2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

20 hours ago, buno67 said:

truly, the Browns have potential to get better if they dont do anything. Delpit is an instant up grade at safety. Greedy would help out at corners and Billings would improve the run defense and IDL.

Now will the browns be satisfied with that? I sure as help hope not. Just the guys we can get back for next year and what we do in FA and Draft could make a huge, huge differnce for the defense 

You could add Forbes to the list based on potential but we really have no idea what he can do.

18 minutes ago, bruceb said:

You could add Forbes to the list based on potential but we really have no idea what he can do.

Idk I saw enough from Those two new guys at the end of the year thst they might get the nod. I sure as hell hope Forbes can be thst swing guy. I like him too much

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

His performance against Kansas City was more than enough proof he’s a franchise QB.

He was the reason that game was competitive late. The defense did Jack diddly **** all game. Baker kept firing and gave us a shot to take the lead late.

While the defense was far from good and caught many breaks in terms of penalties and injuries, in the end they only allowed 22 points. If you would've told me before the game that we would need to score 23 points to win the game I would've been PUMPED.

Not blaming Baker, he played great. He was awesome, just as he's been the entire second half of the year. He is our man. But man, we only needed 23 points to win!! We missed OBJ badly. None of the guys could get separation.

24 minutes ago, braylon said:

While the defense was far from good and caught many breaks in terms of penalties and injuries, in the end they only allowed 22 points. If you would've told me before the game that we would need to score 23 points to win the game I would've been PUMPED.

Not blaming Baker, he played great. He was awesome, just as he's been the entire second half of the year. He is our man. But man, we only needed 23 points to win!! We missed OBJ badly. None of the guys could get separation.

Stop looking at points. Look at success rate of drives

-Drive one - TD

-Drive two - TD

-Drive three - FG

-Drive four (with almost no time remaining) - FG

———————————— first half defense is 0/4 with 3 massive failures and one simply bad drive

-Drive 5 (really bad field position) - held to a missed FG, first win for D

-Drive 6 - FG, allowed them to get into range converting on 4th with backup qb

-Drive 7 - allowed them to move downfield with ease but intercepted a gift pass from backup

-Drive 8 - allowed them to burn 5 minutes of clock and win game including the 3rd and 14 drive

In total I’d say our defense lost 6 drives and won 2. the only reason we gave up so few points is because we allowed them to get as many yards as they wanted so the clock burned fast very short game. Q1 was over at 1:35 for gods sake

I’d give the defense an F for their performance and think it was one of their worst games 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Stop looking at points. Look at success rate of drives

-Drive one - TD

-Drive two - TD

-Drive three - FG

-Drive four (with almost no time remaining) - FG

———————————— first half defense is 0/4 with 3 massive failures and one simply bad drive

-Drive 5 (really bad field position) - held to a missed FG, first win for D

-Drive 6 - FG, allowed them to get into range converting on 4th with backup qb

-Drive 7 - allowed them to move downfield with ease but intercepted a gift pass from backup

-Drive 8 - allowed them to burn 5 minutes of clock and win game including the 3rd and 14 drive

In total I’d say our defense lost 6 drives and won 2. the only reason we gave up so few points is because we allowed them to get as many yards as they wanted so the clock burned fast very short game. Q1 was over at 1:35 for gods sake

I’d give the defense an F for their performance and think it was one of their worst games 

Yes, they were bad. All I'm saying is, the bottom line is our offense only needed to score 23 points, which is a fact. The offense undoubtedly had a better game than the defense, but when it comes down to it, the game is about scoring points and stopping your opponent from scoring points. The defense came up with that interception late in the game and gave the offense a chance.. they blew it. Then the defense blew it lol. I mean, we just flat out didn't deserve to win.

Bottom line is it was a team loss, but to me more blame falls on the D. If you can't get a stop with the game on the line on 3rd and 14 (or whatever it was), and the backup QB in...time for some soul searching. It's not surprising, however, given how they played all year long (especially on critical downs). This was not a 1 year rebuilding project. We've got the offense up to par, it's the D's turn this off-season.

