Jump to content

2021's Head Coaching Candidates


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Harbaugh had a great defense with Fangio and made his run similar to Rex in NY.  He was able to get enough out of Smith/Keep to get the team to the Superbowl.  In 4 seasons he was in a power struggle with the GM.  If he comes in you don't think he's going to want control?

Are we giving it to him making JD obsolete?

The guy can coach we get that.  How great he really is is debatable though.  Everything else that comes with him though is a possible issue.  Especially given our FO structure.

Adding that massive personality is a huge risk even if it could have huge reward.

It is significantly less of a risk bringing him in here than first time HC with zero experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I believe he has had a big say so in players. Bell maybe. But we know Woody has in the past. And it looks like he's coming back.

CJ has never made a personnel decision, Woody did want Tebow, Revis but that’s all I recall. 

They’re not exactly Jerry Jones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

CJ has never made a personnel decision, Woody did want Tebow, Revis but that’s all I recall. 

They’re not exactly Jerry Jones. 

Never said they were. But they're also not just guys who stay quiet and let the GM and HC do their job either. Hence why Gase and JD report to CJ. That's not how it should be. It should go Owner, GM, HC, Staff. Not everyone reporting to the owner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really about finding that perfect match for the team JD is trying to build. It should be a partnership between those two. So I'm hoping CJ learned his lesson & WJ wouldn't try to jump to demanding after being gone so long. Of course, there is a slim chance for that. 

 

As I mentioned before, I'd love to go all in for Harbaugh. He checks all the boxes for me. On top of that, we know his name would bring life back into the organization and pull interests from other players. With that being said, I'm still open minded to a lot of the candidates. It's all about that JD/HC connection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Never said they were. But they're also not just guys who stay quiet and let the GM and HC do their job either. Hence why Gase and JD report to CJ. That's not how it should be. It should go Owner, GM, HC, Staff. Not everyone reporting to the owner.

Why should it go that way? The CFO doesn’t report to the COO, they have different responsibilities. The reporting structure isn’t the issue. Douglas should have more say over the Head Coach. You can’t say let the GM and HC do their job and then set the HC up for failure by having him report to his equal. Rex reported to Idzik and look what happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Why should it go that way? The CFO doesn’t report to the COO, they have different responsibilities. The reporting structure isn’t the issue. Douglas should have more say over the Head Coach. You can’t say let the GM and HC do their job and then set the HC up for failure by having him report to his equal. Rex reported to Idzik and look what happened. 

It should be everyone on the same page. It shouldn't be people wanting to do different things. And when you have people who have the same say so and same job (player personnel let's say) then it rarely goes good. 

 

My point is that Harbaugh the HC I'd welcome. I just see no way he goes back to the NFL without having more power than that. And I believe that the Johnsons should own the team. JD should control personel and the HC coaches. These lines dont need to cross.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That’s because he reported to Baalke in SF, he won’t report to Douglas afaik in New York which helps. 

There isn’t a team right now outside of Atlanta where he might get full control of the organization. 

So if he comes back to the pros, we have to get him. Douglas has the personality that he should mesh will with, he doesn’t step on toes and force his coach into things. He’s going to let Harbaugh handle that aspect while he manages the roster. 

My question is though how long until Harbaugh wants to control the roster?  If he doesn't get his way there could be issues.  I can easily see him going behind JDs back to ownership.

It's time we smarten up and have a real power structure where the coach knows the GM gets final say on the roster and reports to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

My question is though how long until Harbaugh wants to control the roster?  If he doesn't get his way there could be issues.  I can easily see him going behind JDs back to ownership.

It's time we smarten up and have a real power structure where the coach knows the GM gets final say on the roster and reports to him.

Agreed. Otherwise we should have never hired JD. Don’t hire JD and go after a GM/HC

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

My question is though how long until Harbaugh wants to control the roster?  If he doesn't get his way there could be issues.  I can easily see him going behind JDs back to ownership.

It's time we smarten up and have a real power structure where the coach knows the GM gets final say on the roster and reports to him.

Again how is it smart to have the Coach report to the GM? There’s literally zero data that says it’s a winning recipe.

Get the best guy in here. Douglas hasn’t shown any signs of being like Balke in San Francisco, he’s inclusive, he comes from the right background in that he understands how the entirety of the building is vital. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It should be everyone on the same page. It shouldn't be people wanting to do different things. And when you have people who have the same say so and same job (player personnel let's say) then it rarely goes good. 

 

My point is that Harbaugh the HC I'd welcome. I just see no way he goes back to the NFL without having more power than that. And I believe that the Johnsons should own the team. JD should control personel and the HC coaches. These lines dont need to cross.

It doesn’t 

Johnson’s are the chairmen

Harbaugh would be the CEO, Douglas the CFO

Control typically comes down the final say and I know you’re not saying you want a yes man as head coach but it’s like unless the coach agrees with Douglas on everything you see potential disaster. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It doesn’t 

Johnson’s are the chairmen

Harbaugh would be the CEO, Douglas the CFO

Control typically comes down the final say and I know you’re not saying you want a yes man as head coach but it’s like unless the coach agrees with Douglas on everything you see potential disaster. 

 

I think a HC should have an opinion on personal. But not a day so. It’s the GMs job to do personnel. Now should everyone try and be in the same page to make it work? Of course. If the HC is saying he really needs 2 new WRs and the GM can see that. Then they try and make that happen. But by no means should the HC be able to pick a player Bc it’s his guy. Rex who wasn’t a GM at all got to have a say so on a couple draft picks if I remember. And they weren’t good. Just let the GM do their job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Again how is it smart to have the Coach report to the GM? There’s literally zero data that says it’s a winning recipe.

Get the best guy in here. Douglas hasn’t shown any signs of being like Balke in San Francisco, he’s inclusive, he comes from the right background in that he understands how the entirety of the building is vital. 

Except literally every successful franchise does it.  We are one of the few with this terrible FO structure.  Countless ex players in the media now rip the Jets for this structure.

Obviously your HC and GM need to work as a team but there also needs to be one final voice and Harbaugh is not one to concede it.  Why risk that type of power struggle when there are plenty of other good candidates.  It has a high reward but also comes with a high risk.

Edited by Rockice_8
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the qualities in the coach we hire, will depend how we do in the draft. I hope Gase ,in gone as soon as the season ends, how long the Jets will wait to hire a new coach is the big question mark. We really don't need a coach for the draft so we should wait as long as possible before we hire one. For once lets get the right coach this time. I like a guy like Rex Ryan BUT must be offensive minded, you can say what you wanted about Rex but his heart and soul was in the Jets.l

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...