3 Ups and 3 Downs WFT vs. Eagles

MikeT14

Great comeback win. Really haven't seen or enjoyed something like that in a while. Was great to see.

3 Ups

1. The Defensive Line - Gonna be a lot easier for us to keep it close/win if our D-Line keeps that up. 8 sacks is incredible. A special shoutout to the all-time Washington sack leader Ryan Kerrigan. Happy for him. 

2. Dwayne Haskins - Another game with no turnovers. That is a good step in the right direction for him. Also kudos to him for stepping up at halftime and being a leader.

3. Halftime Adjustment - what the hell is that? What a flip of the script on defense. Even the offense moved better.

3 Downs

1. The run game - Boy was that awful. Take away Gibson's 20 yard run and he had 8 carries for 16 yards. Barber was 17 for 29. McKissic was -2 on 3 carries. There's going to need to be some massive improvements to this.

2. Dwayne Haskins - It wasn't all roses with him. He missed some throws. Bad. Mechanics still seem questionable. 

3. The safeties - Yes, it was a tale of two halves, but that first half was pretty rough for Collins and especially Apke. It'll be something to watch moving forward. 

• Like 3

I'd add Logan Thomas to the ups lone TD Catch for the team and made a heads up play that might of won the game.WOuld prob take Haskins out of both as they cancel out and add the Left side of OLINE to the downs.

Edited by ovfd55
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

AGG - If he did I didn't notice . BTW- did anyone notice Cam Sims was active from the practice squad ? Noticed him on S Ts .

Yeah, a couple people explained to me you could activate guys from the PS three times during the season or something. 

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

were you trying to post this?

Yup. He needs better protection. I will say he did about as well as could be expected yesterday with the lack of protection and the receiving options.

At times, he just was straight poo. Sorry. No other way to say it. Bad mechanics, bad reads, etc...

And those had nothing to do with the OL or receivers. It was just him playing poorly.

And that ^^^ I will chalk up to no preseason games to get the rust out.

But what I WAS looking to see from him was how he played in the second half. Because with the same OL and receiving options he was able to move the ball effectively, make correct reads, get his feet set correctly, etc...

Hopefully I see more of "2nd half Dwayne" than "1st half Dwayne" this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. He needs better protection. I will say he did about as well as could be expected yesterday with the lack of protection and the receiving options.

At times, he just was straight poo. Sorry. No other way to say it. Bad mechanics, bad reads, etc...

And those had nothing to do with the OL or receivers. It was just him playing poorly.

And that ^^^ I will chalk up to no preseason games to get the rust out.

But what I WAS looking to see from him was how he played in the second half. Because with the same OL and receiving options he was able to move the ball effectively, make correct reads, get his feet set correctly, etc...

Hopefully I see more of "2nd half Dwayne" than "1st half Dwayne" this year.

Give him time I don't see or hear any reason why that wouldn't be possible. 

You have a 5th year QB in Wentz taking sacks and throwing unnecessary InT's. Haskins on the other hand lead his offense on a 24 point comeback in his 2nd season 1st year in this offense. Haskins definitely has the tools to build around. Plus shows a lot of Maturity and Motivation to want to get/do better. 

You add to that by fixing that Oline and adding Pieces around Haskins. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Just have to take a moment to tip the cap to old friend Jay Gruden who, as I’ve said for years, might be the best passing game coordinator in the world. To come out Week One, with a new team, and get a stat line like 19/20 with almost 8 YPA and 3 TDs out of Gardner Minshew — with that non-existent supporting cast? Pretty incredible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Just have to take a moment to tip the cap to old friend Jay Gruden who, as I’ve said for years, might be the best passing game coordinator in the world. To come out Week One, with a new team, and get a stat line like 19/20 with almost 8 YPA and 3 TDs out of Gardner Minshew — with that non-existent supporting cast? Pretty incredible. 

I like their supporting Cast lot of former draft crushes there,but it was a remarkable start,always will think Gruden a better OC then Head coach also helps when team fits his scheme more,felt like the longer he was here the more we got away from his scheme fit.

Watched the game again this morning when I was “working from home.” I think the left side of the OL has to be on the Losers side of this. 

It was always a risk going with Christian and Martin on the left side, and I think for Week One at least, it didn’t pay off. They struggled in both pass protection and run blocking.

Christian still appears to lack functional NFL strength. He just can’t move people, and he struggles to anchor and hold off pass rushers in pass protection. Even when he’s there and cuts them off, they can play through him and threaten the QB if the ball doesn’t get out immediately.

Martin seems to have issues with the initial punch or maybe his immediate explosion out of his stance — whatever the issue is, he seems to lose the initial engagement pretty regularly. He’s getting pushed back or knocked off balance (or lunging), and it really affects a lot of plays. He’s either knocked right back into Haskins’s face and speeding up his clock or the back is being forced to adjust on these quick-hitting run plays that need to get out the gate in a hurry. The funny thing is, he’s so country strong that sometimes he recovers and ends up with a relatively successful block — but the damage is already done by the initial disturbance. This is actually what happened on the 3rd down play some were arguing about in the game thread (about whether the pocket was collapsing or whether Haskins had room to step up): Malik Jackson beat Martin off the ball and was immediately a yard or two in the backfield; Haskins sees what appears to be immediate pressure flashing right in front of his face and goes hot; Martin actually ends up anchoring and successfully driving Jackson by Haskins, but his initial loss threw the whole play off. There was a good bit of that yesterday, to my uneducated eye. 

• Like 2