2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

In pre-game Kosar said that the conditions (rain but not much wind) would be very good to throw in.

I agree, if you are 6' 5" and can read defenses, which Mayfield is not and cannot.

I don't think he said that. No one would ever say that rainy conditions are good to throw (or catch) in. He may have said it was better conditions than the last two games because of the crazy wind but that is different.

There are advantages for the offense(s), but there are also disadvantages like a receiver slipping on his route and the pass going directly to a defender who didn't slip. You won't find a QB, alive or dead, when given the option of rain or no rain that would pick rain.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:
8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

A number of times he progressed through his read, his pass to higgins going out was excellent, he read the defense and moved up the pocket and made an extremely difficult throw.

What happened on the 50% that weren't completed?

Of the 10 incompletions, Njoku dropped his attempt, Hooper dropped one right before the half. Baker spiked one to kill the clock before the half. Baker threw one deep to waste the final 4 seconds before the half. Baker missed Hooper in the end zone. Baker threw it low to Hodge (I think) sliding at the sideline in the 1st quarter. Baker back shouldered Higgins on a 3rd down where he was mauled but no flag. Baker threw one away on the second drive because he didn't see anyone open.

That was the 8 in the 1st half.

The two in the 2nd half was: one to Hodge in the end zone where he ran the wrong route and a throw away after Wills got bull rushed into Baker.

Bonus: Although not a pass technically because it was a backwards pass, Bitonio forgot to block his guy and Baker was hit throwing to Hunt.

So he missed Hooper in the endzone (the only thing many will remember from this game, not the 3rd and 10 from his own 4 that he converted after a couple run stuffs to keep the drive going and march them down the field before that errant throw and 3 failed runs to get into the endzone) and one to Hodge on 3rd and 4 at the sideline that was just short.

Fairly impressive if you ask me.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Of the 10 incompletions, Njoku dropped his attempt, Hooper dropped one right before the half. Baker spiked one to kill the clock before the half. Baker threw one deep to waste the final 4 seconds before the half. Baker missed Hooper in the end zone. Baker threw it low to Hodge (I think) sliding at the sideline in the 1st quarter. Baker back shouldered Higgins on a 3rd down where he was mauled but no flag. Baker threw one away on the second drive because he didn't see anyone open.

That was the 8 in the 1st half.

The two in the 2nd half was: one to Hodge in the end zone where he ran the wrong route and a throw away after Wills got bull rushed into Baker.

Bonus: Although not a pass technically because it was a backwards pass, Bitonio forgot to block his guy and Baker was hit throwing to Hunt.

So he missed Hooper in the endzone (the only thing many will remember from this game, not the 3rd and 10 from his own 4 that he converted after a couple run stuffs to keep the drive going and march them down the field before that errant throw and 3 failed runs to get into the endzone) and one to Hodge on 3rd and 4 at the sideline that was just short.

Fairly impressive if you ask me.

Thank you for posting this Thomas! I was halfway through typing a similar break down but then decided it was pointless as Bruce (like several others), is mired in his hatred and will not change his mind so it was pointless for me to waste my virtual breath. 

Edited by pscottdai

From my perspective Mayfield continues to improve which is the bottom line.  No interceptions! No fumbles!  Very few sacks!  He has much better pocket awareness.  Without a speed WR, defenses have adjusted. It looks like he is reading the defenses as evidenced by audibles.  Lastly he continues to change his cadence causing offsides.  Hopefully he will continue to improve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, #32 said:

From my perspective Mayfield continues to improve which is the bottom line.  No interceptions! No fumbles!  Very few sacks!  He has much better pocket awareness.  Without a speed WR, defenses have adjusted. It looks like he is reading the defenses as evidenced by audibles.  Lastly he continues to change his cadence causing offsides.  Hopefully he will continue to improve.

He had a fumble 

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think he said that. No one would ever say that rainy conditions are good to throw (or catch) in. He may have said it was better conditions than the last two games because of the crazy wind but that is different.

There are advantages for the offense(s), but there are also disadvantages like a receiver slipping on his route and the pass going directly to a defender who didn't slip. You won't find a QB, alive or dead, when given the option of rain or no rain that would pick rain.

Some of the only advantages are that it’s harder to read a QBs eyes in heavy rain and pass rushers have a hard time getting their feet where they want it to.

Baker's playing well in the role of game manager. I mean guys get whole careers out of that with a team. I think we're in an alright position moving forward with him as the QB, especially considering this is year one with Stefanski. Still, there isn't a soul running around yelling "pay the man" yet, and rightfully so. 

16 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Baker's playing well in the role of game manager. I mean guys get whole careers out of that with a team. I think we're in an alright position moving forward with him as the QB, especially considering this is year one with Stefanski. Still, there isn't a soul running around yelling "pay the man" yet, and rightfully so. 

Game manager in the sense that he doesn't throw often? Not that I consider that the definition but he is like 30th in attempts.

As far as being a game manager with his throws, the fact that he is top 10 in air yards per attempt (2nd in air yards per completion) I can't call him a game manager. Game managers are more checkdown Charlies.

• Like 1