2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

On 10/13/2020 at 11:27 PM, buno67 said:

ah so baker is only good because of good coaching/coaching knowing how to use the QB and the talent...

He's not good. That's the disconnect.

23 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

To win in spite of someone means they are a negative. 

Doesn't have to mean that.

Clearly this staff is leaning on the offense's strengths and that's not Baker's passing ability right now.... despite a decent Indy first half.

He's still young and has room for improvement, of course, but if he doesn't.....if he can't win a big game with his arm...(like this Sunday) or at least prove he can be a reliable manager...they're definitely going to start looking for someone better. Not saying that's the near future but it's not impossible based on how this season goes.

Edited by BrownLeader

7 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

He's not good. That's the disconnect.

what we had from the time after Couch and before Mayfied, except for the lone '07 Anderson year, that was no good/bad QB play. Baker is not playing like those QBs. How the hell cant ppl realized how many bad habits Baker formed under Freddie/Lindley. if Ryan Lindley was a good coach, he wouldnt be an offensive analyst at Utah. That is a major major demotion for someone who was an NFL QB unless they were just a complete garbage coach. Hell, we all wrote off Bob Wylie  last year, I know I did, when he made the comments that Zampese was the true brains behind the offense Baker's rookie year. Season plays out and we find out Wylie wasnt a disgruntled fired employee but just speaking the truth. I dont know, how about we actually see what Baker can do with a major upgrade in the coaching staff for 1-2 seasons. @MWil23 has been prolly the 2nd biggest Baker hater, right behind Bruce, but he has even admitted that he has seen growth and development from baker and shows that he should get better and better under stef, how high that ceiling is, were not sure but we would find it before he deserves his contract extension. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, buno67 said:

@MWil23 has been prolly the 2nd biggest Baker hater, right behind Bruce, but he has even admitted that he has seen growth and development from baker and shows that he should get better and better under stef, how high that ceiling is, were not sure but we would find it before he deserves his contract extension. 

Absolutely.

Last year I saw a regressed, disinterested, out of shape, complacent, inaccurate, turnover prone 24 year old QB who wouldn't stand in the pocket, double clutched all over the place, and couldn't read a defense.

This year, I see a guy who is playing well within the scheme, showing a lot of accurate/zip on his throws, who is able to get to his 3rd progression, who throws in rhythm, who navigates the pocket better, and who still needs to work on turning the ball over less and not missing high downfield.

He's shown enough progression 5 weeks into 2020 to be optimistic about his abilities going forward, and the next 11 games will be very instrumental and telling in his overall growth.

I believe that he's shown that his floor is a LOT higher than I thought it was (a 10 year NFL starter for a bad to average team like Cutler, Testaverde, etc.) and we aren't yet sure what his ceiling is/will be.

Stef has been extremely smart to bring him along slowly, get him into the flow of games with designed boots, providing him checkdowns, and relying on our dominant running game. If Baker ever gets to the point where the 1st half of last game is the norm...look out everyone else, this offense is for real.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Stef has been extremely smart to bring him along slowly, get him into the flow of games with designed boots, providing him checkdowns, and relying on our dominant running game. If Baker ever gets to the point where the 1st half of last game is the norm...look out everyone else, this offense is for real.

And we have to remember that this is coming off of the Covid offseason. So this week would've been our first real game in a normal season (four preseason games). It's certainly NOT guaranteed that Baker and the offense continue to progress. But it seems more likely than not considering the circumstances, and that is exciting.

13 minutes ago, FGK said:

And we have to remember that this is coming off of the Covid offseason. So this week would've been our first real game in a normal season (four preseason games). It's certainly NOT guaranteed that Baker and the offense continue to progress. But it seems more likely than not considering the circumstances, and that is exciting.

Put me firmly in the "cautiously optimistic" category, in which I am fully aware that he's getting the early "Mark Sanchez" treatment, while I believe that he's more likely to be in the "above average" tier with his floor...and potentially maybe better. 

Honestly, if Baker turns into prime Alex Smith I'll be pretty happy. Smith played in the NFC title game and constantly led teams into the playoffs. Now is that ideal? No, you want your #1 overall QB to play like an MVP, but if the team has sustained success and stability and we revitalize this franchise for a whole new generation of fans, that's an awesome consolation prize, imo.

He hasn't made drastic improvements to his game. The scheme, play-calling and the emergence of the best run blocking OL in the league, behind two of the best RBs in the league, has allowed him to passenger this success. I totally agree he's not as flat out terrible as guys we've had in the past but he's for sure being schemed around.

For this front office and staff, this week's game is going to weigh more heavily to his evaluation looking forward than any other he's played yet in Cleveland. so fingers crossed

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

He hasn't made drastic improvements to his game. The scheme, play-calling and the emergence of the best run blocking OL in the league, behind two of the best RBs in the league, has allowed him to passenger this success. I totally agree he's not as flat out terrible as guys we've had in the past but he's for sure being schemed around.

For this front office and staff, this week's game is going to weigh more heavily to his evaluation looking forward than any other he's played yet in Cleveland. so fingers crossed

He’s a Alex Smith type of QB.

15 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

For the love of god how the F are you using scheme and play calling against him? Last year was a let down cause Of those things and now he can’t be good or showing improvement cause of those things. 

Every good QB needs the right scheme and play calling...can you please name a QB who has been successful in the NFL even tho they were in a horrible scheme and paired with a bad play caller...I’ll wait.

is this Bruce’s secondary account or something 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDD said:

Baker is way better than Alex Smith. I'd say Smith is his floor, which I think he has already shown is better than that.

As far as arm talent, no doubt. Smith was obviously more athletic.

Baker has the tools to be a top 5 QB for a long time which is why I want to keep him. Yes he needs to do better at not throwing the ball where a man comes off of his guy or sneaks into the zone to make a play on the ball but that will happen. He also needs to trust the pocket more but that's a work in progress and he got beat up pretty good last week doing that so instincts are going to say to run away from the pressure.

Once the pass pro gels (Wills) I think we see that start to happen more. He isn't a stand in the pocket for 5 second QB anyway, that isn't where he has rhythm.

Let me give you guys advance statistics. 

Baker 4 games in a row 30 points or better. 

Not even Brian sipe and Bernie did that ever. 

2 1000 yard receiver

Again Bernie never did that and sipe

Career games above 125 qb rating

Baker will shatter that record before his 2nd contract 

How you come you guys leave out these stats