MNF, Game 1: Steelers @ Giants

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Steelers
    • Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/2020 at 11:00 PM

59 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I disagree. Last year, his pocket presence was really bad. Really, really bad. I saw a ton of improvement in pocket presence and ball security last night. I was truly impressed with that, actually. And I'm apparently not the only one:

There were a few plays last night where I said out loud "that's a sack fumble last year". Instead, he was able to avoid a lot of pressure last night, as well as secure the ball when he did get hit. How many times did we see him make a throw with 4 Steelers bearing down on him? And they were on target! It's a shame his performance from this game is going to be remembered by his awful red zone interception (inexcusable, by the way), because he really played well last night. Barkley was shut down hard. He was forced to play from behind against a great defense with a porous OL and 0 run game, and he still played as well as he did. 

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with him, I thought he played well. I just saw similar issues in terms of not knowing when a defender is bearing down on him. As you say though, they were strip sacks last year

8 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

He was trying to throw it out of the back of the end zone. If he gets it off (most times he would, Dupree made the play of his career) it's a GREAT play.

He needed to throw it away earlier, but yeah, his arm got hit at the last second to cause the interception. He's got to find the best balance between being a hero and living to fight another down. He already improved from last year in game 1 in that regard overall, so I'm pleased. I'm hoping plays like that interception are almost entirely cut out by the end of this year. He showed some really impressive improvement from last year in ball security, pocket presence, and making smart decisions. He threw into way less tight windows (14% supposedly. He was averaging waaay higher than that last year). Two plays stuck out to me from Monday night- one, he threw the ball at the feet of the RB on a screen that got blown up. Two was this one:

I said the same thing Dan did: that's a sack fumble last year.

Also, Blaq you would obviously know better than I would- was that really the play of Bud's career? Did he play as well last year as he did Monday night? He was a one man wrecking crew. It was pretty incredible.

26 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Also, Blaq you would obviously know better than I would- was that really the play of Bud's career? Did he play as well last year as he did Monday night? He was a one man wrecking crew. It was pretty incredible.

That was top 5 in his career. 

Bud was very raw coming into the NFL. Some of us Steelers fans aren’t shocked to see him finally play well. 

BUT

Heyward, Tuitt, and Watt rightfully get more attention. Dupree gets a ton of TE, RB, or 1-on-1 OT looks. He should win those battles. He made a lot of plays unblocked or with TE blocking only. So the question is do you gamble leaving Dupree single blocked knowing you double Watt and Heyward or do you double Dupree knowing Watt gets single blocked?

It looked to me the Giants said let’s eliminate Watt and take our chances. Because when Ola and Hightower came in they made some noise as well. 

EDIT:

If a team spends big to have Dupree be the “top rusher” of the team they will have made a mistake. But if you are paying him to be the complimentary rushed you will be in a good place. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That was top 5 in his career. 

Bud was very raw coming into the NFL. Some of us Steelers fans aren’t shocked to see him finally play well. 

BUT

Heyward, Tuitt, and Watt rightfully get more attention. Dupree gets a ton of TE, RB, or 1-on-1 OT looks. He should win those battles. He made a lot of plays unblocked or with TE blocking only. So the question is do you gamble leaving Dupree single blocked knowing you double Watt and Heyward or do you double Dupree knowing Watt gets single blocked?

It looked to me the Giants said let’s eliminate Watt and take our chances. Because when Ola and Hightower came in they made some noise as well. 

EDIT:

If a team spends big to have Dupree be the “top rusher” of the team they will have made a mistake. But if you are paying him to be the complimentary rushed you will be in a good place. 

I think Dupree would make a good 9 tech but right now he is most like Clowney.  Ok pass rusher.  Exceptional vs the run.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Jones, in about 3-5 years time, is going to be in top 10 QB discussions. 

I'm not one for bold predictions or hot takes, but I like this one.

i wouldn't say that's super bold! to me the guy's an athlete and a raw kid, and admittedly i figured given he was going to NYG and not say, a team with a guy like andy reid, he likely wouldn't develop and take the chance to capitalise on those athletic abilities

but he has really shown some good flashes, last season and this week - where he has been able to harness that athleticism and make some big plays. he did well to shrug off pressure a couple times from an elite steelers front, ducking tackles from some of the better tacklers the league has. if he wasn't getting pressure in his face every snap he'd be even more composed. unfortunately, still not enough to beat the eventual SBLV champions on the day😎

Edited by Shady Slim
  • Like 1

To me it seems like Jones is more accurate than Eli and definitely more mobile.  Ball security not as good (hopefully this improved this season) and from the small sample set not as durable as Eli, which was probably Eli's best trait.  Similar in the % of bonehead throws they make I think though, although Eli early in his career was worse in that respect.