Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Colts (0-1)

swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

This team is a shell of its former self if we’re comparing against the team that won a playoff game against in New Orleans, earlier in the year (was that still this year, it’s been a long year). The young CBs can’t cover, the defense can’t force third and longs and the offense can’t move the ball outside of the first drive and late in the 4th when the game is out of reach. Nothing about this team is similar to the one 10 months ago, so that comparison really isn’t fair at this point. 

There’s maybe two weeks to turn it around, otherwise, the season will be over by mid October. 

None of us were saying this team would be better this year though. If anything, many said we'd have to take a step back to take a step forward. That doesn't mean you blow it all up and tank. If we would have had a season like the Lions did last year, blowing it up would have made sense -- but no -- we lost to an excellent 49ers team in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

Hunter being injured is apparently even a bigger deal than we thought. There's been no pass-rush. I thought Ngakoue would be putting consistent pressure on the QB, but it hasn't happened. His one sack/pressure was on a 3rd and forever. Any speed-rusher worth a salt would have put pressure on that play. Nobody else on the line has even sniffed the QB. Where's Odenigbo? Isn't he up for contract too? Meanwhile our DT's were gashed by the Colts and Taylor. Pierce was supposed to be part of the answer there though. 

Why is the offense a shell of its former self? The same cast of characters sans Diggs (+ Jefferson) and remember Thielen was out for half the season last year. I didn't think the offense would struggle like this, but they have. It doesn't help that the Guard position wasn't properly addressed. Cousins is getting a lot of pressure from the inside.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, babababa said:

None of us were saying this team would be better this year though. If anything, many said we'd have to take a step back to take a step forward. That doesn't mean you blow it all up and tank. If we would have had a season like the Lions did last year, blowing it up would have made sense -- but no -- we lost to an excellent 49ers team in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

Hunter being injured is apparently even a bigger deal than we thought. There's been no pass-rush. I thought Ngakoue would be putting consistent pressure on the QB, but it hasn't happened. His one sack/pressure was on a 3rd and forever. Any speed-rusher worth a salt would have put pressure on that play. Nobody else on the line has even sniffed the QB. Where's Odenigbo? Isn't he up for contract too? Meanwhile our DT's were gashed by the Colts and Taylor. Pierce was supposed to be part of the answer there though. 

Why is the offense a shell of its former self? The same cast of characters sans Diggs (+ Jefferson) and remember Thielen was out for half the season last year. I didn't think the offense would struggle like this, but they have. It doesn't help that the Guard position wasn't properly addressed. Cousins is getting a lot of pressure from the inside.

Offensively, Cousins isn’t nearly as good as he was last year. That’s the biggest catalyst to this regression. His level of play this year is simply not up to par of a starting level QB. Last year, he was legit great. The offense starts with him, and ultimately with the rebuild on defense, the team goes as far as he goes. There’s still time to turn it around but Cousins has to be the worst ranked starting QB in football right now. I just don’t expect a turn around to occur in the next three weeks with the Titans and Seahawks as two difficult opponents.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Offensively, Cousins isn’t nearly as good as he was last year. That’s the biggest catalyst to this regression. His level of play this year is simply not up to par of a starting level QB. Last year, he was legit great. The offense starts with him, and ultimately with the rebuild on defense, the team goes as far as he goes. There’s still time to turn it around but Cousins has to be the worst ranked starting QB in football right now. I just don’t expect a turn around to occur in the next three weeks with the Titans and Seahawks as two difficult opponents.

I agree.  While I didn't think the defense would be nearly as bad as it has been, it was and is incumbent on Cousins to pick up the slack and elevate the offense to help out the defense.  He has failed to do that on a ponderific level.  He needs to play far better and make far better decisions than he has to this point.  Let's hope this game was his Week 2 at Lambeau-like episode for this year...because, if not, they will continue to struggle badly as a team.

• Like 2

Most frustrating thing for me is the way we just dumped what seems to be everyone on the defensive side.  I am not a huge Waynes guy but I had assumed we would keep him and dump Rhodes.  Then you draft Rhodes replacement and move on.  I never expected to dump our entire starting CB group.  Lets be honest about it, Rhodes is better than any corner on our roster right now.  Even if he is nothing but a shadow of what he once was.

It was unfortunate how the Joseph/Pence situation ended up so I cannot blame the team for that but their track record for drafting defensive tackles is closing in on their inability to draft offensive guards.  Johnson, Shamar, Holmes, etc... they are all just guys.  Backups at best.

What I have always liked about our roster in the past, especially on the defensive side, is that we could take our time and let guys develop if only for a year.  Floyd was drafted but we still had Kevin Williams.  Griffen and Robison had time to develop behind Jared and Edwards.  We spent the 11th pick on Waynes and we still played Newman a lot.  Sure some rookies could step in as rookies but it seemed, for me at least, that we avoided that.

I also wouldn't be surprised that losing George Edwards has impacted that defensive locker room.  Edwards was always a positive reinforcement type of coach.  Which made him a good contrast to Zimmer.  You also lose a respected guy like Joseph and a vocal guy like Griffen.  Harrison and Hunter are quiet guys both tend to let their play speak for themselves.  Maybe Kendricks and Barr?  I dunno.

I don't see much hope for this season with this roster.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Didn't Cousins really struggle early on except for a couple games that he didn't need to do anything?

Maybe now that everyone is writing him off he'll start rolling

39 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Bruckner a huge man. He'd do that to alot of young guards. Samia should use that as fuel to get better and stronger.

It wasn’t so much about strength as it was Samia’s horrendous footwork that took him of balance. 

Edited by SemperFeist