2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

lol I really feel bad for Anthony Lynn. His special teams coach was screwing up so bad, he took over the coaching duties and won because of it. 

Back to us, I love Martindale, but I have to take him off my list. I couldn't pick him over any of the other options. 

I, too, like Daboll. Art is still my number one. I just want a HC, a CEO type. Think Tomlin, BB, Judge, etc. They hire coordinators and position coaches and let them do their job, if not buh-bye. I do not want another glorified coordinator running the team with a puppet coordinator. It does not work for us. I also want someone that will work with the FO and the FO works with them. This is why it is important JD makes the hire. 

I would love Cowher, the more I think about that possibility. Who knows if Trevor Lawrence is enough to lure him away from his cushy job. He has his flaws, but in terms of commanding respect, there are very few in the league with more (and probably no one we could hire).

Daboll does look great right now, his offense is spectacular. 

My top three are now Cowher, Bieniemy and Saleh. But this is a fluid situation. :)

15 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I would love Cowher, the more I think about that possibility. Who knows if Trevor Lawrence is enough to lure him away from his cushy job. He has his flaws, but in terms of commanding respect, there are very few in the league with more (and probably no one we could hire).

Daboll does look great right now, his offense is spectacular. 

My top three are now Cowher, Bieniemy and Saleh. But this is a fluid situation. :)

Replace Bieniemy with Matt Cambell and we're on the same page.

If the young, innovative potential OCs would be willing to work with Cowher and Cowher would be willing to work them, he could be a  home run hire. For example, I don't want Hugh Jackson running the offense and Buddy Ryan running the defense.

My two biggest interview questions for Cowher would be:

Are you willing to use analytics to your advantage?

Are you open and willing to hire assistants who show an aptitude for where the game is and where it's going?(especially on offense) In other words, are you willing to be the old dog that can learn new tricks?

Edited by mattmanz91

3 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Replace Bieniemy with Matt Cambell and we're on the same page.

If the young, innovative potential OCs would be willing to work with Cowher and Cowher would be willing to work them, he could be a  home run hire. For example, I don't want Hugh Jackson running the offense and Buddy Ryan running the defense.

My two biggest interview questions for Cowher would be:

Are you willing to use analytics to your advantage?

Are you open and willing to hire assistants who show an aptitude for where the game is and where it's going?(especially on offense) In other words, are you willing to be the old dog that can learn new tricks?

Well, one would suspect that Cowher already knows this. If he takes another HC gig, it is because he is willing to learn new tricks. He has been away for a decade now, no? 

When you have a Trevor Lawrence in your midst, it's a different animal.

22 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Well, one would suspect that Cowher already knows this. If he takes another HC gig, it is because he is willing to learn new tricks. He has been away for a decade now, no? 

When you have a Trevor Lawrence in your midst, it's a different animal.

I hope so but it doesn't appear that Gruden has fully embraced the way the NFL is now a days.

Cowher has been away for 14 years but has obviously stayed close to the game so hopefully that leads to him embracing the game as it has evolved. 

Edited by mattmanz91

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Cowher/Harbaugh won’t be the Jets coach 

Still like Arthur Smith the most out of the coordinators

I think there's a better chance of Cowher than Harbaugh but I wouldn't be surprised if there's was at least a hush hush interview with Cowher. Ultimately I think the Jets go to the ends of the earth to try and lure Matt Cambell away from Iowa.

Bill Cowher was just polite.  Who knows what will happen once the season is over.   I recall that Cowher was starting to collect available coaches for his potential HC gig but it came up short and Cowher dropped HC opportunity.  Right now, I only see Ken Whisenhunt and Ray Horton as top available for Cowher's coordinators. It sounds unappealing and I don't know how strong connection he is with new generational coaches. He has good eyes for potential, though.

If you worry about dry spell of former head coaches then forget them.  Stay focus on modern coaches.