2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

I'd personally let Baker play out the year/pick up his 5th year option, and then pay him handsomely if he replicates the back half of 2020. Sell him on building up that awful defense and stashing money for other guys, while giving him a lot guaranteed with flexibility to continue to win/have great players around him. He wants to win, but you show respect to your franchise QB by paying him well.

• Like 1

You have to think that Andrew Berry is going to want to set the market for the 2018 QB class, and not let it be set for him.

At least match Stefanski's contract length. Make the marriage official. It's got to get done to send a message and secure the future success of the team. They could potentially keep his cap number the same this year, and figure it out from there. 

I think the future money can be kept in the 20s for annual value, possibly around 24-26 right now. But if we wait and he goes on to win 1 or 2 or 4 playoff games and wins NFL  and SB MVP, it's up to 40. Sliding scale only tilts up from here.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

You have to think that Andrew Berry is going to want to set the market for the 2018 QB class, and not let it be set for him.

At least match Stefanski's contract length. Make the marriage official. It's got to get done to send a message and secure the future success of the team. They could potentially keep his cap number the same this year, and figure it out from there. 

I think the future money can be kept in the 20s for annual value, possibly around 24-26 right now. But if we wait and he goes on to win 1 or 2 or 4 playoff games and wins NFL  and SB MVP, it's up to 40. Sliding scale only tilts up from here.

If all that happens I’ll gladly pay him 40

34 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Well if he doesn’t get the contract this offseason, it will be next offseason. It will be in the mid to high 20s. If he goes off next year, he will be worth that contract then...

57 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Every minute that goes by without an extension, the more expensive it is going to be.

The best time to extend Baker is either:

A. Now

or

B. See A

Does it matter if he is truly the franchise QB?

Also how do we know this is on the franchise, it could be baker holding it back. Franchise might want him extended now but baker knows if he does amazing things he can get more money. If baker believes in himself, what’s the point of extending, unless it’s a crazy offer. His next two seasons are set in stone salary wise, so why not ride thst out and see if you can do what dak has done and keep increasing your value.

also it might be dumb to re up now especially with the tv deals that were just struck. 

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

Does it matter if he is truly the franchise QB?

Also how do we know this is on the franchise, it could be baker holding it back.

Lol we know it's not Baker playing defense. He is either a franchise QB--he is--or at least league average. Extend him.

Franchise might want him extended now but baker knows if he does amazing things he can get more money. If baker believes in himself, what’s the point of extending, unless it’s a crazy offer. His next two seasons are set in stone salary wise, so why not ride thst out and see if you can do what dak has done and keep increasing your value.

also it might be dumb to re up now especially with the tv deals that were just struck. 

Nope. I'm two years of success from now, he's getting a bigger contract then Mahomes. Y'all are just being foolish. Extend him.

Well if he doesn’t get the contract this offseason, it will be next offseason. It will be in the mid to high 20s. If he goes off next year, he will be worth that contract then...

He'll get at least 30 next off-season. Don't fool yourself. Extend him.

18 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

If all that happens I’ll gladly pay him 40

No. Stop. Pay him 28 now and lock him up for years. Extend him.

4 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Lol we know it's not Baker playing defense. He is either a franchise QB--he is--or at least league average. Extend him.

Franchise could want to extend him But baker could be holding it off after he just saw the TV deals the league just signed. If you were smart you would wait. 

no one is saying not to extend him. Extending him now would be the smartest thing because it would Save them money. If we know that, the agent knows that. So he can advise him to wait until the new tv money flowing in. Baker Has leverage in this situation IMO. No need for him to rush his contract when he has at least another season to use as leverage 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Franchise could want to extend him But baker could be holding it off after he just saw the TV deals the league just signed. If you were smart you would wait. 

no one is saying not to extend him. Extending him now would be the smartest thing because it would Save them money. If we know that, the agent knows that. So he can advise him to wait until the new tv money flowing in. Baker Has leverage in this situation IMO. No need for him to rush his contract when he has at least another season to use as leverage 

Bruce, Dawgpoun and some others want to wait another year because he might not be the guy.  I say he's the guy and it's time to extend him.  I think if we give him a top-10 contract at QB that he will sign now.  We don't have to Mahomes him, and I think he knows that, but $28 mil per is the starting point to negotiations, possibly $33 mil per as the cap.  And likely it's at least a four year extension, if not five.  That's just where NFL contracts currently are.

Edited by NudeTayne

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Bruce, Dawgpoun and some others want to wait another year because he might not be the guy.  I say he's the guy and it's time to extend him.  I think if we give him a top-10 contract at QB that he will sign now.  We don't have to Mahomes him, and I think he knows that, but $28 mil per is the starting point to negotiations, possibly $33 mil per as the cap.  And likely it's at least a four year extension, if not five.  That's just where NFL contracts currently are.

Ummmmm no I have not said that and believe quite the contrary, I’m fully on and have been fully on the baker bus

Mayfield only has to win 1 more playoff game next year and we are talking about Dak money.

Now how many of you are saying Mayfield does not win a second playoff game. 

How much money does Mayfield get

If the head for head hit on Higgins gets called and we win the KC game?

That's OK I will risk a 22,000,000

Million cap increase because I do not like paying wide receiver. 

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

For me it’s simple, is Baker good enough that if you give him the right pieces that he can beat Mahomes in a playoff game?

The AFC is going to run through Kansas City for a minimum of a few years.

He certainly gives us our best chance. 

Pay the man what he wants. 

• Like 1