3 Ups and 3 Downs WFT vs. Eagles

MikeT14

On 9/16/2020 at 12:14 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Even still, Ertz and Goedert did a number on us early.  We still don't have any linebackers to handle these tight ends without some serious help.  We saw an interesting turnaround with the defense in the second half, and it will be interesting to see how we handle Arizona's offense

Also an odd playcall for the Eagles. Yes, it was 3rd down (had to look up which one :D ), but the had no one running underneath with the exception of a RB release where he ran like five yards and stopped.

I mean, there's a ten yard swath of grass, sideline-to-sideline with no one in it.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, turtle28 said:

Does this qualify as a down? Logan Thomas misses two blocks on one run play. Ugh 😫 

He didn't miss that first block so much as dodge out of the way of making it. "Oh no, he's going to hit me!" is not what you like to see in your lead blocker.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 12:12 PM, RSkinGM said:

Watch Haskins and the back get their feet tangled- throws the timing completely off. The first block shouldn't have been even needed . The second guy- I'm thinking Thomas thought the back was right on his heels . Plus Sweat coming straight up the middle almost blows it up right away .

I put the "yip!" block on Thomas, but I think that this one might be Christian's fault. The second one is Thomas's all the way and that ruins the potential for a spectacular play.

At snap: Thomas is in motion towards the left side (I suppose as a pulling blocker? might want to rethink that one later). Christian blocks inside on Hassan Ridgeway (who was right in front of Martin). This leaves Josh Sweat with a free rush into the backfield. McLaurin takes a quick step forward and the immediately breaks to take on the WILL 'backer (Duke Riley).

At handoff: Thomas, who I am generously going to give the responsibility of getting to the second level, sidesteps around Sweat so he can break to the edge. Gibson takes the ball and immediately sees the rusher right in front of him. He slams on the brakes and makes a jump cut to the left to avoid Sweat. Thankfully, this works. Because he's running away from the line of scrimmage, I'm not sure how that is on Haskins. His job is to make sure the ball is in Gibson's breadbasket and get out of the way. He does his job.

At the break: McLaurin actually does a pretty solid job of blocking as well as not blocking Riley in the back when he gets him to overcommit. He re-engages enough to allow Gibson to go by. This is where Thomas really fails. His one job (if he wasn't to pick up Sweat in the backfield, which is debatable) is to make sure the RCB (Darius Slay) is either blocked or at least tied up. Instead, he effectively runs past Slay, leaving Gibson one on one in open field (and the right side basically full of jerseys). He then turns around to watch the action.

Gibson is then tackled after a small gain. If Thomas can engage for maybe a second or two, Gibson has the left side line all to himself (there were 9 in the box at the start of the play). Depending on where the safeties are that's at least 15-20 yards and possibly a touchdown.

• Like 2

I can buy this --, however, I still can make the point ( not saying I'm right ! ) that Thomas who doesn't have eyes in the back of his head thought Gibson was outside of him nearer the sideline and had made the cut upfield . Thomas heads further down the filed for his next block . But who knows ,.. It surely gets Thomas no points as a blocker .!!

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I can buy this --, however, I still can make the point ( not saying I'm right ! ) that Thomas who doesn't have eyes in the back of his head thought Gibson was outside of him nearer the sideline and had made the cut upfield . Thomas heads further down the filed for his next block . But who knows ,.. It surely gets Thomas no points as a blocker .!!

If Thomas's job was to make the pull block, then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that Sweat wasn't his problem (it's why I called out Christian there). Still, you would think he would think "I should block this guy in front of me" instead of jumping out of his way. The upfield block is all on Thomas though since he didn't really engage Slay at all, but ran right by him with an arm extended like that would do something.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:27 PM, Woz said:

He didn't miss that first block so much as dodge out of the way of making it. "Oh no, he's going to hit me!" is not what you like to see in your lead blocker.

They need to Sprinkle in some Jeremy in 1st downs to help with the running game and make Thomas more of an H-back on run downs.

Edited by turtle28