2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

How many QBs have a OBJ, Jarvis, Hooper, Kareem, Chubb, and at the very worst competent o-line?

OBJ, who, as of now, looks like a complete shell of his former self.

He's had Hooper for literally one game.

Kareem for like half a season.

And the OL last year was not remotely competent.

• Like 2

- 4 coaches in 3 years

- No offseason, no preseason

Maybe a little patience? I understand some people are desperate to win after years of misery (I am one of them), but I will not ask to bench the QB after one game under these circumstances. Especially after seeing what he could do in 2018.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Joe Burrow outplays Baker, that will tell people all they need to know.

Unless people think Burrow having a 2nd year HC who went 2-14 last year is “stable.”

Im just looking forward to seeing if Baker can settle TF down in the pocket. Watching Burrow last week he takes a 3 step drop, steps up in the pocket, makes 2-3 reads and goes. Baker makes 1 read, panics, double pumps and starts scrambling. 

I need Baker to get back to 2018 where he was confident and poised in the pocket and delivered strikes. Hes playing scared to make a mistake

Edited by AkronsWitness

56 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

How many QBs have a OBJ, Jarvis, Hooper, Kareem, Chubb, and at the very worst competent o-line?

OBJ has looked like dog crap since we got him. Landry is solid and an AMAZING locker room guy, Hooper had two targets so far, RBs are RBs, and the OL was terrible up until this game.

It's one game. If nothing improves by week 8 or so, then we are getting concerned.

But EVERYONE said that teams learning new systems would struggle severely week one. Now week one comes and all of a sudden they were supposed to be fine?

Baker was bad Sunday. He was also in system #4 in two years. I'm gonna give him awhile to get used to it before I panic. Especially when SO MANY of the miscues can easily be summed up as "isn't comfortable in and doesn't really know the offense yet." (The missing open guys, struggling to process defense AND remember option route combos at the same time, forcing it to a specific guy, etc.)

There's reason to be concerned, FOR SURE! But it's premature to be closing the book already.

5 minutes ago, FGK said:

OBJ has looked like dog crap since we got him. Landry is solid and an AMAZING locker room guy, Hooper had two targets so far, RBs are RBs, and the OL was terrible up until this game.

It's one game. If nothing improves by week 8 or so, then we are getting concerned.

But EVERYONE said that teams learning new systems would struggle severely week one. Now week one comes and all of a sudden they were supposed to be fine?

Baker was bad Sunday. He was also in system #4 in two years. I'm gonna give him awhile to get used to it before I panic. Especially when SO MANY of the miscues can easily be summed up as "isn't comfortable in and doesn't really know the offense yet." (The missing open guys, struggling to process defense AND remember option route combos at the same time, forcing it to a specific guy, etc.)

There's reason to be concerned, FOR SURE! But it's premature to be closing the book already.

I think that Bryant is going to be a long term piece here. He was used A LOT and made some catches early. That shows what the staff thinks of him. Maybe it could develop into a Ertz/Goddert type of 2TE set like we have Chubb/Hunt at RB. Landry goes 100% all the time and runs through his routes and has better hands on short/intermediate routes which is why he has looked better for the last year+

I also believe the only reason Njoku is getting snaps is to showcase him for a trade. 

OBJ has looked like booty hole because he 1/2 arses his routes most of the time. He doesnt run hard routes at all. He also to has seem to lost his sure hands on anything thats not a deep 50/50 ball.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im just looking forward to seeing if Baker can settle TF down in the pocket. Watching Burrow last week he takes a 3 step drop, steps up in the pocket, makes 2-3 reads and goes.

Agreed on wanting Baker to settle down. But what you're talking about with Burrow was largely a product of what he was asked to do. He threw within 10 yards of the LOS and to his right something like 60% of the time. They gave him a gameplan of 80% the easiest, most comfortable throws. Whereas Baker's % of throws that were classified as "deep" targets was top 8 in the league (largely because of us falling behind so fast).

So, agreed on Baker's much needed chilling the flip out. But I think Burrow is gonna have some struggles as defenses start taking away his easy stuff.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think that Bryant is going to be a long term piece here. He was used A LOT and made some catches early. That shows what the staff thinks of him. Maybe it could develop into a Ertz/Goddert type of 2TE set like we have Chubb/Hunt at RB.

I also believe the only reason Njoku is getting snaps is to showcase him for a trade. 

OBJ has looked like booty hole because he 1/2 arses his routes most of the time. He doesnt run hard routes at all. He also to has seem to lost his sure hands on anything thats not a deep 50/50 ball.

Agree on both points, which is unfortunate cause I think Njoku could be awesome if he stayed healthy and had a bigger role.

I liked the OBJ trade, but it has soured on us BAD. You're absolutely right that his hands have gotten worse, he's not trying hard on routes, it's crazy. What was that lazy #$$ route where he rounded it so much that he was running out of bounds and didn't have time to reestablish? That was crazy for a professional to do that just because of a lazy route and not a jam by a defender or something.

1 minute ago, FGK said:

Agree on both points, which is unfortunate cause I think Njoku could be awesome if he stayed healthy and had a bigger role.

I liked the OBJ trade, but it has soured on us BAD. You're absolutely right that his hands have gotten worse, he's not trying hard on routes, it's crazy. What was that lazy #$$ route where he rounded it so much that he was running out of bounds and didn't have time to reestablish? That was crazy for a professional to do that just because of a lazy route and not a jam by a defender or something.

Yep yep yep. Watch his drops, he doesnt come out of his break hard, he doesnt finish routes, he basically runs the route and as soon as the ball is thrown--stops. You can tell hes is not comfortable going over the middle.

Im afraid.......gulp......OBJ is turning into Brandon Lloyd.

Oof that comparison to Ben is interesting.

Imagine if Baker had a fantastic defense to lean on as well. Where on 3rd and 9 they could just run the ball and punt and let the defense get a stop.

Imagine having a team so good, they could win a Super Bowl with a QB who threw just 17 TD’s in the regular season.   

I can’t even wrap my head around 4 years of the same HC.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oof that comparison to Ben is interesting.

Imagine if Baker had a fantastic defense to lean on as well. Where on 3rd and 9 they could just run the ball and punt and let the defense get a stop.

Imagine having a team so good, they could win a Super Bowl with a QB who threw just 17 TD’s in the regular season.   

I can’t even wrap my head around 4 years of the same HC.

I really, really hope Stefanski is given at least that long. But with Truckstop Jimmy, it would obviously be dumb to count on that happening if Stef doesn't have great success within the first two years.