2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

Back to back weeks of turnover free football! Hopefully Stefanski continues to treat him with kid gloves, rebuild him, and then he's able to get to the point of where he can be "turned loose" the back half of the season. He still wants to escape the pocket too much instead of stepping up/climbing up and navigating pressure, but I'm extremely pleased the last 3 games aside from 1 awful decision late against Cincinnati.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Back to back weeks of turnover free football! Hopefully Stefanski continues to treat him with kid gloves, rebuild him, and then he's able to get to the point of where he can be "turned loose" the back half of the season. He still wants to escape the pocket too much instead of stepping up/climbing up and navigating pressure, but I'm extremely pleased the last 3 games aside from 1 awful decision late against Cincinnati.

Yeah it’s pretty clear Stefanski’s starting him with the basics and working up from there.

Easy reads, safe throw, don’t ask him to win with his arm, just play safe football.  As he learns the offense and develops more confidence (which imo was an issue whether would admit it or not), let him do more.

Even the reverse pass did this.  If Jarvis throws a pick, no one cares.  It’s not like it’s going to kill Jarvis’s confidence for the next drive.  It protects Baker while getting both WR’s involved early.  Great play call.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s pretty clear Stefanski’s starting him with the basics and working up from there.

Easy reads, safe throw, don’t ask him to win with his arm, just play safe football.  As he learns the offense and develops more confidence (which imo was an issue whether would admit it or not), let him do more.

Even the reverse pass did this.  If Jarvis throws a pick, no one cares.  It’s not like it’s going to kill Jarvis’s confidence for the next drive.  It protects Baker while getting both WR’s involved early.  Great play call.

This. Stefanski was brilliant on how he utilized Jarvis and OBJ yesterday.

Like MWil said, I think we might see Baker turned loose a bit more towards the end of the season once Baker is more acclimated with the offense.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

This. Stefanski was brilliant on how he utilized Jarvis and OBJ yesterday.

Like MWil said, I think we might see Baker turned loose a bit more towards the end of the season once Baker is more acclimated with the offense.

If he’s ready for that, sure, if not just let him keep developing and hope he takes another step forward year 2.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I want to see what happens when the offense as a whole struggles in a important game and we need Baker to make a big time pass.

Same. He’s been put in an advantageous position all season after game 1. Obviously, that’s a good thing, Stefanski has called an A+ game and the running game has been awesome. He hasn’t had to drop back and air it out yet though, with the defense not on their heels. I can’t get last year out of my head until I see some success there. Regardless, I’m obviously happy with the way things are going this season and the balance we have had. Just anxious to see what we have at QB when the running attack gets stifled one of these weeks. 

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Same. He’s been put in an advantageous position all season after game 1. Obviously, that’s a good thing, Stefanski has called an A+ game and the running game has been awesome. He hasn’t had to drop back and air it out yet though, with the defense not on their heels. I can’t get last year out of my head until I see some success there. Regardless, I’m obviously happy with the way things are going this season and the balance we have had. Just anxious to see what we have at QB when the running attack gets stifled one of these weeks. 

Well that may happen today, we'll see. We're averaging 2 passing TD and 2 rushing TD per game. We've thrown 2 picks and lost 2 fumbles. We've dropped back to pass 130 times and lined up to run 131 times. We're as balanced as it get. It isn't like we haven't used our passing game, we've even used it to get the first couple scores on the board at times and finished with the rushing attack.I think it will be fine as long as it is an under control uptempo attack to create offense.

If it is a 5/7 step drop like last year waiting for receivers to come open we're in trouble. He isn't ready for that, takes too many gambles for the big play. If it's 2 quick options and a checkdown he can light it up.I expect Stefanski knows that too.

• Like 1