2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

We are not in a position to trade for Watson. Especially considering we had a good year from a 3rd year quarterback. He’s good enough to win, and for now he is on a rookie deal. Watson pretty much needs that long-term deal right away where are you are playing him at the end of his contract, as it stands. And he is going to break the market. I’m not changing course and also giving up a bunch of assets to put this team in a bind. Not even worth a phone call. Build on this playoff season, which we haven’t had in 18 years, by getting some help on defense and another weapon or two, keep your draft assets, and call it a day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

We are not in a position to trade for Watson. Especially considering we had a good year from a 3rd year quarterback. He’s good enough to win, and for now he is on a rookie deal. Watson pretty much needs that long-term deal right away where are you are playing him at the end of his contract, as it stands. And he is going to break the market. I’m not changing course and also giving up a bunch of assets to put this team in a bind. Not even worth a phone call. Build on this playoff season, which we haven’t had in 18 years, by getting some help on defense and another weapon or two, keep your draft assets, and call it a day. 

Not sure what you are saying about Watson needing a long term deal, he just signed a 4 year extension in September. I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Otherwise, I agree. I believe Baker is going to get better. Not that he isn't already good but I think he can statistically take that next step where he is throwing for 70% completions and 35-40 TD and less than 10 picks and moving to a top 5 QB in the league. We saw a lot of that in the 2nd half of the season. I just think there will be easier throws for him in the future and we already know he can force it to well covered receivers.

Watson is also very good. There are 32 teams though and I'm not interested in making a deal like the Rams did. I don't think we would be significantly better right away and we would sacrifice future talent. We were really close to the AFCCG with as bad of a 3rd and 4th down defense as you could imagine. If we only fixed that part of the team we would be Super Bowl contenders if the offense keeps doing their thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not sure what you are saying about Watson needing a long term deal, he just signed a 4 year extension in September. I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Otherwise, I agree. I believe Baker is going to get better. Not that he isn't already good but I think he can statistically take that next step where he is throwing for 70% completions and 35-40 TD and less than 10 picks and moving to a top 5 QB in the league. We saw a lot of that in the 2nd half of the season. I just think there will be easier throws for him in the future and we already know he can force it to well covered receivers.

Watson is also very good. There are 32 teams though and I'm not interested in making a deal like the Rams did. I don't think we would be significantly better right away and we would sacrifice future talent. We were really close to the AFCCG with as bad of a 3rd and 4th down defense as you could imagine. If we only fixed that part of the team we would be Super Bowl contenders if the offense keeps doing their thing.

I forgot he just signed an extension.I forgot he just signed an extension. I just knew he was entering year five. 

On 1/30/2021 at 5:05 AM, ditchdigger said:

Over the course of their respective careers, both Baker Mayfield and Deshaun Watson have lost in the playoffs to Patrick Mahomes.

Watson has looked better for longer, but Mayfield has looked best most recently.

So even in a vacuum, while you could say that Watson has been more productive and efficient over the course of his career and is more than likely the better overall talent at this point, Mayfield has shown over the course of his career that he is the perfect fit for this coach, offense, team and city.

I do not dislike Deshaun Watson, but I don't see any reason to destroy the team chemistry, organizational trust, and fan support that Baker has earned in Cleveland. He has put in the work, and the results are better than even I expected as a person who believed the Browns should draft him since Oklahoma beat Ohio State in Columbus and never once wavered. 

The proposed trade is so depleting and deflating to the idea of team building, I cannot see how Andrew Berry could pull the trigger on anything of the sort.  I can see him entertaining the idea for scholastic reasons, but it appears to me to run too far counter to everything that he and Depodesta have shown so far.

Forgot to mention this was a great post. Once again you articulate my thoughts with words I just don’t have. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Its seems like our front office is only on foot in on Baker. They haven't come out and said he is our guy.

Think they want to pick up his option and for him to prove that he can repeat the success he had in the second half of last season and be the good Baker for an entire season.

Can't say as I blame them...that's what I would do.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Its seems like our front office is only on foot in on Baker. They haven't come out and said he is our guy.

Idk it just seems like Berry is a guy who holds all of his cards close to his vest.

His presser today was extremely boring. He wouldn’t talk details on anything.

I don’t think we need him to come out pounding the table screaming “BAKER IS OUR GUY”.  Why do that when everyone knows Baker is going to be the QB. I don’t see him falling off the face of the earth next years. The things baker did last year aren’t things that are wide variable that could fluctuant year to year like the DA 2007 season where you can’t expect the amount of deep passes to always be there.    

they all saw in that KC game that he was one of few players to truly show up

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

To be fair, they haven't really said anything this offseason. In my opinion, they are going to stick to whatever script they have and move according. Also, part of me thinks the FO thinks Baker benefitted from Stefanski's scheme and needs to see more if its Baker or the scheme, but conversely, the smart thing is probably to pay him now because the price is only going to go up when he continues to win or other QBs in his class get paid. Its a weird spot for us to be in

Also, when Watson requested for a trade, I honestly thought about having him here, but that would be messed up. There is no other person I'd want to win a Super Bowl for us than Baker Mayfield because every single person, team that talked crap about us has to bend the knee and kiss the ring.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1