2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Obviously your HC and GM need to work as a team but there also needs to be one final voice and Harbaugh is not one to concede it

And this is why the GM should pick the HC and the HC should pick his coaching staff.  Any other reporting structure leaves the door open for contention.

I’m for Harbaugh, philosophically he aligns we’ll with Joe and he has obvious experience, I believe Balke was the problem in SF and not him. Martindale is the interesting one I think if you pair him with the right offensive mind we could be great.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I’m for Harbaugh, philosophically he aligns we’ll with Joe and he has obvious experience, I believe Balke was the problem in SF and not him. Martindale is the interesting one I think if you pair him with the right offensive mind we could be great.

If he leaves Michigan now with his tail between his legs, he will go down as one Michigan worst coaches. We have had enough losers we don't need any more/

Here is an article on Harbaugh that is worth a read.  For the record, I am not a Harbaugh fan.  It is not because he is a bad coach, it is because there would still be a great deal of dysfunction with this team.  We need organizational stability as much as we need a great X's and O's coach.  One can argue dysfunction goes away with winning but that is an illusion.  Yes, the press may calm down as would the fans, but the dysfunction is still there and will rear it ugly head.

https://thejetpress.com/2020/11/05/ny-jets-avoid-temptation-jim-harbaugh/

I understand everyone's concern about Harbaugh because his Mich struggles, so I won't argue against it but people never bring up the issues with Trent Baalke. There is a reason why he didn't last long after JH left. I don't think he's going to be as demanding as people are assuming. If JD is hiring the coach as he should be, I trust him to pick someone that wouldn't cause trouble in the office. 

The type of team Harbaugh won with in San Fran used the same formula every winning Ravens team has used. So they could see eye-to-eye on the type of players needed for the same scheme. I can't pretend like he's perfect, but I never felt like he was meant for college ball. Even at Stanford. He coached a great team before leaving but he got his 12 win season because our conference wasn't good that year and his pro style built team was something we weren't ready for. So everyone looked at him as this great college fit, but he's better for the NFL. That's why Michigan had to recruit him so hard, he wasn't really interested in having to recruiting to rebuild the same positions every 2 years and worry about kid's academics. Most NFL styled coaches don't do well in college. That's why almost all the top college coaches now don't have heavy NFL backgrounds. 

Why do I think he would be a great fit here? because the roster can still be molded to him & JD's style. They're not converting a whole roster with bigger contracts. On top of that, he will have a chance to get Fields or Lawrence. Franchise LT is set and the defense already runs a 3-4. Then it becomes using the $90m cap space & picks for the next 2 offseasons to build this team. Plus, the bar is set so low that if he wins 4 games and talks to the players during the games, we're going to gain hope for the future. His time in the NFL proves that winning big games wasn't a challenge for him. If him & JD can work well together, I see this as a perfect fit. 

Compared to the other options, both the Falcons & Texans are overdrafted cap wise. So it's going to be harder for them to build the roster that fits his style because they'll have to dump contracts. So they'll likely get worse talent wise. The Texans don't have any picks in the top 2 rounds. We're going to have a chance at all the top options, but JH is still my guy. 

• Like 1

If JD has the authority to hire the HC and he chose Harbaugh I would be cool with that. It would tell me JD is comfortable working with him and JH is comfortable being JD’s subordinate.

The problem is one of the Johnsons will make the choice and have JH report to them.  In essence, JH and JD will have equal say and if JH has an issue with JD it will be a distraction. 

If Matt Campbell or Jim Harbaugh had no problem with only coaching team like Adam Gase did then Jets should go for it.  However, Jets pay JD top dollar despite him being first time GM due to his larger role in Philly. It would be gravely a mistake to hire HC that seeks beyond just coaching because it would fray 3 way relationship.

According to SNY, the Johnsons wanted a flashy coach for HC but JD wanted nothing fancy from coach.  If true, that shows the Johnsons continue being clueless about football foundation.   The problem is Gase is still our HC so none in media offers legitimate ****. 

18 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If Matt Campbell or Jim Harbaugh had no problem with only coaching team like Adam Gase did then Jets should go for it.  However, Jets pay JD top dollar despite him being first time GM due to his larger role in Philly. It would be gravely a mistake to hire HC that seeks beyond just coaching because it would fray 3 way relationship.

According to SNY, the Johnsons wanted a flashy coach for HC but JD wanted nothing fancy from coach.  If true, that shows the Johnsons continue being clueless about football foundation.   The problem is Gase is still our HC so none in media offers legitimate ****. 

JD was here after the Johnson's hired Gase so how did the Johnson's want a flashy head coach but JD didn't?

1 minute ago, mattmanz91 said:

JD was here after the Johnson's hired Gase so how did the Johnson's want a flashy head coach but JD didn't?

Gase was the last option for Jets.  Thinking Johnsons' wanting flashy HC is based on their firing attempts prior to Bowles and Gase's acceptation.  JD was happy to accept GM job knowing Gase had no say in team structure.  JD with most control in team structure is likely to go with unknown coach that only coaches team.  Look at his behavior during FA, we should expect the same thing for HC. Nothing fancy. 

That is what it looks like but in real life, I have no idea because moronic moves do happen everywhere.

I was worried about the Johnsons getting in the way, but I don't think we would have been able to hire someone like Douglas if we didn't guarantee him an opportunity to hire his own coach. Especially for the type of deal he signed. I bet the only hold was that he had to give Gase at least this season. We'll see though. CJ now see how wrong he was to try to force Rhule's staff, so I'm hoping he falls back this time. 

10 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I was worried about the Johnsons getting in the way, but I don't think we would have been able to hire someone like Douglas if we didn't guarantee him an opportunity to hire his own coach. Especially for the type of deal he signed. I bet the only hold was that he had to give Gase at least this season. We'll see though. CJ now see how wrong he was to try to force Rhule's staff, so I'm hoping he falls back this time. 

I wonder about Woody. Will he step in quick or sit back and sip some Americanized tea?