+'s and -'s post game thoughts

dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Who said Ifedi was going to be good at Guard?  

I did.   That’s who.

Again though.  Another failed OT who makes an outstanding or at least above average guard.  When are people going to learn?  It doesn’t always work, but it works a lot.  

Draft OTs because that’s where coaches at every lower level put their best O linemen.   When they fail at OT they still usually better than whoever you have at G.   

This has not shown to be doable at NFL level but yo could take it further ... Coaches actually they put their best O linemen on D line first and then O line.   So if you could find a way to switch D line to O line then that would be way to go.  But no one can figure it out because they have no farm teams or system to do it with.  And O line is highly skilled position.   

Same with many TEs.  Many lumbering college or HS TEs would make great O linemen.    Turn big WRs into TE.  Turn LBs to DL or Edge and safeties to LBs.   All would be possible with a farm system of some sort.

In fact Lou Holtz and Jimmy Johnson used to do exactly all of that when they dominated college football.    Where I got the idea.  Everyone copies everything that works in football, I don’t get why more coaches didn’t copy that.   

You know your OL, there's no doubt. Glad to be able to read your posts.

• Like 1

Mistakes were plenty in first.  This is from memory because I watched it hours ago now.  

I watched some of coaches tape.  MT and Daniels were at fault for blown QB sneak.  It wasn’t a ‘sneak’.  Both sides lined up for it and squared off.    It looks like Daniels was trying a sideways wedge/seal technique and he clearly wasn’t good at it or comfortable.  MT was really bad one though.  He was off balance from start with right leg up at snap.  The hole was obviously going to be to his right.  He had no balance or power to push forward.  He stayed straight up and down and wasn’t seeking the crease in defense.  Just awful on Mitch.   I put 90% of that on him and 10% on Daniels.   Maybe 98%.  Drive killer and a mistake you can’t have.   

Graham dropped a pass that would have at least meant a field goal and that was a drop.   Completely misjudged ball.  That was on Graham.  That was a good play by Mitch.   That put us in 3rd and 7.  Then Leno whiffed on his block next play and put us in 4 and 7 which we went for.

Then on 4th MT actually made the right read and the play was there to be had to convert, but he was inaccurate with the throw to Ginn.  He threw it behind him.    That play was on Mitch.  It could be he was on Tilt from drop and blown sneak and first game nerves.  It could be is just wildly inaccurate at times and that is not going to change.    

On a long run Roquan and DT switched spots just before ball was snapped.  Then Roquan ran into LOS.  Lions tripled the nose and sealed Roquan off with bodies.   Full back easily took care of DT and RB was off to races.

I will say that other than that Roquan made some really nice defensive plays early on.  DT was **** on a bull.  

How cool is it that O Line wasn't a poop show?

Coaching makes more difference on O line than any other position in my opinion.   

Coaching and QB play really effect an O line.  

So do TEs and FBs and RBs depending on play and scheme.   Football is great because it isn't nearly as cut and dry as other games or sports.  So many variables go into each thing from strategy to teaching to talent to managing people and injuries.  

On 9/15/2020 at 6:33 PM, dll2000 said:

Who said Ifedi was going to be good at Guard?  

I did.   That’s who.

Again though.  Another failed OT who makes an outstanding or at least above average guard.  When are people going to learn?  It doesn’t always work, but it works a lot.  

Draft OTs because that’s where coaches at every lower level put their best O linemen.   When they fail at OT they still usually better than whoever you have at G.   

This has not shown to be doable at NFL level but yo could take it further ... Coaches actually they put their best O linemen on D line first and then O line.   So if you could find a way to switch D line to O line then that would be way to go.  But no one can figure it out because they have no farm teams or system to do it with.  And O line is highly skilled position.   

Same with many TEs.  Many lumbering college or HS TEs would make great O linemen.    Turn big WRs into TE.  Turn LBs to DL or Edge and safeties to LBs.   All would be possible with a farm system of some sort.

In fact Lou Holtz and Jimmy Johnson used to do exactly all of that when they dominated college football.    Where I got the idea.  Everyone copies everything that works in football, I don’t get why more coaches didn’t copy that.   

That is exactly what Iowa does.  

44 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

that's one of the biggest reasons my cousin didn't commit to iowa. he's a 4-star TE, but was weary about getting potentially moved to OT, since chicks dig touchdowns. he's going to Texas instead, which worked out with the #1 recruit/qb in the country coming in the class after him

44 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

that's one of the biggest reasons my cousin didn't commit to iowa. he's a 4-star TE, but was weary about getting potentially moved to OT, since chicks dig touchdowns. he's going to Texas instead, which worked out with the #1 recruit/qb in the country coming in the class after him

Iowa has some hot women but I'm not sure they are on Texas' level

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Which is why Iowa has best O lines.  That and good coaching.  This stuff isn't secret.   People are just stupid or lazy about it.

