3 Ups and 3 Downs WFT vs. Eagles

MikeT14

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Watched the game again this morning when I was “working from home.” I think the left side of the OL has to be on the Losers side of this. 

It was always a risk going with Christian and Martin on the left side, and I think for Week One at least, it didn’t pay off. They struggled in both pass protection and run blocking.

Christian still appears to lack functional NFL strength. He just can’t move people, and he struggles to anchor and hold off pass rushers in pass protection. Even when he’s there and cuts them off, they can play through him and threaten the QB if the ball doesn’t get out immediately.

Martin seems to have issues with the initial punch or maybe his immediate explosion out of his stance — whatever the issue is, he seems to lose the initial engagement pretty regularly. He’s getting pushed back or knocked off balance (or lunging), and it really affects a lot of plays. He’s either knocked right back into Haskins’s face and speeding up his clock or the back is being forced to adjust on these quick-hitting run plays that need to get out the gate in a hurry. The funny thing is, he’s so country strong that sometimes he recovers and ends up with a relatively successful block — but the damage is already done by the initial disturbance. This is actually what happened on the 3rd down play some were arguing about in the game thread (about whether the pocket was collapsing or whether Haskins had room to step up): Malik Jackson beat Martin off the ball and was immediately a yard or two in the backfield; Haskins sees what appears to be immediate pressure flashing right in front of his face and goes hot; Martin actually ends up anchoring and successfully driving Jackson by Haskins, but his initial loss threw the whole play off. There was a good bit of that yesterday, to my uneducated eye. 

I agree hoping by Midseason Charles over takes Geron and we can at least see what he has

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Geron Christian was the worst rated T by PFF in Week 1.  Wes Martin was the 2nd worst rated G.  Chase Roullier was the 2nd worst rated C.

There are still two games to go, but I don't expect their rankings to change much.

This is... concerning, to say the least.  God speed Dwayne.

That pretty much lines up with what I saw on the re-watch. 

I was actually going to mention that Roullier had his struggles as well, but I figured that was probably largely down to the fact that Fletcher Cox is a nightmare matchup for him. I think for the most part we know what we have in him — mostly solid, dependable, overmatched by the upper echelon DTs. 

I’d probably give them another week, but if Christian and Martin don’t show a little more against Arizona (good luck with Chandler Jones, Geron), then I think we may see some tough calls made — to the cell phone of Donald Penn and/or to Schweitzer/Ismael. 

You simply can’t have the opportunity to evaluate the QB being disrupted and tainted by bad OL play. As we saw with Wentz, even seasoned QBs start to press and panic when they’re constantly under fire on most of their dropbacks. We won’t know if Haskins is any good if we get stuck learning every week how bad the OL is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Geron Christian was the worst rated T by PFF in Week 1.  Wes Martin was the 2nd worst rated G.  Chase Roullier was the 2nd worst rated C.

Roullier has always been a below average C. Martin I had hopes for, but it is what it is. He might still develop. I'm So ShOcKeD aBoUt GeRoN. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Upon further review, I blame the big Reagor catch on Collins more than I do Darby.  They both played it poorly though.  Wentz had great eye manipulation here.

Was a good double move by the WR to,would have to think the DBs expect the pressure to get there so will jump/bite on them more

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There are still two games to go, but I don't expect their rankings to change much.

This is... concerning, to say the least.  God speed Dwayne.

Is this 100% true? If so, yikes.

local media spoke about how much better Geron Christian looked in camp....but he looked bad and the numbers seemed to back it up. Always reaching and never moving his feet. 

Not entirely surprised after hearing his interview with the beat reporters. He actually said he didn't try nearly as hard because he knew he was behind Trent Williams (and eventually Donald Penn). Imagine that?

I think we need to give our old friend Donald Penn a call.

Anyone know what’s wrong with Scherwitzer? I never heard what his injury was. He would at least be a serviceable option at LG if Martin doesn’t improve.

I agree with the consensus that if Christian doesn’t improve over the next few games that they should call Penn and definitely draft Sewell in the 2021 draft or Leatherwood if they aren’t picking in the top 5.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Dwayne Haskins definitely is easy to root for. I’m not convinced he’ll ever be the QB we want him to be, but if he’s not it won’t be because he didn’t give it everything he had. 

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH JEEZY!?!?

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

With the left side of our OL struggling so much that affected the run game, really hard to evaluate the backs. I did like what Barber did in the red zone though, keep in mind when you have two short yardage TDs, that hurts your avg, but who cares? He scored!!

If you take away Peyton Barber's two touchdown runs, his average YPC actually goes down.