and making sure they're prepared for each game. He's been in the coaching game since 2002 and always got good performances from his RBs. He was also involved with the development of Mahomes when people thought he was going to be a project that would take years to be a starter. I love his team approach. 

Martindale is my wild card if he has a clear understanding of what's needed on offense. I know everyone wants a "offensive guru", but I don't want to miss out on the next McDermott or Vrabel. While we load talent on offense, we know he can do more with less on defense to keep us in games. Now we're not asking a young QB to score 30+ to win games every week until the defense catches up. 

Greg Roman is probably in my top 3 right now. He helped Alex Smith turn his career, went to the SB with Kaepernick, and killing it with Lamar Jackson. He's also a former Oline coach Was with Harbaugh in Stanford & San Fran. So he'll dig deeper into prepping the oline. He was also an oline assistant during JD's time in Baltimore. RBs succeed in his offense and helps QBs. Also working on staffs that successfully ran the 3-4 defense (49ers & Ravens) allows him to know what's needed for it to work.  

Matt Campbell is a great HC. He beat Mahomes 66-10 at Texas Tech, beat Baker Mayfield during his big year, and upset a top 5 TCU. He beat Oklahoma again this year. He knows how to prepare his team for big games. His QB is performing well again and has one of the top rushers in the nation. Most people forget Iowa State has a football team. His body of work develop Toledo & Iowa is amazing. He's a former oline coach as well. He pretty much check all boxes. He's a motivating speaker and I believe players would love him. 

I know I'm the only one who believes we have a shot at Harbaugh if he doesn't win the big games this year. Most coaches don't play out the final year of their contracts and he's currently getting paid as a top 4 coach. That extension is very unlikely to come. He still brought Michigan back to life and  had a great run in San Fran. I remember original reports that JH wasn't interested in college and Michigan came in with their jet/big pitch to get him to change his mind. I think he's a much better fit for the NFL and believe he can transform our team faster than the other coaches. It won't be easy, he's still my #1 guy. I think hiring him will bring a spark to fans & organization. If JD is building Ravens 2.0 (Rushing & physical 3-4 defense), JH's work in san Fran shows he can make it happen. Harbaugh wasn't let go for losing, he bumped heads with a GM who eventually broke that team down and got fired 2 years later. He's still my #1 right now. 

Campbell is my favorite but it sounds like he wants to remain at the collegiate level.

Eric B I'm not so high on.  The Andy Reid tree has been hit or miss as HC.  All of them are terrific OC/DC though.

Martindale I don't hate, just want an offensive guy.

Roman has been one of the best coordinators for a decade but never got his chance.  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Enter Arthur Smith.  I don't think Tennessee has a stacked team but they sure have gotten the best out of all their players.  Even when keying on Brown or Henry they still manage to put up points. I believe they are very disciplined too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I dont typically care if a guy can call plays, doesnt call plays, comes from offense or defense...the Jets need the absolute best LEADER they can possibly find. 

Yes. Agreed. 

The Head Coach needs to be identify the right coordinators based on the talent he has at his disposal. This allows him to be able to adapt as the roster changes. Example, if the strength of our team is say Becton/Clark/Humphrey as LT/LG/C then find a coordinator who can scheme a run game and playaction pass game around those 3. Or if the strength is some combination of Mims, Crowder, Chase, Perriman, Ross, Smith, Berrios for example then we find a guy who can run spread or empty concepts to give these guys space to operate and put pressure on defenses. 

Meanwhile the Head Coach has a strong overview of all 3 phases of play and creates the identity of the team which I want to be 

1. Toughness(mental and physical)

2. Discipline(not beating ourselves)

3. Good tackling(not giving up big plays)

4. Unselfishness(play for the Win not numbers)

17 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Jim Harbaugh, Matt Campbell, Greg Roman, Don Martindale, Eric Bienemy, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith. 

I want to kick Brady off my list because of the lack of experience but he is too good. He has our former backup QB (Bridgewater) 5th in the league with passing yards. Our former WR (Some called him a 1 trick pony) 2nd in the league behind Hopkins. This is after losing CMC. Fields, Darnold, or Lawrence should be in good hands with him. 

I tried to knock Arthur Smith as well, but how he kept his offense together with 3 days of practice out of 16 days before crushing Buffalo was amazing. He made amazing adjustments vs the Steelers. The world knew Henry was getting the ball and he still got almost 4ypc vs the #1 run defense. Not only that, Tannehill still looked sharp. 

Eric B has called plays in big games, but since Andy Reid did most of the play calling, that means Eric B had to spend more time developing his players and making sure they're prepared for each game. He's been in the coaching game since 2002 and always got good performances from his RBs. He was also involved with the development of Mahomes when people thought he was going to be a project that would take years to be a starter. I love his team approach. 

