2021's Head Coaching Candidates

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there has to be a clear plan for JD to propose a HC or else a good HC won’t take the job. And you can’t blame them for that. I’d want to know who my QB is going to be before I’d accept a job if I were a HC. JD I think will have to say we will be drafting “insert a name here” and he will be our QB. To leave that open. I think can only hurt us.

He should have a good gage once Gase is fired on if he likes Fields or Wilson more.

Would you give the coach the option to choose whether or not he wanted Fields, Wilson or Darnold? I think that in itself is enough to entice the coach to take the job, that way he’s not stuck with a guy. But even so JD will want to meet with these kids before making a decision on one of them. Browns had been all in on Darnold until Dorsey met Mayfield. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So Arthur Smith and trading the #2 pick are the path to success. 

I would rather take this road than draft Fields @ 2. Ultimately, I believe the head coach should decide on the QB. If bringing someone in who thinks they can turn Darnold around, great. If not, then let the HC take their QB. 

1 minute ago, TheGDJets said:

I would rather take this road than draft Fields @ 2. Ultimately, I believe the head coach should decide on the QB. If bringing someone in who thinks they can turn Darnold around, great. If not, then let the HC take their QB. 

I agree the Head Coach should take their QB but what I’m looking for in a coach is someone who can see the overall picture for the team and have us competing in every aspect. I wouldn’t be against Smith but it’s not my ideal move.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there has to be a clear plan for JD to propose a HC or else a good HC won’t take the job. And you can’t blame them for that. I’d want to know who my QB is going to be before I’d accept a job if I were a HC. JD I think will have to say we will be drafting “insert a name here” and he will be our QB. To leave that open. I think can only hurt us.

He should have a good gage once Gase is fired on if he likes Fields or Wilson more.

I'm not sure if that happens in general because you never know who will slip, who may offer a big trade, or anything. Some of these coaches aren't thinking about college prospects during the season, so they'll only get a small window to scout during the hiring process. You still have to go through combine, interviews, and workouts before these guys have an answer. So GMs don't have to have a locked in answer, but us having the #2 pick gives JD a chance to pitch the opportunity to land on any QB they agree on after the scouting process. That's the part that's comforting. None of the top coaches in the league have a #1 picked QB, they were able to work with who they had or use the flexibility to decide with the GM who the right guy is. Having a QB you want to force coaches to adapt to may limit more options than giving coaches the room to help pick the guy. We'll see though. 

If you're a potential coach looking at us, we're a team that can get any QB they want besides Lawrence (Vet or draft), A lot of cap space to get guys that fit his system, Multiple early picks in this year and next year's draft (Could be more if we traded back), a locker room that kept fighting hard enough to beat one of the best teams in the league, A GM that did good with the first draft, and doesn't have to face the pressure of replacing another good coach. lol We are in a great position and a coach will see these things. 

Edited by rickyt31
3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Would you give the coach the option to choose whether or not he wanted Fields, Wilson or Darnold? I think that in itself is enough to entice the coach to take the job, that way he’s not stuck with a guy. But even so JD will want to meet with these kids before making a decision on one of them. Browns had been all in on Darnold until Dorsey met Mayfield. 

Good question. And without thinking deeply about it. My initial answer is heck no. JD should choose his QB. Not the QB a HC wants. Obviously the best solution is to just get a guy that wants the same guy as him. And I’d imagine that’s what happens. But I certainly wouldn’t tell a HC as a GM to pick your QB if you have a guy you prefer.

For example... I’m a boss at my job. And I have an assistant supervisor “technically” under me. But it’s me who mainly manages my employees. I would never tell him (assistant supervisor) to hire who he wants. I’ll hire who I want.

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Good question. And without thinking deeply about it. My initial answer is heck no. JD should choose his QB. Not the QB a HC wants. Obviously the best solution is to just get a guy that wants the same guy as him. And I’d imagine that’s what happens. But I certainly wouldn’t tell a HC as a GM to pick your QB if you have a guy you prefer.

For example... I’m a boss at my job. And I have an assistant supervisor “technically” under me. But it’s me who mainly manages my employees. I would never tell him (assistant supervisor) to hire who he wants. I’ll hire who I want.

In my current position my boss wanted me but needed approval from her boss. Her boss decided to give my boss me because I was who she wanted. It's something about being successful that you said about Quarterbacks and thats giving them pieces to be successful. Shouldn't the same be done for the coach?

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

In my current position my boss wanted me but needed approval from her boss. Her boss decided to give my boss me because I was who she wanted. It's something about being successful that you said about Quarterbacks and thats giving them pieces to be successful. Shouldn't the same be done for the coach?

Absolutely. Truth is is it should all Align.

JD and who he hires as the HC should have a similar vision for the team. And I mean that from a team building a how to win perspective. Obviously everyone’s goal is to win. But the vision for the team goes deeper than that. Hiring a new HC opens that opportunity. I also believe JD and that HC should agree on who the QB for this team should be. We will know our draft spot before hiring a guy. So it should be talked about. I know it sounds crazy maybe to some... but Let’s say JD really wants Fields. In the way I’d like it to be... he shouldn’t hire anyone who doesn’t want Fields. That’s starting off on the wrong foot right away. So hire a guy that shares the same vision with you. This goes obviously well beyond just a QB. Building the OL which we know JD values. I think he will value WR more than we initially thought after this season as well. We know he values edge rushers. Get a guy who sees that vision with JD. Not one that fights it.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. Truth is is it should all Align.

JD and who he hires as the HC should have a similar vision for the team. And I mean that from a team building a how to win perspective. Obviously everyone’s goal is to win. But the vision for the team goes deeper than that. Hiring a new HC opens that opportunity. I also believe JD and that HC should agree on who the QB for this team should be. We will know our draft spot before hiring a guy. So it should be talked about. I know it sounds crazy maybe to some... but Let’s say JD really wants Fields. In the way I’d like it to be... he shouldn’t hire anyone who doesn’t want Fields. That’s starting off on the wrong foot right away. So hire a guy that shares the same vision with you. This goes obviously well beyond just a QB. Building the OL which we know JD values. I think he will value WR more than we initially thought after this season as well. We know he values edge rushers. Get a guy who sees that vision with JD. Not one that fights it.

Isn't it too early tho to decide on who he wants, unless its Lawrence? He hasn't even met these kids and I'm pretty sure he hasn't gone deep into film yet. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Isn't it too early tho to decide on who he wants, unless its Lawrence? He hasn't even met these kids and I'm pretty sure he hasn't gone deep into film yet. 

He has a scouting background. I’m sure he has a good idea of who he likes. He’s known for quite sometime we will be drafting 1st or 2nd. I wouldn’t say his mind is made up... but I’m sure he is very confident in who he’d like. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has a scouting background. I’m sure he has a good idea of who he likes. He’s known for quite sometime we will be drafting 1st or 2nd. I wouldn’t say his mind is made up... but I’m sure he is very confident in who he’d like. 

I just fear losing out on the best coach possible if that coach wants a kid other than Fields

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I just fear losing out on the best coach possible if that coach wants a kid other than Fields

I just used Fields as an example. My point is that I think who JD wants at QB should align with who our new HC wants at QB.

• Like 1