2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

I'm interested in Arthur Smith because the way he use his weapons, not just because of the production. Everyone in the country know Henry is getting the ball, but Smith's timing and plays set up Henry to get production no matter what defense they're playing against. On top of that, his leading WR is someone people were giving up on after last season. Watching his play calling feels like he tries to bait the defenses to one direction to over plan for one thing, then attacks with another during the game. Out of the coordinators, he's probably the one that plays chess the best with defenses. 

Joe Brady is probably the best play caller who can adapt to the talent he has. 

Matt Campbell is a clear #1, but I don't see him coming to us or the NFL at all. 

I'm still a Harbaugh fan and think he's the best fit in terms of connecting to JD, motivator, CEO type of coach, and success with the type of team(49ers) I think we'll need to eventually win the AFC. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pass over him because he's having his first losing season since 12 years ago and that was happening while transforming Stanford. Outside of his first two seasons at Stanford, he NEVER had a losing season as a HC until now. He's going to improve this franchise the same way he did all the other teams he coached. This feels like the perfect time to strike. 

Edited by rickyt31

I do not like Harbaugh for the simple fact he seems to be difficult to get along with. That creates front office problems which filter down to the team. Imagine managing a guy who will argue, contradict, and be a general pain in the ***. They may be technically good but are just tough to work with. I’ve been there. It sucks. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I do not like Harbaugh for the simple fact he seems to be difficult to get along with. That creates front office problems which filter down to the team. Imagine managing a guy who will argue, contradict, and be a general pain in the ***. They may be technically good but are just tough to work with. I’ve been there. It sucks. 

Harbauagh definitely not for you since you side with JD.    JD has full control of roster and there is no way for JH to accept that. Simple.

19 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Harbauagh definitely not for you since you side with JD.    JD has full control of roster and there is no way for JH to accept that. Simple.

Ya I don’t think we bring in a guy that wants roster control after we hired JD. That’s not saying it can’t be a well rounded HC that’s maybe already established. It just means we won’t hire a guy IMO that wants to pick his players. That’s JDs job.

Who we can get relies so much on us getting the 1st pick. So its very hard to say at this stage. We get that 1st pick and we are instantly the best landing spot for any HC. And they know they'll have a rookie incredible QB they're tied to that will guide their career for as long as they want. We don't get that 1st pick and I don't think as many coaches are sold on Fields being close to that (I do still rate Fields very high and would be happy with him FYI)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Who we can get relies so much on us getting the 1st pick. So its very hard to say at this stage. We get that 1st pick and we are instantly the best landing spot for any HC. And they know they'll have a rookie incredible QB they're tied to that will guide their career for as long as they want. We don't get that 1st pick and I don't think as many coaches are sold on Fields being close to that (I do still rate Fields very high and would be happy with him FYI)

I don't rate Fields that high. I think he is very good but he falls in with the Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold type guys that are a 50/50 chance to be a franchise QB. If we don't get the first pick it will be a MASSIVE hit to this franchise. I still think the Jets lose out no problem. 

19 hours ago, xrade said:

People said the same things about Kyle Shanahan in terms of getting along with people. Harbaugh has the longest track record of success of any potential candidate. Sure he’s a psychopath, allegedly, but one thing about Harbaugh is he wins in all 3 phases. We need a guy like him even ifs not him. 

20 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm interested in Arthur Smith because the way he use his weapons, not just because of the production. Everyone in the country know Henry is getting the ball, but Smith's timing and plays set up Henry to get production no matter what defense they're playing against. On top of that, his leading WR is someone people were giving up on after last season. Watching his play calling feels like he tries to bait the defenses to one direction to over plan for one thing, then attacks with another during the game. Out of the coordinators, he's probably the one that plays chess the best with defenses. 

Joe Brady is probably the best play caller who can adapt to the talent he has. 

Matt Campbell is a clear #1, but I don't see him coming to us or the NFL at all. 

I'm still a Harbaugh fan and think he's the best fit in terms of connecting to JD, motivator, CEO type of coach, and success with the type of team(49ers) I think we'll need to eventually win the AFC. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pass over him because he's having his first losing season since 12 years ago and that was happening while transforming Stanford. Outside of his first two seasons at Stanford, he NEVER had a losing season as a HC until now. He's going to improve this franchise the same way he did all the other teams he coached. This feels like the perfect time to strike. 

If Harbaugh were doing what he is doing in the NFL, then you could make a much stronger argument. But he is in college, and suddenly he is no longer part of a winning program. A program that has every advantage at the college level.

To hire him right now kinda seems like white privilege to me. Why is he more deserving right this minute than the myriad of successful coaches all over the continent?

Eric Bieniemy and Robert Saleh are still tops on my wish list, but a case can be made for several others. 

When does Brandon Staley get some consideration? There are many others.

