2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Roman works well with athletic running QB’s like Kap and Lamar.  It is fun for a year or two until NFL defenses learn to adjust. He has not really developed passers.

I am not the biggest fan of running QB’s. They tend to have a short shelf-life and, as stated, are too one dimensional. Give me a mobile pocket passer every time. I saw a stat during the Ravens game yesterday that the Ravens are 31st in passing yds per game. 

Roman liked Tyrod Taylor the most.

2 hours ago, biggreen715 said:

what are peoples thoughts on Doug Pederson? I'm luke warm on him. Obviously is a superbowl winning coach but what has he done after that?

I would take Doug Peterson over anyone right now. Carson Wentz is the problem not Peterson. My top 2 guys are 

Doug Peterson

Jim H. 

3 hours ago, biggreen715 said:

what are peoples thoughts on Doug Pederson? I'm luke warm on him. Obviously is a superbowl winning coach but what has he done after that?

👎

JD failed to collect talents that fit Pederson's philosophy in Philly. 3 drafts and 3 free agencies led to what we currently witness.  Huge Incompatible.

I continue to like E. Bieniemy an awful lot. Let's face it, we won't know whether a guy is NFL head coaching material until/unless they actually get a shot. Unless we recycle a former NFL head man, we are pretty much in the dark on any candidate. Even Harbaugh would be a massive unknown after so many years away from the NFL. 

I have to think we are going to hire an offensive coach with Lawrence in mind (assuming we continue to lose, which is not really a given anymore). However, if we were to go for a defensive head coach, I would love to hire Robert Salah. Obviously, we would have to find the right OC. And that is a big deal if we a) hire a defensive head coach and b) land Lawrence. 

That said, I love Salah's energy. I think that can be very contagious. It seems to work for Pete Carroll. But even more than that, just look at that 49ers defense. There is no quit in them whatsoever. They are missing 4 of their 5 best defenders and they just keep on performing. They are getting zero help from their offense (mostly because of injuries there as well), but their defense never quits. Yes, you need talent to have that great of a defense, but I think Salah is a big reason why they haven't gone completely off the rails this season. Even the New Orleans game, the defense held up. It helped that Brees was knocked out of the game but they did that. The defense. 

Whatever we end up doing, I want us to hire someone who will clearly implement our new identity and dominate on one side of the ball. Obviously, to win we will also need to hire an excellent DC (if we hire an offensive guy) or OC (if we hire a defensive guy), in order to gain the balance we need. But for me, it starts with a team identity. We had that with Parcells, and I am not sure we have had that ever since. 

To be honest, Harbaugh scares me. Pederson is intriguing, and Belichick well... :)  I mean, who would say no to that but yeah, that is not happening. Does Bill have enough cash to buy the team? Would be nice.

Seeing Nagy and Pederson's, two Reid disciples, teams struggling without quality Quarterback play is definitely worrisome. Bieniemy isn't them, his background is different but it is still something to consider.

I actually see Bieniemy going to Denver if they fire Fangio.

Harbaugh is THE guy IMO, he's a pro coach, has great coaching relationships, has won with different styles of play and coaches the entire team. Rex/Bowles were all Defense, Gase is all offense. The great you're going to get outweighs the rep of his falling out in San Francisco.

• Like 1

As someone with basically no knowledge of the situation, I'm inclined to think that the Eagles' SB season was more on Frank Reich (as well as the obvious Foles hot streak) than Pederson.

I'm still all about Harbaugh.

Most of the coordinators scare me just as such big unknowns. Roman doesn't do it for me and seems to have his niche as being able to design an offense for a running QB that will work for a couple of seasons. Daboll, if Josh Allen's development is largely on him, is definitely worth a look, if only so that we don't ruin our next QB. I like the Titans' offense but Arthur is an old man name (Arthur Smith, Titans' OC). Bieniemy is highly praised but you know, Gase was awesome with Peyton Manning. I feel like we could get absolutely anything there.

I want a "head coach" type, not just a coordinator who was good enough at that role to get promoted.

10 hours ago, TheChad said:

As someone with basically no knowledge of the situation, I'm inclined to think that the Eagles' SB season was more on Frank Reich (as well as the obvious Foles hot streak) than Pederson.