• Like 2

If Higgins doesn't fumble, we have 3 total possessions and 10 points in the first half, and worst case scenario are down 19-10 with the ball coming out of halftime.

I love Nick, but he had 2 brutal drops, one of which may have actually been a TD.

That final possession is the one that Stefanski wishes he had back. A timeout (UGH) followed by a play out of timeout resulting in a loss of yardage (UGH!), a screen pass (went to the well one too many times there) that resulted in nothing because the D sniffed it out, and then a 5 yard completion leaving us with a 4th and 9. 

Stefanski wisely made the right call to punt and let our defense get a stop with their backup QB who had done nothing, resulting in us getting the ball back and a TD to win it, as opposed to a TO on downs and a TD and 2 PT needed to send it into OT considering it would have been a chip shot FG if it failed...and they gave up a 3rd and forever scramble to a guy who couldn't beat me in a footrace. 

This defense was awful once again on 4th down, and it cost them the playoffs. The 4th down conversion metrics this year were the worst in NFL history in the modern era. That's absolutely awful.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If Higgins doesn't fumble, we have 3 total possessions and 10 points in the first half, and worst case scenario are down 19-10 with the ball coming out of halftime.

I love Nick, but he had 2 brutal drops, one of which may have actually been a TD.

That final possession is the one that Stefanski wishes he had back. A timeout (UGH) followed by a play out of timeout resulting in a loss of yardage (UGH!), a screen pass (went to the well one too many times there) that resulted in nothing because the D sniffed it out, and then a 5 yard completion leaving us with a 4th and 9. 

Stefanski wisely made the right call to punt and let our defense get a stop with their backup QB who had done nothing, resulting in us getting the ball back and a TD to win it, as opposed to a TO on downs and a TD and 2 PT needed to send it into OT considering it would have been a chip shot FG if it failed...and they gave up a 3rd and forever scramble to a guy who couldn't beat me in a footrace. 

This defense was awful once again on 4th down, and it cost them the playoffs. The 4th down conversion metrics this year were the worst in NFL history in the modern era. That's absolutely awful.

Yeah, I don't get why some are criticizing Stefanski for punting in that situation. Would have been too risky to go for it there, IMO. Would have been different say it had been 4th and 5 or less, but 4th and really long was too far of a distance.

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, I don't get why some are criticizing Stefanski for punting in that situation. Would have been too risky to go for it there, IMO. Would have been different say it had been 4th and 5 or less, but 4th and really long was too far of a distance.

We should be criticizing steph for crappy play calling. 

Running power into chris jones twice for 0 yards. No rpo on the play.

Running screens that just weren't working. 

It wasnt a great game from stephanski.

It was an unfortunate circumstance, certainly it is a punting situation with the clock and score but you are also relying on our defense, even with a backup QB, to make a stop. We just weren't good at that. I knew we beat the Steelers when they punted in the 4th quarter, that was a situation where I think you definitely go for it. If we were playing our defense I think we should have definitely went for it on 4th and 9. Having time to think about it and revisionist history being on our side I think we should have went for it.

If we failed to convert a FG would have been likely against us and they probably would have played conservative to assure they got a FG attempt and an 8 point lead. We would have had to drive the field and convert a 2 point conversion but I think there would have been plenty of time left if we can make some plays.

So would you be more confident having to drive the field and get a 2 point conversion to tie or our defense not allowing multiple 1st downs on a drive and forcing a punt and our offense only needing a TD to win?

I'm probably not counting on our defense. Even if it was the correct move.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, candyman93 said:

You can sig quote me if you want to.

OBJ will not be on this team a year from now.

Baker will be on the roster, but he will be in a QB battle.

Sheldon and Vernon will NOT be on this roster next year.

Njoku will NOT be on this roster next season.

This isn’t that hard to predict guys.

I will quote you

I will not go to the effort of sig quoting you

Edited by malibuspeedrace