Out of his 13 years as a HC on both levels, this is the only losing season we can actually count against him. He had 2 more but they came while transforming Stanford. You're telling me you all don't want him because the assumption that he'll come in making unreasonable demands and starting fires because of a front office issue he had with one team? lol I can't go for that one. We're highlighting other coaches for doing the things Harbaugh accomplished already. Nice rushing attack like Arthur Smith? JH did it with Frank Gore. Get the best out of QB like Joe Brady? JH did it with Alex Smith & Kaepernick. Flipping college programs like Campbell? Did it with SDSU, Stanford, and made Michigan better overall. Aggressive style defense like Martindale? 49ers defense with Bowman & Willis. I like some of the other options, but this is the one who has the proven track record, has something to prove, and develops. We have a shot to connect a GM that can draft well with a coach that can win. I'm taking Harbaugh. If he's interested, my top 2 is Campbell & Harbaugh. 

4 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If Harbaugh were doing what he is doing in the NFL, then you could make a much stronger argument. But he is in college, and suddenly he is no longer part of a winning program. A program that has every advantage at the college level.

To hire him right now kinda seems like white privilege to me. Why is he more deserving right this minute than the myriad of successful coaches all over the continent?

Eric Bieniemy and Robert Saleh are still tops on my wish list, but a case can be made for several others. 

When does Brandon Staley get some consideration? There are many others.

I missed this comment while typing the other. 

This isn't like hiring Gase and we're giving him the benefit of doubt, we're hiring a coach who had one losing season we can count against him out of 13 years. Someone who made it clear that he wasn't interested in college but made it happen after the flight on the private jet/big pitch. People are looking at this season & one front office issue with the 49ers and assuming he's a bad fit. There aren't many others that have his track record. I like the other coaches but they haven't accomplished anything JH hasn't done before. That's why he's my #1

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Out of his 13 years as a HC on both levels, this is the only losing season we can actually count against him. He had 2 more but they came while transforming Stanford. You're telling me you all don't want him because the assumption that he'll come in making unreasonable demands and starting fires because of a front office issue he had with one team? lol I can't go for that one. We're highlighting other coaches for doing the things Harbaugh accomplished already. Nice rushing attack like Arthur Smith? JH did it with Frank Gore. Get the best out of QB like Joe Brady? JH did it with Alex Smith & Kaepernick. Flipping college programs like Campbell? Did it with SDSU, Stanford, and made Michigan better overall. Aggressive style defense like Martindale? 49ers defense with Bowman & Willis. I like some of the other options, but this is the one who has the proven track record, has something to prove, and develops. We have a shot to connect a GM that can draft well with a coach that can win. I'm taking Harbaugh. If he's interested, my top 2 is Campbell & Harbaugh. 

44 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

People said the same things about Kyle Shanahan in terms of getting along with people. Harbaugh has the longest track record of success of any potential candidate. Sure he’s a psychopath, allegedly, but one thing about Harbaugh is he wins in all 3 phases. We need a guy like him even ifs not him. 

Never heard that about Shanahan  so I will not argue that. If Harbaugh is so great, why is he not coaching in the NFL?  Why is he leaving Michigan and trying to get back to the NFL (if that is indeed true).

Winning in the NFL is more than just X’s and O’s. There has to be a total effort between players, coaches and FO. Harbaugh may be a good HC. He may be able to bring aboard and develop a coaching staff that may have some initial tangible results. But, it may not prove to be sustainable if he can’t get along with the FO.

Ask yourself why he lasted for 2 years in SD, 3 years in Stanford, 3 years in SF. Michigan has been his longest tenure so far. Sorry, I prefer a little more stability. Harbaugh ain’t it.

With Harbaugh you have to dig a little deeper than just look at the short term success of wins and losses. I want successful sustainability. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Never heard that about Shanahan  so I will not argue that. If Harbaugh is so great, why is he not coaching in the NFL?  Why is he leaving Michigan and trying to get back to the NFL (if that is indeed true).

Winning in the NFL is more than just X’s and O’s. There has to be a total effort between players, coaches and FO. Harbaugh may be a good HC. He may be able to bring aboard and develop a coaching staff that may have some initial tangible results. But, it may not prove to be sustainable if he can’t get along with the FO.

Ask yourself why he lasted for 2 years in SD, 3 years in Stanford, 3 years in SF. Michigan has been his longest tenure so far. Sorry, I prefer a little more stability. Harbaugh ain’t it.

With Harbaugh you have to dig a little deeper than just look at the short term success of wins and losses. I want successful sustainability. 

Kyle Shanahan is picky SOB.  There is a story about him quitting on Browns or one team because one coaching staff used mobile on the sideline.

Harbaugh's college stops were more of promotion or challenge-seeking not running away from something.   Not a good source as why Harbaugh doesn't fit with Jets.

Wow.... Jim Harbaugh and Tom Herman hit the wall terribly when high expecations weren't met.   

Matt Campbell said no to Texas. However, I won't jump to any conclusion because ISU isn't far from college playoff spots and Hermans isn't fired yet.  I still think Campbell won't seek for bigger limelight challenge, though.