2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

12 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I was worried about the Johnsons getting in the way, but I don't think we would have been able to hire someone like Douglas if we didn't guarantee him an opportunity to hire his own coach. Especially for the type of deal he signed. I bet the only hold was that he had to give Gase at least this season. We'll see though. CJ now see how wrong he was to try to force Rhule's staff, so I'm hoping he falls back this time. 

Until the Johnsons actually allow JD to pick the coach and have the coach report to him, I will not believe it. It was Woody who started this crap when he bought the team. 

On 11/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, Rockice_8 said:

Except literally every successful franchise does it.  We are one of the few with this terrible FO structure.  Countless ex players in the media now rip the Jets for this structure.

Obviously your HC and GM need to work as a team but there also needs to be one final voice and Harbaugh is not one to concede it.  Why risk that type of power struggle when there are plenty of other good candidates.  It has a high reward but also comes with a high risk.

Patriots don’t do it, Seahawks don’t do it, Steelers don’t do it. 

I don’t care about how the media feels they’ll crap on the team no matter what, the reporting structure isn’t why this team is bad. A GM should never have say over how a coach coaches his team, period. Like I said Idzik sabotaged Rex and that’s why the structure changed. 

Gase reporting to Douglas won’t make Darnold a better Quarterback. Y’all find issues in the wrong things as usual. 

50 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Patriots don’t do it, Seahawks don’t do it, Steelers don’t do it. 

I don’t care about how the media feels they’ll crap on the team no matter what, the reporting structure isn’t why this team is bad. A GM should never have say over how a coach coaches his team, period. Like I said Idzik sabotaged Rex and that’s why the structure changed. 

Gase reporting to Douglas won’t make Darnold a better Quarterback. Y’all find issues in the wrong things as usual. 

I don't follow this conversation but whoever has idea that GM has ability to tell HC what to coach a team?    

7 hours ago, xrade said:

Until the Johnsons actually allow JD to pick the coach and have the coach report to him, I will not believe it. It was Woody who started this crap when he bought the team. 

Yeah, I'm hoping the recent failures make them realize how stupid that is. I just doubt someone with Joe Douglas' resume would agree to a team that hired a coach no one wanted would agree to not being able to hire his own coach. If it doesn't change, I might as well officially become a fan of another team because we're never going to make it with owners who think they can go as far as picking coaches coordinators and not feel stupid after picking Gase over Rhule. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Let the gase watch begin. I was a little disappointed he had a post game recap with the media. I was hoping he would have been fired. 

Hes doing some next level tanking genius. You keep him here until the job is done. This was impressive stuff. Gase is the right man for the job. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Hes doing some next level tanking genius. You keep him here until the job is done. This was impressive stuff. Gase is the right man for the job. 

It is even more impressive because he does it without trying. That is talent. 

• Like 1

The AFC for the next decade will be the toughest. Burrow, Mahomes, Jackson, Herbert, Watson, Allen, and Tua are going to be pretty tough. Then we'll have some of the rookie QBs coming out of next class joining the AFC as well. I know we're going to put a lot of focus on offense as he should, but I hope we don't hire a HC that doesn't put enough attention on the defensive side. That can really screw us long term. 

The best recipe is the physical defense/run game and it can separate us from the other teams. Seahawks (Legion of Boom), Jets (winning Rex), 49ers (Harbaugh Era), and the Ravens style teams work. The same style that got us far under Rex although Sanchez was struggling. This time with a coach that can find the right OC & with Fields/Lawrence. I've shifted my focus on the type of coaches I feel like that could lead a team like those. 

I am not concerned about whether Gase is still here now or not. Clearly, he is doing a fantastic job of spiralling the team into the abyss, which at this point is all that we can ask of him.

What I am concerned about, however, is that our wonderful owners might decide to reward the head coach for a job well done with an extension, or even a grace period. I mean, they are not above doing the absolutely wrong thing here. So obviously, it would make me feel a little bit better if we had already canned him. However, canning him might give the players new life, which is what we do not want at this time. 

Yet another Catch-22 for my psychosis as a Jets fan.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, xrade said:

Mangini and Rex reported to Tannenbaum

Rex reported to Idzik. 

Idzik sabotaged Rex and then that’s when Woody went away from the coach reporting to the GM. 

The dynamic gives coaches some assurances they otherwise wouldn’t have, GMs can’t meddle in their plans, etc...

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A lot of this fan base wants Greg Roman. 

That's why I'm bringing this up just incase this a red flag. Fans were calling this out for weeks and now the QB is saying it. Although I don't care if our new HC is a play caller, but I'm concerned about the lack of creativity.  

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That's why I'm bringing this up just incase this a red flag. Fans were calling this out for weeks and now the QB is saying it. Although I don't care if our new HC is a play caller, but I'm concerned about the lack of creativity.  

Creativity is a word I'm always skeptical about because some fans see creativity as gadget or trick plays, others see it as unorthodox formations or personnel

Like for me creativity is a TE screen, putting a guy like Tyreek Hill in the backfield to isolate him on a Linebacker, fake Jet sweep counter runs, etc...