2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

If Marvin Lewis ended up as Jet head coach then I would hope Lewis promotes Frank Pollack to OC rather than hires his pal Hue Jackson.

As for Jim Caldwell, I can see the repeat of Lions.   Jim Bob Cooter and Teryl Austin as coordinators.

For some reasons, I now prefer a brand new coaches for HC, OC and DC positions even though it is risky.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

If Marvin Lewis ended up as Jet head coach then I would hope Lewis promotes Frank Pollack to OC rather than hires his pal Hue Jackson.

As for Jim Caldwell, I can see the repeat of Lions.   Jim Bob Cooter and Teryl Austin as coordinators.

For some reasons, I now prefer a brand new coaches for HC, OC and DC positions even though it is risky.

I’m still not sure I’m fully onboard. Have to think about it some more. But I like what he did with Cincy. Often times we look for these guys who are in class A organizations and are used to working in a well structured environment. We’re not that and knowing what you’re working in is important.

There’s a big gap at the moment between my first two choices and Marvin Lewis. 

I find it funny how people dont want a guy like Harbaugh but also would take Marvin Lewis who was a HC for 16 years and went 0-7 on WC weekend including 4 home games. 9 of the 16 years they didn't make the playoffs. Hes a slightly above .500 HC who can't win big games. Would be a very mediocre hire. We have got to do better than a Marvin Lewis. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’m still not sure I’m fully onboard. Have to think about it some more. But I like what he did with Cincy. Often times we look for these guys who are in class A organizations and are used to working in a well structured environment. We’re not that and knowing what you’re working in is important.

There’s a big gap at the moment between my first two choices and Marvin Lewis. 

Yeah.. We will see.  I get feeling that Jets will hire someone we aren't immediately fond of.

21 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I find it funny how people dont want a guy like Harbaugh but also would take Marvin Lewis who was a HC for 16 years and went 0-7 on WC weekend including 4 home games. 9 of the 16 years they didn't make the playoffs. Hes a slightly above .500 HC who can't win big games. Would be a very mediocre hire. We have got to do better than a Marvin Lewis. 

If Jets want playoff push now then JH is right man to hire.   As far as JD is concerned, he focuses on building the roster piece by piece meaning Jets may not be ready to be a contender for playoff next 2 seasons. That is where Lewis and Caldwell fit there. Unfortunately, both falls onto the category where Todd Bowles fits.   Tremendous at having loyalty out of players but too soft to manage meaningful games.

Rent either Lewis or Caldwell for 2 seasons before hand the job to an aggressive coach with hunger for playoff opportunity.

Perhaps?

If we hired Marvin Lewis I wouldn’t doubt he would bring us back to respectability...but I believe he would cap our ability to succeed based off his inability to win big games. Only sure fire way I’d be okay with him is if we hired a young mind as an OC or DC to groom for the next 2-3 years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I’m not against Jim H.

The playoff thing is a good critique. But I think the difference between a good coach and a great coach is the QB. Great QBs make good coaches look great. Look at Cincy before he got there. He lifted that organization from rock bottom.

I won’t die on this sword. He’s intriguing to me. Especially after hearing DJs take on coaching. He suggested bad organizations should focus on coaches who have had success in bad organizations. I agree with that logic.

Edited by SDotNova

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

If we hired Marvin Lewis I wouldn’t doubt he would bring us back to respectability...but I believe he would cap our ability to succeed based off his inability to win big games. Only sure fire way I’d be okay with him is if we hired a young mind as an OC or DC to groom for the next 2-3 years 

But he’ll have Trevor Lawrence. If he’s the QB we all think he his, that’s a big difference. It’s a legit fear though since he only got Cincy to be just good.

I agree about getting young up and coming OC and DC. The only rumors I’ve heard is that teams will be looking at him. Not sure what he’d do at the coordinator positions. 

Edited by SDotNova

Regarding Marvin Lewis, I do not know too much about his coaching style. He always appeared to be cool, calm and collected. Is he overly player friendly? Does he instill player discipline and hold them accountable without alienating them?  Will he let his OC and DC do their jobs without taking over yet having input?  Just a few questions I have because I think he is an interesting candidate.