2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

For me it’s simple, is Baker good enough that if you give him the right pieces that he can beat Mahomes in a playoff game?

The AFC is going to run through Kansas City for a minimum of a few years.

It may be more about the odds that you get a better QB. How many offseasons will it take to get a more competent QB than Baker? 5 years? 15 years? 30 years? We went 33 years between drafting QBs that we had to discuss if a second contract was worth it.

I don't think there is really a great debate in here whether we want to extend Baker or not and I don't think there is any debate whether the team wants to extend Baker. Just have to wait and allow the business side to take care of the details.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Ummmmm no I have not said that and believe quite the contrary, I’m fully on and have been fully on the baker bus

Okay. Sounds like that you were agreeing with the concept of waiting one more year just to be sure and then being willing to pay him more of he proves himself one more time. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

On 3/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, ditchdigger said:

But if we wait and he goes on to win 1 or 2 or 4 playoff games and wins NFL  and SB MVP, it's up to 40. Sliding scale only tilts up from here.

On 3/6/2021 at 6:15 PM, Dawgpoun8017 said:

If all that happens I’ll gladly pay him 40

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Okay. Sounds like that you were agreeing with the concept of waiting one more year just to be sure and then being willing to pay him more of he proves himself one more time. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

I was saying if he did pull all that off and we paid him that much I would not have an issue with it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

bakers is going to look even larger the longer we wait 

I would still give it another year. He progressed nicely as the season went on, but the cautionary tales of Goff/Wentz makes me want to wait oooooone more year. If he balls out next year and we have to pay him stupid money then we have to pay him stupid money, it is what it is lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I don't know if he beats Mahomes even 1 time next year we go into cap

He'll forever look at what KC looks like 14 months from now when Mahomes consumes 25 percent of the salary cap.

46 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would still give it another year. He progressed nicely as the season went on, but the cautionary tales of Goff/Wentz makes me want to wait oooooone more year. If he balls out next year and we have to pay him stupid money then we have to pay him stupid money, it is what it is lol

what about the cautionary tale of Dak and Cousins...you sit on it and you screw yourself in the long run. Cowboys and Washington screwed themselves. Dak got massively overpaid and Washington ruined their relationship with Cousins and lost him. 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

what about the cautionary tale of Dak and Cousins...you sit on it and you screw yourself in the long run. Cowboys and Washington screwed themselves. Dak got massively overpaid and Washington ruined their relationship with Cousins and lost him. 

True, but we were just talking about to even pick up Mayfields option halfway through last season. Thats a big jump in 4-5 weeks of football to go from picking up a option to giving him a 100+million dollar long term extension.

He played good last year down the stretch but its not like he was putting up MVP numbers along the way. I would be fine with giving him a extention, but I dont want it even coming close to top 5 QB money.

Edited by AkronsWitness