Derek Carr out 2-6 weeks

pwny

6 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Damn, I got confidence in Manuel, but also was confident in McGloin. 

Yeah, that's the worry here.

We thought a below average QB would slot into our team last year and be serviceable enough due to the talent around him. We were way off.

Manuel showed glimpses of being definitely better than McGloin on Sunday, but I still don't particularly have much confidence in him.

They will not rush Carr back because there is no rushing back from that injury.  There risk of that injury is not like other injuries.  He will play as soon as he can deal with the pain.  That is why some players come back after one week with this injury.  They were not healed in one week but were able to deal with the pain.

While deflating to lose Carr for any period of time, I'm excited for Manuel to get a chance. IMO, he was scapegoat for a lot of issues in Buffalo.

He was over drafted 2013 in a bad QB class. Drafted to develop and then thrust into an impossible situation. Thrown to the fire when he was suppose to redshirt behind Kolb (injured in preseason). He didn't have an actual QB coach as a rookie in 2013 (Hackett was the OC and QB coach in title).

10 games into his rookie season, he injures his knee. 2014, goes 2-2 in 4 games and Marrone turns to Orton as the starter. 2015, Rex comes in and goes with Tyrod. He gets some spot duty. He got all of 17 starts in Buffalo amid staff changes, etc. Never received a fair shake.

He's got size,  a good arm and good mobility (which he can use). He's playing with the best cast he's ever had. Has a chance to resurrect his career a little. Just needs to play within himself and hopefully they tweak the offense to his strengths. 

It's not like our offense was any good with Carr out there. Truth is something is not clicking this season. Maybe guys believed their own hype, maybe Downing isn't any good or ready yet, maybe they weren't as good as they looked last year. Anyway, Carr and the offense weren't winning us games so far. 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

It's not like our offense was any good with Carr out there. Truth is something is not clicking this season. Maybe guys believed their own hype, maybe Downing isn't any good or ready yet, maybe they weren't as good as they looked last year. Anyway, Carr and the offense weren't winning us games so far. 

Except the games they won. 

We we need to put things in perspective. Denver is a dang good defense that humiliated the cowboys and almost beat the bills. The Redskins have been dominating great offenses with the Rams and chiefs. Heck last night they kept the chiefs down until injuries set in. 

In other words the offense has played some really good defenses the last few weeks and two playoff teams. They're 2-2 not 0-4. If Manuel can weather the storm and go .500 the Raiders will be in good shape. 

Above all though I don't want Carr to comeback early. I'd rather miss playoffs this season than watch him have back problems for the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

They played 2 good defenses the last 2 weeks. The first 2 weeks, they were flat dominate. TD is a rookie OC, there are going to be growing pains.

Everyone is overreacting right now. This team has talent and baring Carr's health, they will get it right.

I keep repeating it. You want to WIN in Nov. and Dec. That's where playoff teams are made. I can promise you a couple things:

1) The Raiders are not as bad as they've shown the last 2 week. They've got a lot of talent. The defense is growing. Mack and MEJ are game changers and will continue to grow. Cooper isn't going to be held down. Lynch is just fine... again, everyone is overreacting:  https://theathletic.com/116904/2017/10/03/raiders-film-room-looking-at-the-offensive-issues-and-identifying-potential-solutions/

2) The Chiefs are not going to remain as hot as they started. Alex Smith will come back to earth and their defense ranks bottom 3rd against the run and pass. 

Patience.... the season is a marathon. Playoff teams win in Nov/Dec. If they are struggling then, then we can overreact. They have a 3 home game stretch coming. Hopefully EJ can get them 1-1 and Carr is back for KC. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While deflating to lose Carr for any period of time, I'm excited for Manuel to get a chance. IMO, he was scapegoat for a lot of issues in Buffalo.

He was over drafted 2013 in a bad QB class. Drafted to develop and then thrust into an impossible situation. Thrown to the fire when he was suppose to redshirt behind Kolb (injured in preseason). He didn't have an actual QB coach as a rookie in 2013 (Hackett was the OC and QB coach in title).

10 games into his rookie season, he injures his knee. 2014, goes 2-2 in 4 games and Marrone turns to Orton as the starter. 2015, Rex comes in and goes with Tyrod. He gets some spot duty. He got all of 17 starts in Buffalo amid staff changes, etc. Never received a fair shake.

He's got size,  a good arm and good mobility (which he can use). He's playing with the best cast he's ever had. Has a chance to resurrect his career a little. Just needs to play within himself and hopefully they tweak the offense to his strengths. 

I was a big fan of his coming outta FSU. Definitely got reached for by Buffalo, and shunned by Rex and crew after his rookie year. Think a year holding the clipboard would have done him some good too, but he looks more confident with this team.

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Patience.... the season is a marathon. Playoff teams win in Nov/Dec. If they are struggling then, then we can overreact. They have a 3 home game stretch coming. Hopefully EJ can get them 1-1 and Carr is back for KC. 

Even if Carr comes back for KC, does anyone have confidence he can do anything against them? I sure don't. He has never played well against KC or Denver. We can blame Amari, we can blame Todd Downing, but fact is Carr shrinks when it comes to games like those. I saw Kirk Cousins last night make plays against KCs defense that should have won them the game. Carr can't even function 

His stats will always be pretty, but Carr hasn't proven to be a big game QB yet. There were throws against Denver that he just flat out missed, or didn't even attempt to throw because he plays scared. I love him as our QB and he is our franchise, but if we're being honest he's overrated right now.

Archived