2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

To be honest, OBJ/Landry isn't quite what it sounds like. Landry is an effort guy who drops some easy ones and makes tough catches but physically is closer to a 3rd down RB than an WR. Useful but not like a top guy in the league or really close. Still appreciate him though. OBJ now is probably middle of the pack physically among #1 WRs but he drops a lot of easy ones and doesn't always fight for position or the ball. When his mind and body are right he can still be very fun to watch but that isn't something that you expect week in and week out.

No one wanted Higgins. DPJ was a late round pick.

No, Wide receiver isn't a team strength and it wasn't last year either. I don't think it has to be, we can be good enough offensively with what we have when healthy but I'm not sure management will see it that way in terms of contracts.

The problem becomes we are using 15% or more of our  cap for mediocre results. 

Bad economics. We need to get out of one of those deals and get better bang for our buck.

• Like 1

Actual productivity is another reason we can't let emotions or Landry's feelings get in the way of any decisions relating to OBJ on our team next year.  I'm great if he comes back and is a healthy contributor.  I'm also fine if some other team would like him and we get some value for him.  Same with Landry, whether Beckham is here or not.  The production just isn't there.  I know injuries are a real reason, but I don't see these guys in the long-term plans here.  Obviously our WR situation is a total mess on paper if both of these guys are not around.  So I'm not saying let's just ship them both out without some real contingencies or acquisitions before the dump.  And I don't want them to just lock in at WR in the 1st round either.  Just saying, I'm cool if we consider our options. Landry is making a lot of money to gimp around and drop passes all year. 

2 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I said without Landry 

You said Landry and OBJ.

Before either of them were here we had Kizer so they wouldn't have mattered much either way. Our problem much of the time since '99 was QB. I think we'd be fine without Landry/OBJ. Not saying I want that to happen but if we save 30 million by letting them go we should be able to bring in decent replacements.

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You said Landry and OBJ.

Before either of them were here we had Kizer so they wouldn't have mattered much either way. Our problem much of the time since '99 was QB. I think we'd be fine without Landry/OBJ. Not saying I want that to happen but if we save 30 million by letting them go we should be able to bring in decent replacements.

You would think that but remember 

Cory Coleman 

Brian Robiskie

Mohammed Massaqoui

Jared Payton 

Ricardo Louis 

Vince Mayle

Greg Little

Carlton Mitchell 

Paul Hubbard 

Syndric Steptoe

Travis Wilson

47 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Cory Coleman 

Brian Robiskie

Mohammed Massaqoui

Jared Payton 

Ricardo Louis 

Vince Mayle

Greg Little

Carlton Mitchell 

Paul Hubbard 

Syndric Steptoe

Travis Wilson

I forgot about half of those guys and would have preferred to keep it that way.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Cory Coleman 

Brian Robiskie

Mohammed Massaqoui

Greg Little

I think those are the only ones that were towards the top half of the draft and even then Coleman is the only real bust. Yeah, the 2nd rounders didn't pan out but that isn't all that surprising and I wouldn't be held captive by past regimes as far as determining what is best for the team now. If we let go of OBJ/Landry there is no reason not to sign a free agent or two. We don't have to rely solely on the draft.

Or we can keep one or both, whatever is best for the team I don't really care. I just don't think it would set us back much either way. We aren't getting the production from OBJ that you would expect no matter who is to blame. Landry is nice but he is limited compared to other WRs at his pay scale.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think those are the only ones that were towards the top half of the draft and even then Coleman is the only real bust. Yeah, the 2nd rounders didn't pan out but that isn't all that surprising and I wouldn't be held captive by past regimes as far as determining what is best for the team now. If we let go of OBJ/Landry there is no reason not to sign a free agent or two. We don't have to rely solely on the draft.

Or we can keep one or both, whatever is best for the team I don't really care. I just don't think it would set us back much either way. We aren't getting the production from OBJ that you would expect no matter who is to blame. Landry is nice but he is limited compared to other WRs at his pay scale.

Idt you can call anyone on that list higher pick or not a success 

1 minute ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Idt you can call anyone on that list higher pick or not a success 

Josh Cribbs. Did he make your list? Josh Gordon almost worked out.

None of them are from the last 5 years either. I also don't think we have to use just the draft to replace them. For 30 million you should be able to get some combination of: AJ Green/Perriman/Golladay/Fuller/Hilton/Pascal/Watkins/Godwin/Josh Gordon! etc...