2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm worried about hiring an HC who sucks after losing the hot coordinator. I'm looking for that Tomlin type of coach if possible. Doesn't matter if Ben is hurt, doesn't matter if he loses coordinators, or how good the other teams are in the division, they stay competitive. He was a coordinator for one year before getting that job. So I'm trying to go into this with an open mind. It's hard. I'm really looking for leadership, examples of adapting, and consistency if possible. 

Steelers' system has been awesome. It is easy for Tomlin to do his job there.  As for Jets.  pffftt, it is tough. Whoever we hire HC he has to be 5x strength than Tomlin as green HC.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Steelers' system has been awesome. It is easy for Tomlin to do his job there.  As for Jets.  pffftt, it is tough. Whoever we hire HC he has to be 5x strength than Tomlin as green HC.

Definitely have a great system, but he never dropped below .500 as a Steeler. That's amazing when you think of all the things they went through. Tomlin just went 8-8 last season with Rudolph, lost Conner during the season, and no #1 WR after Brown left. That's amazing. They were in the WC hunt until the end. Those are the things that make an HC great. 

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Definitely have a great system, but he never dropped below .500 as a Steeler. That's amazing when you think of all the things they went through. Tomlin just went 8-8 last season with Rudolph, lost Conner during the season, and no #1 WR after Brown left. That's amazing. They were in the WC hunt until the end. Those are the things that make an HC great. 

You know what that comes from right? Stability granted from ownership that does not let media/fan influence dictate their decision making while also giving their head coach and GM the ability to lead and players who do not buy in are shipped because it's about the entire team. 

That's all I really want, give our coach 4 years to build his program and figure things out. Get players that buy in completely and do their jobs and put the team first. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You know what that comes from right? Stability granted from ownership that does not let media/fan influence dictate their decision making while also giving their head coach and GM the ability to lead and players who do not buy in are shipped because it's about the entire team. 

That's all I really want, give our coach 4 years to build his program and figure things out. Get players that buy in completely and do their jobs and put the team first. 

Ownership has always screwed us up one way or another. Steelers found the right GM who can scout but also find the right coach. We've given coaches like Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, and Edwards at least 3-4 years. Timing isn't the problem. The Johnsons forcing decisions, not being able to find a GM who can draft, and Gase hurt us. Letting JD have complete control of the search is the only way we can turn things around now so he can get the guy who can work with the players he want. That Macc & Bowles search was probably handled the worst way possible. 

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Ownership has always screwed us up one way or another. Steelers found the right GM who can scout but also find the right coach. We've given coaches like Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, and Edwards at least 3-4 years. Timing isn't the problem. The Johnsons forcing decisions, not being able to find a GM who can draft, and Gase hurt us. Letting JD have complete control of the search is the only way we can turn things around now so he can get the guy who can work with the players he want. That Macc & Bowles search was probably handled the worst way possible. 

They were expected to come in and win right away, we need to actually build sustainable success.

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

One of the reasons I was researching Lynn. The biggest problem is that his only wins came against weak teams. I'm just not sure if that roster was supposed to win more or not. 

Lynn seems to be a solid coach ... but horrible in game manager