2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Those are literally the two best defenses in the NFL at this moment.

What do the numbers for our defense and Ol look like in those games?

*Checks notes*

OL vs. Baltimore wasn't great or bad. Defense atrocious.

OL vs. Pitt and Defense bad, but it was 3-0 and we forced back to back 3 and outs when Baker threw a pick 6, so it's hard to fault them completely.

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah it is designed to be baker proof. so shouldn’t that mean the OL shouldn’t have gotten their arses handed to them, means OBJ and Jarvis should have been running free all Game. 

I would agree with this statement if they weren’t completely out coached as well as out player. 

Yeah that may be the game plan, but they sure as hell didn’t execute it.

13 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Give the guy a break. There’s gonna be a handful of games like this a year. He’s not Mahomes but he’s a good leader and has a solid arm. If the run game can bring us double digit wins, who cares... I’m in.

IDK if I can get behind that man....for 2 years now we have all been making excuses for Baker whenever he has bad games or stretches. Maybe we need to accept that this might just be who he is. We gave him a pass for coaching, we gave him a pass for surrounding talent, we gave him a pass for tipped pass interceptions, ect ect.

I honestly just think all of the negatives against him as a prospect are proving to be massive holes. His height IS a huge problem. He cant see over the line, he gets tons of passes batted down at the line. His athletisism is a problem because he needs to get out of the move to be able to throw, however he is not athletic enough to outrun defenders like Wilson, Murray, Jackson to make plays with his legs.

Somehow his BIGGEST attribute, passing accuracy, has somehow become nonexistent. He doesnt have super accurate consistent ball placement. He sails EVERYTHING. I think last year was so bad that it may have broke him.

At this point, I dont think he can be anything more than a Case Keenum type of QB. A guy that can come in and get it done a few times but not somebody you want as your longterm starter.
Even in the games we won this year (outside of CIN) Baker didnt look incredibly exceptional. Its almost like the defenses and running game won and Baker didnt screw it up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker vs. Baltimore and Pitt combined:

31-57, 54% completion rate, 308 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 6 sacks, 59.9 QB Rating

...and I won't even factor in the last 2 quarters of the Colts game either.

Those are "unemployed" QB numbers.

Those numbers look like a QB who just went up against two of the best teams in the league and two of the best defenses in the league. Just saw a stat. The Steelers have recorded at least 3 sacks and 1 INT in each game so far

Now if Baker does that vs both New York teams or something like that next week vs Cincy. The teams we should beat. Bandwagon is going to look pretty bare. 

so far we have beaten the teams we should have and beaten the teams that were toss ups going into the season. Did anyone predict that the browns would beat the Ravens or Steelers on the road before the season. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Checks notes*

OL vs. Baltimore wasn't great or bad. Defense atrocious.

OL vs. Pitt and Defense bad, but it was 3-0 and we forced back to back 3 and outs when Baker threw a pick 6, so it's hard to fault them completely.

Pittsburgh took some time to get warmed up, but pulled back the reigns when they got ahead.  Could have scored 30 easily.

i get your frustration as well, but it’s hard to point to the QB as the primary issue when we allow 30-40 PPG.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pittsburgh took some time to get warmed up, but pulled back the reigns when they got ahead.  Could have scored 30 easily.

i get your frustration as well, but it’s hard to point to the QB as the primary issue when we allow 30-40 PPG.

I’m not blaming only him. This is the Baker thread though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not blaming only him. This is the Baker thread though.

I get that, but how those other positions play impacts the QB.

If we had a great defense and Baker could just hand the ball off, how much different does his stat line look? Instead of needing him to make big throws, he can just hand it off on 3rd and 9 and punt and play Jim Tressel football, like, even occasionally.

He’s being forced to put up 30+ to win and he’s simply not there yet.  Not many guys are tbh.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If we had a great defense and Baker could just hand the ball off, how much different does his stat line look? Instead of needing him to make big throws, he can just hand it off on 3rd and 9 and punt and play Jim Tressel football, like, even occasionally.

He’s being forced to put up 30+ to win and he’s simply not there yet.  Not many guys are tbh.

The other team scoring 30+ was a direct result of how bad the offense was though. He threw a pick 6 and had another INT as well. Also not being able to generate 1st downs and punting all the time gave the Steelers great field position the majority of the game as well and the defense was out of the field FAR too long. How bad the defense looked could be attributed to the lack of offense.

When your going 3 and out or throwing interceptions every possession it deflates the entire team.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He was drafted #1 overall to do exactly this....

Edited by MSURacerDT55

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The other team scoring 30+ was a direct result of how bad the offense was though. He threw a pick 6 and had another INT as well.

yesterday?  Sure.  How about the previous 5 games?

Also not being able to generate 1st downs and punting all the time gave the Steelers great field position the majority of the game as well and the defense was out of the field FAR too long. How bad the defense looked could be attributed to the lack of offense.

the offense, or Baker?  Or are they one and the same?  Why not just had it off and run the ball if he’s the only issue?  Let our monster OL and back run it down their throats.  Or did they get abused too?

When your going 3 and out or throwing interceptions every possession it deflates the entire team.

See above.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So we just keep drafting guys until we get a hall of famer?

The fact that he’s not going to be a John Elway doesn’t mean he’s a complete failure or in need of being replaced.

Not at all, but at some point we need to look ourselves in the mirror and realize he isn't what we all have been hyping him up to be. Listen to ourselves, we are striving for him to be Captain Average.

Perfect scenario, we play out the season with Baker and we make the playoffs and get an official look at him under playoff pressure and make our decision moving forward after, but he doesn't and hasn't made a very good case form himself with a FO who didn't draft him. But hey, he could catch fire and do the improbable and win a playoff game and we have a totally different conversation but that's highly unlikely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not at all, but at some point we need to look ourselves in the mirror and realize he isn't what we all have been hyping him up to be. Listen to ourselves, we are striving for him to be Captain Average.

I mean, I think he’s fairly average now.  Good arm talent, poor mechanics leading to accuracy issues, and problems with reading defenses that could very possibly be linked to a lack of familiarity with the scheme (or continuity in any scheme really).

Perfect scenario, we play out the season with Baker and we make the playoffs and get an official look at him under playoff pressure and make our decision moving forward after, but he doesn't and hasn't made a very good case form himself with a FO who didn't draft him. But hey, he could catch fire and do the improbable and win a playoff game and we have a totally different conversation but that's highly unlikely.

What if he improves in year two of the same system?  I mean, we’re ready to cut bait on a QB with first overall ability despite saddling him with 4 HC’s in 40 games.

Like at some point the organization needs to understand its role in his inconsistency and take steps to fix that, even if it’s to help the next guy.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get the frustration, but I don’t think his performance was any worse than anyone else on the offensive side of the ball yesterday.

I think this is the point no one wants to recognize. Our rookie HC got outcoached by a vet HC with a HOF QB and great defense. 

Baker played bad, it happens. Even great QB's have bad days. Doesn't mean they suck or they won't get better. Seems like teams who can run the ball are able to keep their young QB upright and usually hide their issues. That is what happened weeks 2-5. Week 1 and 6 we weren't able to do that. 

You are fighting a losing battle, but making good points. If you hated Baker (or were not a fan of his) yesterday proved your point. If you thought he had talent and might be a good QB yesterday didn't really change much. 

• Like 1