Martindale is my wild card if he has a clear understanding of what's needed on offense. I know everyone wants a "offensive guru", but I don't want to miss out on the next McDermott or Vrabel. While we load talent on offense, we know he can do more with less on defense to keep us in games. Now we're not asking a young QB to score 30+ to win games every week until the defense catches up. 

Greg Roman is probably in my top 3 right now. He helped Alex Smith turn his career, went to the SB with Kaepernick, and killing it with Lamar Jackson. He's also a former Oline coach Was with Harbaugh in Stanford & San Fran. So he'll dig deeper into prepping the oline. He was also an oline assistant during JD's time in Baltimore. RBs succeed in his offense and helps QBs. Also working on staffs that successfully ran the 3-4 defense (49ers & Ravens) allows him to know what's needed for it to work.  

Matt Campbell is a great HC. He beat Mahomes 66-10 at Texas Tech, beat Baker Mayfield during his big year, and upset a top 5 TCU. He beat Oklahoma again this year. He knows how to prepare his team for big games. His QB is performing well again and has one of the top rushers in the nation. Most people forget Iowa State has a football team. His body of work develop Toledo & Iowa is amazing. He's a former oline coach as well. He pretty much check all boxes. He's a motivating speaker and I believe players would love him. 

I know I'm the only one who believes we have a shot at Harbaugh if he doesn't win the big games this year. Most coaches don't play out the final year of their contracts and he's currently getting paid as a top 4 coach. That extension is very unlikely to come. He still brought Michigan back to life and  had a great run in San Fran. I remember original reports that JH wasn't interested in college and Michigan came in with their jet/big pitch to get him to change his mind. I think he's a much better fit for the NFL and believe he can transform our team faster than the other coaches. It won't be easy, he's still my #1 guy. I think hiring him will bring a spark to fans & organization. If JD is building Ravens 2.0 (Rushing & physical 3-4 defense), JH's work in san Fran shows he can make it happen. Harbaugh wasn't let go for losing, he bumped heads with a GM who eventually broke that team down and got fired 2 years later. He's still my #1 right now. 

Lots of good points here. Good post.

• Like 1

We really need to make a push for Campbell.  He's the guy.  Great program builder, leader, and innovative coach.

Gets the most out of his players and relates to today's players being we will be a very young team.

If we are going to lure him we have to go with the 6-7 year deal and give him control of his staff.  I think him and JD can work well together if ownership can step back and just let them work together.  

Both JD and Campbell are OL guys and would make an ideal pairing.  I would feel really good about the future of this team with JD, Campbell, and Lawrence moving forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheChad said:

Lots of good points here. Good post.

Thanks. I've been trying to narrow down my favorites but I can't. Those guys have a shot of not only being good NFL coaches, but also fit to what JD is trying to build. I wouldn't be mad with any of these guys. Out of the coordinators, Roman is probably the one who checks all the boxes for me. I have to see how his leadership skills are. 

42 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Thanks. I've been trying to narrow down my favorites but I can't. Those guys have a shot of not only being good NFL coaches, but also fit to what JD is trying to build. I wouldn't be mad with any of these guys. Out of the coordinators, Roman is probably the one who checks all the boxes for me. I have to see how his leadership skills are. 

Also we need someone with delegation skill.   Bowles and Gase coaching staffs came up empty.  Upgrade this..

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

We really need to make a push for Campbell.  He's the guy.  Great program builder, leader, and innovative coach.

Gets the most out of his players and relates to today's players being we will be a very young team.

If we are going to lure him we have to go with the 6-7 year deal and give him control of his staff.  I think him and JD can work well together if ownership can step back and just let them work together.  

Both JD and Campbell are OL guys and would make an ideal pairing.  I would feel really good about the future of this team with JD, Campbell, and Lawrence moving forward.

I like Campbell as well

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

All HC should have control of his coaching staff, but there is one problem.  As we have seen with Bowles bringing in Kacy Rogers and gase bringing in Patton Oswalt, sometimes a HC will bring in an unqualified sycophant to fulfil a critical coordinator role.  That presents a problem.

• Like 2

I 100% agree with those that think we need an actual leader to come here. We’ve been through the offensive and defensive guru. That doesn’t work for us because a bad culture is so much a part of our problem.

So far,

- Bieniemy - He just seems like a natural leader. I like him a lot. I think this recent wave of guru this and that is part of the reason he hasn’t been hired. He seems more of a CEO leader type of coach to me. He’s be HR in my book.

- Roman - I think he will connect well with Douglas and looks to be ready to be a HC. I like that he changes his offense to his players. If he believes in the same philosophy on defense, this could be a HR hire. He’s from NJ. So you know he knows what he’s getting into.

There are a couple of coaches I like at the college level. Matt Campbell would be a HR hire and likely the guy I’ll be hoping for. But I suspect we may not trust a college guy giving how we treated Rhule. 

Edited by SDotNova