I'm still all about Harbaugh.

Most of the coordinators scare me just as such big unknowns. Roman doesn't do it for me and seems to have his niche as being able to design an offense for a running QB that will work for a couple of seasons. Daboll, if Josh Allen's development is largely on him, is definitely worth a look, if only so that we don't ruin our next QB. I like the Titans' offense but Arthur is an old man name (Arthur Smith, Titans' OC). Bieniemy is highly praised but you know, Gase was awesome with Peyton Manning. I feel like we could get absolutely anything there.

I want a "head coach" type, not just a coordinator who was good enough at that role to get promoted.

I hear what you are saying, but Gase actually failed as a head coach just before we hired him. It was not a blind faith decision. He was over his head in Miami and the most mediocre of head coaches, and yet we decided he was our guy. It was a brutal decision way back then, too. Not just revisionist history. 

Bieniemy is an unknown, but he is currently working with the best QB in football and under one of the best head coaches. That is what you want. Somebody is going to give him a HC shot, why not us? Was anybody else going to give Gase another quick HC opportunity after Miami? I doubt it. 

And if we are looking for a coordinator who is a "head coach type", I don't think there is a better candidate than Robert Salah. That 49ers defense is awesome, even without Pro Bowl talent this year. 

I am not against Harbaugh, but what is it about him that makes everybody here believe he is going to turn our fortunes around? Is there a connection between Harbaugh and the Jets? I mean, aside from Rich Eisen, of course. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I hear what you are saying, but Gase actually failed as a head coach just before we hired him. It was not a blind faith decision. He was over his head in Miami and the most mediocre of head coaches, and yet we decided he was our guy. It was a brutal decision way back then, too. Not just revisionist history. 

Bieniemy is an unknown, but he is currently working with the best QB in football and under one of the best head coaches. That is what you want. Somebody is going to give him a HC shot, why not us? Was anybody else going to give Gase another quick HC opportunity after Miami? I doubt it. 

And if we are looking for a coordinator who is a "head coach type", I don't think there is a better candidate than Robert Salah. That 49ers defense is awesome, even without Pro Bowl talent this year. 

I am not against Harbaugh, but what is it about him that makes everybody here believe he is going to turn our fortunes around? Is there a connection between Harbaugh and the Jets? I mean, aside from Rich Eisen, of course. :)

I think it’s just that we all think Gase will be gone. And we might be the shiniest of destinations if we have the 1st pick. 

• Like 1

I think the most likely candidates are going to be Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh, which I find funny cause Roman was recruited by Jim to Stanford and then followed him to the 49ers. Roman is a NJ guy growing up in Atlantic City not to mention he was the OL coach when Joe Douglas was a scout in Baltimore. Harbaugh is the HC that I could see the Johnson's wanting, honestly would not shock me to see Harbaugh as HC and Roman as the OC, if the Ravens move on from him.

The guy I want is Joe Brady, he's young and it is definitely a gamble but the guy just understands offense. He learned under Sean Payton in NO for 2 years before going to LSU.

HC - Joe Brady - Carolina OC

OC - Mike Kafka - Chiefs QB Coach

DC - Aaron Glenn - Saints DB Coach

Edited by rdelaney89
spelling

34 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think the most likely candidates are going to be Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh, which I find funny cause Roman was recruited by Jim to Stanford and then followed him to the 49ers. Roman is a NJ guy growing up in Atlantic City not to mention he was the OL coach when Joe Douglas was a scout in Baltimore. Harbaugh is the HC that I could see the Johnson's wanting, honestly would not shock me to see Harbaugh as HC and Roman as the OC, if the Ravens move on from him.

The guy I want is Joe Brady, he's young and it is definitely a gamble but the guy just understands offense. He learned under Sean Payton in NO for 2 years before going to LSU.

HC - Joe Brady - Carolina OC

OC - Mike Kafka - Chiefs QB Coach

DC - Aaron Glenn - Saints DB Coach

I’d be ok with that. It would be nice to have a young staff like that. But there’s obvious risks that come with that. Being none of them have ever been a HC and even Brady has only called plays for 1 year now.

• Like 1