2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

10 minutes ago, JDD said:

I think this is the point no one wants to recognize. Our rookie HC got outcoached by a vet HC with a HOF QB and great defense. 

Baker played bad, it happens. Even great QB's have bad days. Doesn't mean they suck or they won't get better. Seems like teams who can run the ball are able to keep their young QB upright and usually hide their issues. That is what happened weeks 2-5. Week 1 and 6 we weren't able to do that. 

You are fighting a losing battle, but making good points. If you hated Baker (or were not a fan of his) yesterday proved your point. If you thought he had talent and might be a good QB yesterday didn't really change much. 

Problem is we have yet to see Baker be able to step up and win a tough game with his arm. Not just riding the back of the RBs. When the Browns NEED a scoring drive, Baker 9/10 has not delivered. We dont play to be 8-8, we have the talent and should be competing for the playoffs. If we want to do that, Baker in his 3rd year needs to perform when the Browns need it. I havent seen him deliver on any sort of consistent basis since 2018.

We are a loooooong way from that Jets Thursday night game and I dont think its out of the question to say that he has regressed once defenses had a scouting report on him.

I dont think its too much to ask of the #1 overall pick in his 3rd year starting. He no longer has the benefit of 'oh well hes just young', hes a 25 year old 3 year starter. Time to start showing consistent improvement and cut the BS excuses for poor play like....uhhhhh.....Josh Allen has.

He needs to be Cincinatti game Baker Mayfield 8 games out of 10, not 1 game out of 6.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I guess my question to the move on from baker crowd is what is your solution, who is the replacement..... we’re all bit assured without an epically historic collapse and historic runs by several teams or an rg3 type deal to have no chance at Trevor Lawrence or Josh Fields Or Trey Lance for that matter. So let’s do this I’m a CEO and I’m looking to look at hiring a new firm to handle a huge new ad campaign that is going to revolutionize my company and I’m not happy with my previous firm.... sell me on who is a realistic option to replace baker

7 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I guess my question to the move on from baker crowd is what is your solution, who is the replacement..... we’re all bit assured without an epically historic collapse and historic runs by several teams or an rg3 type deal to have no chance at Trevor Lawrence or Josh Fields Or Trey Lance for that matter. So let’s do this I’m a CEO and I’m looking to look at hiring a new firm to handle a huge new ad campaign that is going to revolutionize my company and I’m not happy with my previous firm.... sell me on who is a realistic option to replace baker

I would say roll the dice 1 more year after this one. I am giving him ALL of the benefit of the doubt considering the draft pick we spent on him and flashes he has shown. Problem is, I wouldnt be giving him a long leash at ALL. 

Draft position doesnt matter. Good teams find their QB no matter where they are picking in the draft. KC traded up for Mahommes, Philly with Wentz, Jackson with BAL, ect.

Its about identifying a QB who has the traits to run the system you want and going and getting him. Im giving Baker 1.5 more seasons to figure out if he is that guy or not

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 minutes ago, JDD said:

I think this is the point no one wants to recognize. Our rookie HC got outcoached by a vet HC with a HOF QB and great defense. 

Baker played bad, it happens. Even great QB's have bad days. Doesn't mean they suck or they won't get better. Seems like teams who can run the ball are able to keep their young QB upright and usually hide their issues. That is what happened weeks 2-5. Week 1 and 6 we weren't able to do that. 

You are fighting a losing battle, but making good points. If you hated Baker (or were not a fan of his) yesterday proved your point. If you thought he had talent and might be a good QB yesterday didn't really change much. 

Yeah even great QBs have bad days. Look at big Ben, I think he started 2-8. He prolly should have had a pick 6 in that first drive and another INT the following drive. Steelers had a game plan of motion a guy across, having the RB running across faking PA after the snap, and Big Ben throwing backside quick. They did that 2-3x. Didnt work for anything. Big Ben was looking real bad. What did the Steelers do, the immediately changed up their game plan and Ben like like 7-7 or 8-8 and never looked back.

Romo even said it on the telecast. the Steelers are run blitzing the zone scheme. It works great if its a run or pass because if you knife through just right you are going to get the ball carrier from behind. If its a pass, there are going to get pressure up the middle. Romo said if they are going to run blitz their inside guys like that, you gotta stop trying to go East and West and start going North and South. When we started to run some north and south concepts, Hunt was ripping at least 4-6 yards but Stef kept going back to the outside zone, instead of mixing in inside zone. Want to pressure the outside, mix in a jet sweep or two. You do that and you will get the defense thinking about the motion across the formation and you are creating easy touches for OBJ. Also add in the fact he tried to make Baker a pocket passer from the beginning was a dumb idea. Should have had him moving the pocket to create confidence and to complete some early passes. He didnt want to do that. Hell you do that, a few times and you will force the Steelers to stay home back side because the boot/roll out action. Maybe that hells the back side pursuit on the stretch/zone plays.  Also if your doing that and they want to run blitz, well now Hooper has a vacated spot over the middle.

