2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

Just now, JetsandI said:

NW has to deal with power 5 teams. Bearcats aren't (at least not enough)

Yeah, but he was able to recruit around the same spots and develop into a top-10 that nearly beat UGA. Cinci would likely beat NW if they played this season. That's why I have to see what separates him from the others. 

Just now, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, but he was able to recruit around the same spots and develop into a top-10 that nearly beat UGA. Cinci would likely beat NW if they played this season. That's why I have to see what separates him from the others. 

A lot of talented people who could not pass the education requirement for NW.  That is problem.

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

You can literally say that for anyone. 

Yeah.

Anyway, Luke Fickell has yet to go thru recycle of players.  Fitzgerald has been with NW for close to 15 years so he has gone thru many recycles of players.  New and inexperienced qb may affect record. Something like that.  Still, I can't say Fitzgerald would be another Nick Saban if he caoched UM or OSU.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Yeah.

Anyway, Luke Fickell has yet to go thru recycle of players.  Fitzgerald has been with NW for close to 15 years so he has gone thru many recycles of players.  New and inexperienced qb may affect record. Something like that.  Still, I can't say Fitzgerald would be another Nick Saban if he caoched UM or OSU.

That's fair. I just have to look deeper into to see if he's really the best coach to give us a chance to win. People were ready to offer Lincoln Riley a HC position not to long ago and he only coached for 4 years. So as long as I can see competitive consistency , I'm good. 

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That's fair. I just have to look deeper into to see if he's really the best coach to give us a chance to win. People were ready to offer Lincoln Riley a HC position not to long ago and he only coached for 4 years. So as long as I can see competitive consistency , I'm good. 

Riley is different animal.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Riley is different animal.

That's why I'm not worried about how many years as an HC. Some coaches just got it and can be ready sooner than others. So I just have to watch some more NW games to see if I really like him scheme, leadership, and ability to adapt. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That's why I'm not worried about how many years as an HC. Some coaches just got it and can be ready sooner than others. So I just have to watch some more NW games to see if I really like him scheme, leadership, and ability to adapt. 

I still think he would rather taking AD job there than coaching NFL.  He has been involved with NW activities/programs too much. It is going to be tough to leave everything behind.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I still think he would rather taking AD job there than coaching NFL.  He has been involved with NW activities/programs too much. It is going to be tough to leave everything behind.

I can see that. He had chances to leave for bigger programs and never did. If he did leave, it might be to start a new challenge. Had a great season, but I can't see any well developed players from his time. Trevor Siemian looked terrible at NW. I'm not seeing well developed players come from his system or system people are excited to see. He does find a way to win, so that's why I'm still interested, but I have to do my research. 

Example, if I compare him to James Franklin, who also deals with a high standard of education, he took over a program not far from the worst time anyone could ever imagine. Recruited through restrictions, players transferred, and had that dark cloud hanging over him. He was able to recruit and develop guys like Barkley, Sanders, Godwin, Parsons, and others while getting consistent play from his QB every year. Started off ugly this year and hot towards the end. This is his only losing season as a coach since 2011. I can't compare Fitzgerald to that although he coached longer. 

22 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I can see that. He had chances to leave for bigger programs and never did. If he did leave, it might be to start a new challenge. Had a great season, but I can't see any well developed players from his time. Trevor Siemian looked terrible at NW. I'm not seeing well developed players come from his system or system people are excited to see. He does find a way to win, so that's why I'm still interested, but I have to do my research. 

Example, if I compare him to James Franklin, who also deals with a high standard of education, he took over a program not far from the worst time anyone could ever imagine. Recruited through restrictions, players transferred, and had that dark cloud hanging over him. He was able to recruit and develop guys like Barkley, Sanders, Godwin, Parsons, and others while getting consistent play from his QB every year. Started off ugly this year and hot towards the end. This is his only losing season as a coach since 2011. I can't compare Fitzgerald to that although he coached longer. 

I lost faith in their offense few years ago.  However, he managed to hire Bajakian and managed to get graduated transfer qb for this year.  With or without Covid crap, he has idea how to assemble coaching staff to meet the goal.  If he ends up a NFL HC you can expect him to hire right OC and DC. Thats all.   One thing that scares me is he is more like a conservative coach than let it ride cowboy.

BTW, Lynn is out.

Just now, JetsandI said:

I lost faith in their offense few years ago.  However, he managed to hire Bajakian and managed to get graduated transfer qb for this year.  With or without Covid crap, he has idea how to assemble coaching staff to meet the goal.  If he ends up a NFL HC you can expect him to hire right OC and DC. Thats all.   One thing that scares me is he is more like a conservative coach than let it ride cowboy.

BTW, Lynn is out.

I'm worried about hiring an HC who sucks after losing the hot coordinator. I'm looking for that Tomlin type of coach if possible. Doesn't matter if Ben is hurt, doesn't matter if he loses coordinators, or how good the other teams are in the division, they stay competitive. He was a coordinator for one year before getting that job. So I'm trying to go into this with an open mind. It's hard. I'm really looking for leadership, examples of adapting, and consistency if possible.