Jump to content

2021's Head Coaching Candidates


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

with you 100% on this with both comments.

1- People dont even know for sure what Bieniemy does. He was interviewed dozens of times and was passed up. Maybe because hes just not qualified? Extremely overrated candidate in my honest opinion. However if hes considered a terrific leader, I'll take it over the responsibilities he has or doesnt have in Reids offense

2- Brady is an up and comer. Hes got a terrific design, however he was a passing game coordinator for a single year at LSU and this is his first year as an OC in the NFL. Its impressive but hes very green still and the ability to be a big time leader here trumps anything someone does schematically. Fans have this mindset that we need the guy with the best system and its so far from the truth. Im not the biggest fan of Gases offense but Gase absolutely knows how to design plays but might be the worst leader we've ever had here. The Jets need a general as a HC whom the players are going to respect right away. Brady might be that one day along with everything else he does well, we are no position to take that gamble starting from scratch.

You think Gase has good play design?  Seriously?

Some of his stuff is pop warner honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Idk man, I just dont see anything tangible that jumps out other than that he's the coordinator of an explosive offense that's led by the most gifted Quarterback ever. Gase coordinated 2 great, 1 record breaking, offenses with Manning but it hasn't translated to his head coaching career. If you remember, not sure if you do, but his name was thrown around this fan base when Denver was doing what KC is doing and Gase at least called the offense. 

I think Bieniemy is more "leader" than "creator", I think he's going to pair himself with good coordinators and because he's never called plays he wont need to. 

So for me that's what I'm expecting but I think a lot of fans, and ones I've spoken to have said this, expect him to bring Kansas City wherever he goes.

Gase got Peyton Manning when he was already established. He didn't have to develop or teach him anything.  EB got Mahomes when everyone called him raw and didn't know how to read defenses. It's really not the same. People barely thought he would be a starter in year #2. So I'm giving EB credit on the development side. 

 

As I mentioned, his is based on interviews. He's been in the league for years and developed players over time. He says all the right things. I'm definitely interested in him. I wouldn't expect him to recreate Mahomes here with any prospects, but he may know what's needed for the QB to develop and the surrounding

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When Manning was with Bronocs, his arm was dying.  Good thing for Manning is he could get rid of football quick which suited Gase's offense nicely.

 

Anyway, Eric Bieniemy seemingly got passed over for two reasons.   Stuck with RB philosophy and character.   All of his bad incidents occurred when he was with Colorado Buffaloes  as both a player and a coach. However, outside of this site, I have not found any bad rapport on him.  That could explain why he rejected the HC opportunity for his alma mater. umm. As of today, NFL teams should know by now that EB doesn't stuck with RB philosophy and has CEO tools to be HC somewhere.   It would be a mistake to think lowly of him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bieniemy would definitely be on my short list, along with Robert Salah and maybe some former head coaches , big name guys. 

One of the biggest problems I had with the Gase hiring was that he was coming from a mediocre team. If we are going for a coordinator, I think we could so worse than to go with the OC of the best offensive team or the DC of the best defensive team. I think that is how you do things.

We don't need to go outside the box. Let's stay well within the box this time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Gase got Peyton Manning when he was already established. He didn't have to develop or teach him anything.  EB got Mahomes when everyone called him raw and didn't know how to read defenses. It's really not the same. People barely thought he would be a starter in year #2. So I'm giving EB credit on the development side. 

 

As I mentioned, his is based on interviews. He's been in the league for years and developed players over time. He says all the right things. I'm definitely interested in him. I wouldn't expect him to recreate Mahomes here with any prospects, but he may know what's needed for the QB to develop and the surrounding

 

I just cant give him credit for Mahomes development especially Reid being there and seeing what Reid has consistently done with Quarterbacks. Bieniemy doesn't even have a QB background, which is one of the things I think is being held against him since a lot of teams seem to be trending towards QB background coaches. 

If we hired Bieniemy I'd be happy with it, I think he'd bring good leadership, gameplanning and overall he'd be a great all around coach. I just wonder who he's going to bring in as his OC/DC.

I think Bieniemy is going to be more of a CEO style coach, which is what I prefer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You think Gase has good play design?  Seriously?

Some of his stuff is pop warner honestly.

At times. There have been multiple times that the design is there and Sam could find an open receiver if they were smacking him in the face. More so trying to emphasize the fact Gase is just the worst leader in football history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I just cant give him credit for Mahomes development especially Reid being there and seeing what Reid has consistently done with Quarterbacks. Bieniemy doesn't even have a QB background, which is one of the things I think is being held against him since a lot of teams seem to be trending towards QB background coaches. 