Baker was over his head but so was stef. I give him a pass for the Ravens game but he looked real bad yesterday as the playcaller  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

They think it's as simple as saying just sign Dak to a mega contract, which there's a couple of problems with.

1. I highly doubt Dallas lets him go.

2. Even if they do let him go, there will likely be numerous teams wanting to sign him. What makes anyone think he'd want to come here?

The only other possible QB that might hit the market AND who you could say would be a definite upgrade would be Matt Ryan, but who knows if the Falcons are willing to trade him? I think the only chance that happens is if they land Lawrence or Fields and decide to just completely rebuild with them.

9 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Lawrance and Fields, yes. Lance, way to big of a question mark since he will only have one season under his belt, where being small school, I would want more of a sample size.

There is no chance to get Lawrence, who ever lands that #1 pick is going to need the #1 spot. I think Fields could be nasty in this offense. I cant wait to see what he does this season. The price to move up might be too much tho this year but if they deem those guys as the next QB, then you gotta get them. If they think that guy is the guy, get him.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

They think it's as simple as saying just sign Dak to a mega contract, which there's a couple of problems with.

1. I highly doubt Dallas lets him go.

2. Even if they do let him go, there will likely be numerous teams wanting to sign him. What makes anyone think he'd want to come here?

The only other possible QB that might hit the market AND who you could say would be a definite upgrade would be Matt Ryan, but who knows if the Falcons are willing to trade him? I think the only chance that happens is if they land Lawrence or Fields and decide to just completely rebuild with them.

I wouldnt mind signing Ryan for a 2-3 year Jake Delhomme type of guy and drafting a raw prospect to build behind him in the 2nd or 3rd round. This roster is ready to compete now, its not still rebuilding. Ryan could be that guy who could play well enough to deliver short term while whoever they draft sitting the bench learning sort of like a current Rodgers/Love situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wouldnt mind signing Ryan for a 2-3 year Jake Delhomme type of guy and drafting a raw prospect to build behind him in the 2nd or 3rd round. This roster is ready to compete now, its not still rebuilding. Ryan could be that guy who could play well enough to deliver short term while whoever they draft sitting the bench learning sort of like a current Rodgers/Love situation.

Ryan isn't going to be a free agent, though. We'd have to trade for him, and I doubt ATL will trade him unless they're able to land Lawrence or Fields.

Trust me, if Baker doesn't show much improvement the rest of the way, I'd be all for trading a second and maybe more for Ryan. He's 35, so it's anyone's guess as to how much longer he'll be playing at a high level.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Ryan isn't going to be a free agent, though. We'd have to trade for him, and I doubt ATL will trade him unless they're able to land Lawrence or Fields.

Trust me, if Baker doesn't show much improvement the rest of the way, I'd be all for trading a second and maybe more for Ryan. He's 35, so it's anyone's guess as to how much longer he'll be playing at a high level.

Now that I think about it I dont know how Ryan at 35 would operate this offense considering his mobility. I honestly think a guy like Fitzpatrick would be a veteran who might be a better fit.

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Now that I think about it I dont know how Ryan at 35 would operate this offense considering his mobility. I honestly think a guy like Fitzpatrick would be a veteran who might be a better fit.

Ryan Fitzmagic?!?! What????

shocked sesame street GIF

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ryan Fitzmagic?!?! What????

shocked sesame street GIF

In terms of veteran fit sans Mayfield. However........Yes Fitzpatrick has been better this season than Baker eventhough he is 38 year old journeyman.

Baker- 65 QBR. 10 TD 6 INT. 1,095 Yards. 11 Sacks. 60% Completion.

Fitz- 83 QBR. 10 TD 7 INT. 1,535 Yards. 10 Sacks. 70% Completion.

And Fitzpatrick is doing that with half the weapons surrounding him as Baker has.

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

In terms of veteran fit sans Mayfield. However........Yes Fitzpatrick has been better this season than Baker eventhough he is 38 year old journeyman.

Baker- 65 QBR. 10 TD 6 INT. 1,095 Yards. 11 Sacks. 60% Completion.

Fitz- 83 QBR. 10 TD 7 INT. 1,535 Yards. 10 Sacks. 70% Completion.

And Fitzpatrick is doing that with half the weapons surrounding him as Baker has.

A 35 year old fringe HOF may not be the answer but a 37 year old journeyman will be?

Edited by MWil23

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A 35 year old fringe HOF may not be the answer but a 37 year old journeyman will be?

I never said that, I said if the Browns go in a different direction at QB--get a veteran for short term and draft a raw rookie to learn--a guy like Fitzpatrick would fit this offense better because of his mobility and throw on the run compared to a guy like Ryan who is a statue. 

Talking about fit generally. If we do go that route, I wouldnt mind having Keenum holding the fort down for a year over signing a guy like Ryan. Keenum was brought in because he is a veteran who has proven to win in this offense depsite how average his natural talents are.

Edited by AkronsWitness