2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I didn't hate the missed penalty because it was against the Bengals so it was probably just a missed call. When you get a bunch of them in games against the darlings of the NFL then it angers me because it feels like you have to destroy the opposition to stand a chance of winning. I figured it would be called pretty equally against the Bengals and I think it was.

I just think there are some penalties that are pretty obvious and shouldn’t be missed. In this case the ref was running right along side them and he was pulling on the jersey which gives a pretty clear visual.

I understand missing a hooked arm if the ref doesn’t have the right angle, but that was plain as day from pretty much any angle and you didn’t need to be close to see it.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just think there are some penalties that are pretty obvious and shouldn’t be missed. In this case the ref was running right along side them and he was pulling on the jersey which gives a pretty clear visual.

I understand missing a hooked arm if the ref doesn’t have the right angle, but that was plain as day from pretty much any angle and you didn’t need to be close to see it.

There was a lot of positioning between both players going down the field though so he could have flagged either before the tug. Maybe he just decided to let it play out instead of throwing the flag and having offsetting penalties.

He probably just missed it though. I can deal with it since it seems like he just missed it. Of course you shouldn't miss something obvious but it happens a lot in all sports.

• Like 1

I noticed, I think it was on the OBJ TD, that he did an awesome job reading the incoming blitz pre-snap and redirecting the OL so that they could pick it up.

I really think Mayfield can be special in a few years. We just need to be patient and let he and Stefanski grow together.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FGK said:

I noticed, I think it was on the OBJ TD, that he did an awesome job reading the incoming blitz pre-snap and redirecting the OL so that they could pick it up.

I really think Mayfield can be special in a few years. We just need to be patient and let he and Stefanski grow together.

Yeah he is still learning that is for sure. I'm sure his progression has been stunted a bit compared to if he could have just been in one system but overall he will have learned more this way and it will probably help him later in his career but he is just further from perfecting what he needs in the system he is currently in. I've never lost confidence that he would get there and be a top 5ish QB in the league. I have started to get concerned that the fans will try to run him out of town before then, which ownership may react on.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, FGK said:

How dare you ask for patience with a young QB that has had more coaches than people to throw to?

I hope we let Stefanski and Baker work and dont do anything stupid.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

He sure doesnt have any problem throwing on the run, its just everytime he sits in the pocket he does the whole thing where he sails the ball

IDK if its a footwork thing or what but he NEEDs to get the ball down. I feel like every throw he incompleted is because he sails it high and tips off the WRs hands resulting in many many INTs

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK if its a footwork thing or what but he NEEDs to get the ball down. I feel like every throw he incompleted is because he sails it high and tips off the WRs hands resulting in many many INTs

Maybe in part because he has to throw over DLinemen?

Just now, bruceb said:

Maybe in part because he has to throw over DLinemen?

maybe its because he cant find passing lanes between the linemen like Brees/Wilson do so everything is high over the DL. I have no idea, but for this team to succeed longterm he has to get better from the pocket. Im not asking for him to be Drew Brees, but he at least needs to be average from there