They don't want to coach or project an athlete into a different position in which they can succeed at a higher level.   Too much work.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Well, he can make NFL first round OT money or NFL 5th round TE money.  See which one the chicks like more.

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

If he can play TE as a 4*, then he would stick at TE.  The TE pedigree at IA is almost as strong as the OL pedigree going back to Dallas Clark (a converted LB).   And IA has shown it doesnt matter how many good TEs they have, they will get them the ball.  As DL said below, if he cant play TE and hes a big body, Kirk would have made him an Outland Trophy Winner and a top 15 pick at OT.  That's what he does.  Riley Reiff you want to play TE, that's great, we're going to get you in the weight room and make you the best LT in the B1G.  AJ Derby you want to play QB?  How does TE sound instead?  

Watched some more tape more closely.  

Mitch really was up and down.  From terrible to amazing and back again and back again.   How does he do amazing things and not do easy things?  

I think the old OZ and boot action is good for MT’s natural skill set.  Nice call by Bears staff.  Unfortunately half the league is running that right now.  Going to make defenses really good at stopping it.  You like to be a little contrarian.    

I wasn’t kidding when I said resign or extend Ifedi.  He should be a priority yesterday.  He was outstanding.  Get him while he’s cheap.  

Leno was on the ground a lot.  A lot.  A lot.  Some of it was badly attempted cut blocks and some of it was just falling from being completely off balance.  He have an inner ear infection or what?

But for Leno’s poor blocks Bears probably gain another 80 yards of offense.  

Daniels was night and day better than last year.  Still got bullied at times though.  

Line as a whole was night and day from last year.  

Trevathan was awful, but everyone has seen that now.   Then Woods has personal issues and is out?  What terrible timing for him.  You are a mid round pick and Guy in front of you has worst game of his career and you are out with personal issues.   I hope its because someone in his family is sick and not because he is being dumb.

Mooney had himself a really nice debut.  Honestly the last juke on the sideline before stepping out of bounds was impressive because he avoided any kind of hit.  That is important for him because he is like 90 lbs.

If I am coach of this team Leno and Trevathan’s back ups are getting a serious look in practice this week  at very least to send a message and if they play better they go.   I play the best players regardless of name on the jersey or even their contract.   Nagy doesn’t seem to have that philosophy though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Watched some more tape more closely.  

Mitch really was up and down.  From terrible to amazing and back again and back again.   How does he do amazing things and not do easy things?  

I think the old OZ and boot action is good for MT’s natural skill set.  Nice call by Bears staff.  Unfortunately half the league is running that right now.  Going to make defenses really good at stopping it.  You like to be a little contrarian.    

I wasn’t kidding when I said resign or extend Ifedi.  He should be a priority yesterday.  He was outstanding.  Get him while he’s cheap.  

Leno was on the ground a lot.  A lot.  A lot.  Some of it was badly attempted cut blocks and some of it was just falling from being completely off balance.  He have an inner ear infection or what?

But for Leno’s poor blocks Bears probably gain another 80 yards of offense.  

Daniels was night and day better than last year.  Still got bullied at times though.  

Line as a whole was night and day from last year.  

Trevathan was awful, but everyone has seen that now.   Then Woods has personal issues and is out?  What terrible timing for him.  You are a mid round pick and Guy in front of you has worst game of his career and you are out with personal issues.   I hope its because someone in his family is sick and not because he is being dumb.

Mooney had himself a really nice debut.  Honestly the last juke on the sideline before stepping out of bounds was impressive because he avoided any kind of hit.  That is important for him because he is like 90 lbs.

If I am coach of this team Leno and Trevathan’s back ups are getting a serious look in practice this week  at very least to send a message and if they play better they go.   I play the best players regardless of name on the jersey or even their contract.   Nagy doesn’t seem to have that philosophy though.

Bears didn't take Woods in the middle of the draft, but your point is well taken anyway. When I saw Bond was moved up from the PS, I assumed they were giving Trevathan the Kyle Long treatment. Of course I would've been surprised after just 1 game, but as it turns out, Woods has a problem. If there's an injury, who fills in? Iggy?

Whhaattt I remember alot of conversations where I was alone the Ifedi thing haha. I legit was made fun of.

My basic logic of a starter just simply not getting their option picked up was crazy scoffed at.

Anyway, Im just glad it worked out, this will be my only told you so post haha.

I also called Miller and Graham for a big year.....we'll see if they keep it up.

In general I was optimistic about this year, I dont like the DL without Goldman. I wasnt big on the Quinn signing, I generally dont like players who have career years in contract years even though I was wrong about Kyle Fuller.