2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

It was a pitiful game all around, this team seemed outmatched and not ready for the moment. Baker included. I didn’t think the game was called the best, and the offensive line got beaten virtually every play. Baker looked like last year’s Baker. He was locked  on, had sloppy footwork, and he seemed to be guessing what the defense was doing on every play, with his mind made up where it was going. That was vintage 2019. I’m not putting it all on him by any means or giving up like some but we need to see him start carrying us and looking better back there more than he is if we’re going to build on him behind center. Can’t just rely on the running game to set up successful passing every week.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

A significant portion of this forum is tedious as hell.

Baker has a good game: “well, it’s just one game, let’s see how the rest of the season goes.”

Baker has a bad game: “welp, I’ve seen all I need to see, time to draft a QB again.”

Whew lads, we’re not gonna be drafting a new qb mid season, maybe we just let the season play out and see where things stand then?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A significant portion of this forum is tedious as hell.

Baker has a good game: “well, it’s just one game, let’s see how the rest of the season goes.”

Baker has a bad game: “welp, I’ve seen all I need to see, time to draft a QB again.”

Whew lads, we’re not gonna be drafting a new qb mid season, maybe we just let the season play out and see where things stand then?

I admit I'm 100% the teeter totter here on the overreaction end. That said, until he starts showing up against quality opponents, which he has consistently failed to do, he's not the guy. He's not even a backup QB caliber against Pitt/Balt the last season and a half. I'm obviously giving him the rest of 2020, because the alternative is Case Keenum, who has done whatever he's going to do in his career in the NFL, but if I don't see marked improvement against these teams, then Baker's probably maxed out at this level. The dude can't read an overload blitz and call a hot route. That's something we expect from our JV QB's here at the HS level, and that's not a joke. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I admit I'm 100% the teeter totter here on the overreaction end. That said, until he starts showing up against quality opponents, which he has consistently failed to do, he's not the guy. He's not even a backup QB caliber against Pitt/Balt the last season and a half. I'm obviously giving him the rest of 2020, because the alternative is Case Keenum, who has done whatever he's going to do in his career in the NFL, but if I don't see marked improvement against these teams, then Baker's probably maxed out at this level. The dude can't read an overload blitz and call a hot route. That's something we expect from our JV QB's here at the HS level, and that's not a joke. 

Fair enough,  it as I pointed out, finding someone better is easily done on a forum, but not so much irl, as we’ve seen for 2 decades.

Baker isn’t and will never be Mahomes, no question.  But is he capable of being good enough to allow us to stabilize things? I think so.

As bad as Baker was yesterday, our all world OL had their arses handed to them all game. In his first 10 attempts he was pressured/hit/sacked like 6 times.  No QB makes that work. There were times Baker made the situation worse, but there were also times there was simply nowhere to go with the ball.

Anyway, weren’t not an elite team.  We’re maybe a fringe playoff team that is clearly a step (or two) down from the top teams.  That said, we’re 4-2 with a good shot at 5-2 while missing a good bit of talent.  After the last 2 decades, I’m not in a huge hurry to make huge changes.

Another thing with Baker is despite having good offensive talent, he’s essentially being asked to win every game via shootout.

The defense has allowed 31 PPG (30th in the league). The two losses are against the leagues two best defenses based upon PPG.  We are incapable of playing a defense/field position game and hoping for one or two big plays.  FG’s won’t win us a game.

Baker is being asked to play elite defenses and score 35 PPG or we lose.  And when the offense sputters, which every offense does, he’s being thrown under the bus.  Like, when is the defense going to be held accountable?  

We have 3 defensive “keepers” (Myles, Ward and Larry) and a bunch of projects and stopgaps.  This is priority A, B and C imo.  Mix in some mid/late round guys on the offense to develop, but we need defensive talent in a bad way.

26 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The offense is designed to be "Baker proof" and Baker still found a way to mess that up.

Is it wild to think that the QB is going to have some bad games throughout a season?  

Baltimore and Pitt are the league’s two best defenses as far as PPG.  The colts are solid too. It’s not like bad teams are having their way with him.

He’s gonna have another game like yesterday most likely.  Definitely gonna have some mediocre ones too.  I’m guessing he’ll have a few more good ones as well.  

The expectation of him playing well every week is unobtainable.  The difference is we don’t have a defense that can bail him out like other QB’s do.

I don't expect Baker to play "very well" every week. I expect him to not be terrible. The kid can't read an overload blitz and is nothing short of awful under pressure. He has the OL and weapons. While the OL didn't play well yesterday, when you send an extra guy, that's on the QB to have that throw out to a hot read on time and in rhythm. It's not like we couldn't block an EDGE 1 on 1 with an OT yesterday.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is it wild to think that the QB is going to have some bad games throughout a season?  

Baltimore and Pitt are the league’s two best defenses as far as PPG.  The colts are solid too. It’s not like bad teams are having their way with him.

He’s gonna have another game like yesterday most likely.  Definitely gonna have some mediocre ones too.  I’m guessing he’ll have a few more good ones as well.  

The expectation of him playing well every week is unobtainable.  The difference is we don’t have a defense that can bail him out like other QB’s do.

My only issues/frustration is at one point does he have a good game vs a good team? And I think is pretty fair to ask 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker vs. Baltimore and Pitt combined:

31-57, 54% completion rate, 308 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 6 sacks, 59.9 QB Rating

...and I won't even factor in the last 2 quarters of the Colts game either.

Those are "unemployed" QB numbers.

Those are literally the two best defenses in the NFL at this moment.

What do the numbers for our defense and Ol look like in those games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The offense is designed to be "Baker proof" and Baker still found a way to mess that up.

Yeah it is designed to be baker proof. so shouldn’t that mean the OL shouldn’t have gotten their arses handed to them, means OBJ and Jarvis should have been running free all Game. 

I would agree with this statement if they weren’t completely out coached as well as out player. 

• Like 1