GDT: vs. Falcons - 09/20 @ 1:00pm -- Home Opener

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

It's not 5%, but even if it is, it's 50/50 that Dallas scores a TD pre-onside. Maybe 30%TD/60%FG/10% Turnover pre-onside. That's like 98% at worst. Under no circumstances should that be 99.9%. That is a HUGE difference statistically.

https://operations.nfl.com/stats-central/stats-articles/what-can-player-tracking-data-tell-us-about-the-onside-kick/

It was 6.1% in 2018 and has gone down each year. There were only two recoveries in 2019 through Thanksgiving. 

17 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Probably because he didn't do anything that I didn't expect

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/29963-gdt-vs-falcons-0920-100pm-home-opener/page/23/

Way back before the half on page 23 I posted this

"It's also a blowout, so there's no pressure right now, so I expect to see about 250 yards passing in the 2nd half"

So, true to form. Team gets buried, pressure is off, Defense relaxes, Dak puts up big numbers against a laid back/prevent/garbage time defense

The only thing that was miscalculated is THREE Falcons not knowing the rules and not jumping on the ball before letting it travel 10 yards

Any of them know how to play football and it's a 39-37 loss where Dak had huge numbers but played mediocre football for at least a half and into the 3rd quarter

In the end, Cooper made a huge catch, Gallup made the kind of catch on the kind of throw I have been screaming at Dak to attempt (Let your receivers make a play) for weeks

And it was the Falcons, Superbowl Aside, The Seahawks put up 38 against them last week. Our offense should be expected to do the same, at a  minimum

Do the coaches still suck? Is the defense still awful (remember the offense did give 5 turnovers) and the offense had a lot of short drives in the first half

But yet he still did it. You can't just discount the over 400 yards. Same argument with Romo as Dak (certainly not comparing the two--ROmo was certainly better). Point being like i said in an earlier post, Dak is by far the least of this teams problems. The dude hangs in there and one way or the other, more times than not, makes somethinghappen. Of course not always good. But it usually is positive. How many games can you actually attribute a loss to Dak specifically? 

And I actually failed to see Atlanta play prevent defense. They seemed to play their normal defense all game. Maybe I missed it. But 5 drives over 70 yards, you can't knock him for this game and try to take that away from him.

6 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Calm down old man. 😉😛

All i meant was, for me anyway, is I'm a realist. I try to stay even keeled and be realistic as possible. Is Dak our savoir, no. Is Dak a bottom half QB, certainly not. It's a team game. Not everyone realizes how diffuclut it is to play QB inthis league. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Does he have what it takes to win a SB, of course. So do countless other QB's. But it 's a team game. And it takes an incrediable amount of good fortune and several variables to come together at the right time to do it. Look at Philly, 2 years ago.

But I've been saying it for several years, as have a few others here. Dak is by far the least of our concerns overall as a team. 

listen, it's like your giving 50 cents to Dak's dollar.. 

4 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

But yet he still did it. You can't just discount the over 400 yards. Same argument with Romo as Dak (certainly not comparing the two--ROmo was certainly better). Point being like i said in an earlier post, Dak is by far the least of this teams problems. The dude hangs in there and one way or the other, more times than not, makes somethinghappen. Of course not always good. But it usually is positive. How many games can you actually attribute a loss to Dak specifically? 

And I actually failed to see Atlanta play prevent defense. They seemed to play their normal defense all game. Maybe I missed it. But 5 drives over 70 yards, you can't knock him for this game and try to take that away from him.

Not all 400 yard passing games are created equally. We all know that. That said, the issues today were on the defense. The o-line, by and large, played well enough to move forward with in the short term. But this defense is hot garbage.

19 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

listen, it's like your giving 50 cents to Dak's dollar.. 

How could you not like that reply? Besides the old man part. 

I would venture to say Dak would be in most peeps top10 list. Which would be good enough to win a SB. Which means....whatever flaws he may have, there are still countless other issues with this team holding him and the team as a whole, back.

Edited by HDsportsfan

Just now, HDsportsfan said:

How could you not like that reply? Besides the old man part. 

I would venture to say Dak would be in most peeps top10 list. Which would be good enough to win a SB. Which means....whatever flaws he may have, there are still countless other issues with this team holding him and them back.

because you hurt my feelings.. I am a wise OLD man!! 

11 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Not all 400 yard passing games are created equally. We all know that. That said, the issues today were on the defense. The o-line, by and large, played well enough to move forward with in the short term. But this defense is hot garbage.

No they're certainly not. Ha, yea....our defense has got to be in the bottom five at this point.

As well as, even tho a part of me does like a bit of the gambling, an argument can certainly be made coaching decisions haven't done us any favors either.

22 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Did the fact that they won make his first 2 1/2 quarters better in hindsight?

Was Dak playing Rope-A-Dope getting the Falcons right where he wanted them and then played his strategy out to perfection in the second half, right up to and including the onside kick and I just missed it?

Do we have the best coaches in the league?, making on the fly adjustments turning a 29-10 deficient in to a win? The same Kellen Moore everyone hated through 40 minutes all of a sudden called an offense good for nearly 600 yards and 40 points?

Or is it more likely the Falcons got complacent, laid off and in the end got burned?

The Falcons clearly were not rushing Dak as much in the second half as they were in the first half. He didn't see nearly as much pressure

I give him credit for continuing to play, albeit he was finally making the kinds of throws I've been clamoring for in the 3rd and 4th quarter, chucking it and trusting his WR's to make a play (but that's also my complaint, He only does that when he feels he has nothing to lose)

26 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

outta curiosity. What is the damage if we get out of the Jaylon/Amari contracts after next season?

After 2021? 

Cooper is $6m dead, but saves $16m.  He’s basically on a 2 yr deal imo. Of course Gallup could be pretty expensive by then too, so that may keep him around full term.
Smith is $6.8m dead and saves $5m. 2022 he becomes a more logical cut.