2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

JH works if JD is out.   Since JD will stick around for 2 more years JH and Matt Campbell may not fit there.  Lincoln Riley could be there if JD actually likes pass first offense but I think JD will rather a balanced offense.

Exactly.  JH and JD can't coexist I feel.

I think Campbell and JD can though.  Campbell won't garner full control like JH would want.  Both Campbell and JD are OL guys.  I think they are the perfect pairing actually.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's all about finding an HC that knows what he wants, how to prepare and motivate a team, and won't fold under pressure. Great coordinators don't last long, so our HC has to know the system he wants and recognize the type of DC's/OC's that can run it. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/offensive-player-rankings-week-9-what-s-behind-lamar-jackson-s-struggles

We hated Scotty because he could not improve Mark Sanchez into a better passer.

We have peed on Gase because he has done nothing to improve Darnold in passing department.

If LJ could not become a better passer this year, do we really want him for Jets?

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/offensive-player-rankings-week-9-what-s-behind-lamar-jackson-s-struggles

We have peed on Gase because he has done nothing to improve Darnold in passing department.

If LJ could not become a better passer this year, do we really want him for Jets?

Is this really on Greg Roman or is LJ not a good passer and may never be regardless of coaching?  I don't know but there is a reason he was not included in the Big 4 talks during that draft.  There is a reason he fell to the end of the first.  It could be that scouts evaluated LJ and determined he will never cut it as a passer in the NFL.  There is no doubting his running ability and the opportunities it opens up on offensive play calling, but LJ may not be a QB to build a passing type O around.  As the article states, I see a similar career arc as Kaep and Griffin.  Running QB's who aren't the best passers and had a short NFL life.

Unless Roman can show he can develop a QB to be a good passer with a prospect that has that ability, I would pass on him.  He is too much of an unknown.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Is this really on Greg Roman or is LJ not a good passer and may never be regardless of coaching?  I don't know but there is a reason he was not included in the Big 4 talks during that draft.  There is a reason he fell to the end of the first.  It could be that scouts evaluated LJ and determined he will never cut it as a passer in the NFL.  There is no doubting his running ability and the opportunities it opens up on offensive play calling, but LJ may not be a QB to build a passing type O around.  As the article states, I see a similar career arc as Kaep and Griffin.  Running QB's who aren't the best passers and had a short NFL life.

Unless Roman can show he can develop a QB to be a good passer with a prospect that has that ability, I would pass on him.  He is too much of an unknown.

Lamar Jackson is a fraud. I saw this coming a mile away. You have to be able to pass the ball with accuracy. He has never done that over a long period of time. His years in college he could never fit it in a tight window. The next fraud is Josh Allen. His accuracy is pretty poor and that will catch up to him. These guys are just a flash in a pan. You need a good pure passer before anything and that will NEVER change in the NFL. Murray is next because is accuracy is not there either. This is why Brees, Brady, Stafford, Rivers ( before he got old) Wilson are around for so log with the same team. They can throw a very accurate ball in tight windows. All the other stuff is secondary like running the ball, quick release, decision making, seeing the field and others. 

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

Lamar Jackson is a fraud. I saw this coming a mile away. You have to be able to pass the ball with accuracy. He has never done that over a long period of time. His years in college he could never fit it in a tight window. The next fraud is Josh Allen. His accuracy is pretty poor and that will catch up to him. These guys are just a flash in a pan. You need a good pure passer before anything and that will NEVER change in the NFL. Murray is next because is accuracy is not there either. This is why Brees, Brady, Stafford, Rivers ( before he got old) Wilson are around for so log with the same team. They can throw a very accurate ball in tight windows. All the other stuff is secondary like running the ball, quick release, decision making, seeing the field and others. 

I agree with all but I do think pre-snap reads and decision making are what elevate a QB's accuracy. 

Here is an interesting question, Brees (Purdue), Brady (Mich), Stafford (GA), Rivers (NC State), Wilson (Wisc.), Big Ben (Miami, OH), Luck (Stanford) have all come from schools with a pro style offense and programs that are not considered top tier (maybe Mich/Stanford is).  Could it be that it is easier to evaluate a QB that is an offense that requires him to go through progressions, utilize the whole field (not just half), and can decide who to throw to rather than having it dictated from the sideline is what makes a good passer in the NFL? I don't know but it has been a question an my mind for a while.  Not sure about Peyton's O in Tenn at the time.

44 minutes ago, xrade said:

We have been screaming for WR helps, OL helps, rollout plays, etc to help qb out. 

We have been eying at T Law as a rare breed qb that doesn't need babysitting stuff but yet we don't believe in him as an alpha qb.  Fields needs weapons for his success.

No matter what kind of qb we have as long as we need qb and oc that actually develop qb into a leader of the offense.   We haven't seen it in Roman.  If we think so with either T Law or Fields then Gase is no different.  That brings to a question.  Are we sure that Roman can run offense better with a natural passer without solid evidence backing up to that theory?

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

LJ was never a good passer.

52 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I want nothing to do with Roman as a HC that would be an atrocious move.

I agree 100%. I never had him on my list.

My top 5 right now in no order

Eric Bieniemy 

Brian Dabol

Joe Brady (He is only 30 years old crazy)

Matt Campbell

Dabo Swinny / Lincoln Riley  (If one leaves)

This is my top 5. 

A surprise that might happen is Doug Peterson getting fired. If this happens he would be number 1 on my list. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree 100%. I never had him on my list.

My top 5 right now in no order

Eric Bieniemy 

Brian Dabol

Joe Brady (He is only 30 years old crazy)

Matt Campbell

Dabo Swinny / Lincoln Riley  (If one leaves)

This is my top 5. 

A surprise that might happen is Doug Peterson getting fired. If this happens he would be number 1 on my list. 

My list as well.