If we hired Bieniemy I'd be happy with it, I think he'd bring good leadership, gameplanning and overall he'd be a great all around coach. I just wonder who he's going to bring in as his OC/DC.

I think Bieniemy is going to be more of a CEO style coach, which is what I prefer. 

As long as he can lead, develop, and knows how to identify coordinators,  I would be happy.  

I'm giving credit to EB for just the mental side. Ried's scheme takes advantage of his skill set and etc, but EB had to spend that extra time teaching him how to read defenses and approach the game. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, rickyt31 said:

Harbaugh, A.Smith, E.Bieniemy, D.Martindale, and just added Raheem Morris for me. 

Brady & Roman are on the bubble right now. Brady is a great play caller, but as some of you mentioned before, it may take some time before he's ready to become a HC. I have to look deeper into Roman's ability to lead & his creativity in terms of how he prepares his team for big match ups. If he's as predictable as the fans and LJ has mentioned, that's a pretty big red flag. At the same time, they have one of the top scoring offenses, but it's hard to tell if it's only because of LJ's skills and how defenses are playing them. 

Raheem is killing it right now in Atlanta. Would be 4-0 if Todd didn't score when he was supposed to kneel. He has the team motivated and adapted the play calling to the player's skills. He's at least worth an interview if Atlanta goes with someone else for some reason. 

I love Matt Campbell, but he does seem committed to college football. His contract doesn't end until 2025. So I'm not going to get my hopes up. 

 

 

Checking out some more college coaches like Kevin Sumlin today. He's very interesting because he flipped Houston and then joined Texas A&M when they switched to the SEC. Although the team couldn't get over the hump, he had 6 straight years of 7+ wins. The only Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Georgia has done that in the SEC since 2010. Not a great start in Arizona, but we'll see if this is a turning point year for the program. 95-58 coaching record, 4-3 bowl record. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Checking out some more college coaches like Kevin Sumlin today. He's very interesting because he flipped Houston and then joined Texas A&M when they switched to the SEC. Although the team couldn't get over the hump, he had 6 straight years of 7+ wins. The only Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Georgia has done that in the SEC since 2010. Not a great start in Arizona, but we'll see if this is a turning point year for the program. 95-58 coaching record, 4-3 bowl record. 

 

Not a fan of Sumlin. He was blessed with a lot of talent. A&M will always be decent bc of recruits in Texas. So to have winning seasons isn’t anything great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a fan of Sumlin. He was blessed with a lot of talent. A&M will always be decent bc of recruits in Texas. So to have winning seasons isn’t anything great. 

In the SEC it is.  You're not winning 6 years straight with just talent. Even right now, they're ranked 6th in their conference in recruiting because all the teams get talent. During his time there, he probably only entered the top 5 in the conference twice in recruiting. So I think he did a solid job there. The only teams that can say they did better in the conference have been national championship contenders during that time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

In the SEC it is.  You're not winning 6 years straight with just talent. Even right now, they're ranked 6th in their conference in recruiting because all the teams get talent. During his time there, he probably only entered the top 5 in the conference twice in recruiting. So I think he did a solid job there. The only teams that can say they did better in the conference have been national championship contenders during that time. 

6 in the conference but what have they ranked in the nation in his time there as overall recruitment. Trust me I live in Texas. There’s talent everywhere. A&M and UT will never not get great recruits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

6 in the conference but what have they ranked in the nation in his time there as overall recruitment. Trust me I live in Texas. There’s talent everywhere. A&M and UT will never not get great recruits. 

I didn't say they don't get great recruits. I'm proving that even with their great recruiting, they've been ranked around 6th for years because of how good the other teams are at recruiting in the same conference. National ranks work well in the Pac, big 12, and other conferences.  I've lived in the south for almost 30 years, I know how recruiting works down here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I didn't say they don't get great recruits. I'm proving that even with their great recruiting, they've been ranked around 6th for years because of how good the other teams are at recruiting in the same conference. National ranks work well in the Pac, big 12, and other conferences.  I've lived in the south for almost 30 years, I know how recruiting works down here. 

My point is there’s a big difference between a guy like Campbell at Minnesota building up a program and making big strides with rather average recruits. Than that if a HC taking over a team that’s always gets great recruits and just keeping them relevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...