Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Colts (0-1)

swede700

The problem was always Cousins and by extension the GM/Coach for choosing to not go find his potential replacement.

And the news flash is.... we're prolly still not going to because it's not "realistic" (ha)

Vikings are a safe organization, Cam Newton was available and we did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by CriminalMind

51 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The problem was always Cousins and by extension the GM/Coach for choosing to not go find his potential replacement.

And the news flash is.... we're prolly still not going to because it's not "realistic" (ha)

Vikings are a safe organization, Cam Newton was available and we did absolutely nothing. 

Seems Spielman has absolute job security and there isn’t much urgency from ownership. Being a playoff contender every other year may just be good enough considering the Wilfs have It pretty well made with US Bank Stadium and the brand new training facility. Certainly explains why they’d push for that Cousins extension. You don’t really have to worry about him as a person and he’s generally a good QB, could certainly be much worse. But the team has to be stacked around Cousins for it to work out. I don’t have much confidence that the talent level will be that of the 2016-2018 teams. The draft classes have been really bad for what, four years now.

At the end of the day, this team has no ability to persevere and overcome adversity. Two weeks in a row the defense can’t get off the field and the offense can’t move the ball after the first series, which is always scripted. I’d expect much more from Zimmer but it’s apparent that there’s a huge talent gap, which is really new for us. We might have a bottom ten roster. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Having Diggs on this team would help a ton. The offense is struggling to maintain drives. Anything that helps maintain drives would help the defense. Diggs would be a huge piece in helping maintain drives. He wouldn't be as huge as a couple good offensive linemen, but the team already had Diggs. They didn't have an offensive lineman worth keeping around.

If you think that Diggs would need to play CB, DT, or any other defensive position to help the defense you have lost my attention on that topic.

The Vikings looked great on that first drive and then their offense stunk until the game was over. Same story as last week. Adam Thielen is good but he can't be the entire passing offense. No WR is that good. I wish the team got Irv Smith more involved or got more out of Kyle Rudolph. Perhaps Justin Jefferson will be able to step up. He hasn't yet but he also hasn't been given a lot of opportunity to step up. The QB the team chose is somewhat problematic in that he is good enough to win games but he isn't good enough to take over games. It is the Jay Cutler situation, a QB that is good enough to justify keeping around but ultimately he ends up costing the team a decade because he is not good enough to take the team to the promised land.

Cousins is good enough to put up stats against soft defenses with down by two scores but he isn't often leading the team to victories while doing that so those stats are ultimately meaningless. This is two weeks in a row that he put up stats of yards while playing from behind but those state were too little too late. It is after the defense is playing soft with a huge lead. To justify that contract, Kurt ought to be putting up those stats when it matters.

The disappointment in the Kurt tenure is graded on the curve of being on a team that can't put together a strong offensive line. Even on that curve, I want a new QB. A strong offensive line would be a welcome change too.

@Skins212689 is right. He has been right all along. I know a lot of people here gave him a hard time for presenting truth to us. I sincerely hope that I wasn't one of them. I don't think that I was, but I am not sure.

What scares me is our coaching staff feels as though bisi is a better option right now. I’m trying to figure out exactly why, and he had a couple catches late in the game (I can’t lie I turned it off in anger lol). The skinsfan guy I remember him vividly coming in game threads and trashing cousins. I for sure was one of the guys who had a legit debate with him on why cousins would succeed. It’s funny you bring him up, because now that you mention it, he told us the EXACT issue with cousins and we are seeing it right now. It’s not the oline fault either because they actually gave him some time. 

I'm not sure why you guys are praising @Skins212689 so much when @Virginia Viking told us all about Cousins when he first signed.  Nothing that Cousins has done (or not done) should be surprising us in the least.  He's good enough to win with, but needs a lot of help around him because he can't carry on a team on his shoulders consistently.  And the debate over Diggs appears to already be revisionist history.  That wasn't a relationship that could be maintained because one party put himself, in the end, above the team.  

20 minutes ago, erickendricks4pf said:

first time poster here folks...we suck

Welcome aboard...even if it is under such auspicious circumstances. They clearly haven't played well across the board the first 2 weeks, but it can change.  The offense needs to do better to give the defense some relief.    

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Welcome aboard...even if it is under such auspicious circumstances. They clearly haven't played well across the board the first 2 weeks, but it can change.  The offense needs to do better to give the defense some relief.    

I thought the defense was good enough yesterday overall even if they did get gashed on the ground at times. but not being able to sustain drives is our biggest issue right now, I would agree. it is a mix of predictable play calling, accuracy issues from Cousins and untimely drops and penalties. basically everything than can go wrong is. at least we're on pace to be the best two point conversion team of all time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, erickendricks4pf said:

I plan on it! Been looking for a place to talk Vikings for a while. I find reddit to be too sunshiney and a bit of an echo chamber, and tweeting into the void wasn't getting it done haha.

Just make sure to come with your "A" game, because many of us have been here for 10+ years and we like to have actual substantive discussions and not just snippet retorts like you often find on other sites...well, at least most of us.  🤣

• Like 1

1) This was Cousins' worst game as a Viking I've seen. In context it wasn't indicative -- rather an outlier.

2) Lest you forget he owned New Orleans in January -- count on your fingers -- not that long ago. More than any one player, it was Cousins who rallied this team on the road in the playoffs. And that was a much more important game period.

3) We just extended Cousins. Any want of a different QB right now is just insane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All this talk about tanking and blowing things up (AFTER 2 GAMES -- were you alive last year?) makes my blood boil. I didn't know quit was something to bandy about around here. 

It's going to take an ENTIRE losing season before major changes across the board should even be considered. Even then, the Vikings have so much invested in the core players and staff right now that one lost season would be premature to make rash decisions.

Have some perspective. 

• Like 1

This team is a shell of its former self if we’re comparing against the team that won a playoff game against in New Orleans, earlier in the year (was that still this year, it’s been a long year). The young CBs can’t cover, the defense can’t force third and longs and the offense can’t move the ball outside of the first drive and late in the 4th when the game is out of reach. Nothing about this team is similar to the one 10 months ago, so that comparison really isn’t fair at this point. 

There’s maybe two weeks to turn it around, otherwise, the season will be over by mid October. 

• Like 1