GDT WEEK 5: Green Bay @ Dallas

WizardHawk

38 minutes ago, Dirk Gently said:

He is playing poorly for significant stretches. He's also playing like a super star for significant stretches. That will not get it done in the NFL. I don't really care about the adjective. The defense can't afford him disappearing for half a game.

Id say hes played well more often than subpar; He has made some outstanding quick reads, tough throws and is ultimately doing it while running for his life.

I think the biggest problem for Dak right now is having to adjust to doing more on his own and not relying upon the team - line isnt blocking well, Zeke not running well, Dez not getting open, playing from behind more often, all key factors to what Dak has done on the field.

It is tough to ask a second year QB to throw 50 times and do it with 300lb guys chasing him and his star receiver struggling and trying to play catchup.

He has missed some throws, thats a given. He needs to improve on how he drives and follows through on his small window throws; but he has not been a dud out there. This team has had a chance moreso because of him than despite him.

Can someone answer me a question please. Maybe I'm getting too old.

If the defense's are stacking 8 man fronts. That would leave Dez, Witten and Beasley in 1 on 1 coverage, correct. How is it then possible that Beasley has completely disappeared from this offense. And since when can ANYONE cover Witten one on one, not to mention Dez? And that allows us to keep 1 more player in to max protect. 6 Olinemen, QB, RB, 2 WR and 1 TE.

How is this possible? I watch the Iggles and Wentz is running for his life half the time but there is always 1 guy WIDE OPEN underneath.

When did Beasely quite the team? Because he isn't doing ish for us like he did last year.

9 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Can someone answer me a question please. Maybe I'm getting too old.

If the defense's are stacking 8 man fronts. That would leave Dez, Witten and Beasley in 1 on 1 coverage, correct. How is it then possible that Beasley has completely disappeared from this offense. And since when can ANYONE cover Witten one on one, not to mention Dez? And that allows us to keep 1 more player in to max protect. 6 Olinemen, QB, RB, 2 WR and 1 TE.

How is this possible? I watch the Iggles and Wentz is running for his life half the time but there is always 1 guy WIDE OPEN underneath.

When did Beasely quite the team? Because he isn't doing ish for us like he did last year.

Sturm's breakdown from this morning seemed to indicate that guys are getting open, but not instantaneously, since Beasley is getting a lot more attention this year, the windows are small at times, and the Rams got pressure too quickly and easily, causing missed reads and off target throws from Prescott.

Third and longs are just not a good spot to be in. This offense needs to get back to consistent and efficient rushing on early downs. We ran for a good average against the Rams, but it was largely a mix of 10+ yard runs and 0-1 yard runs.

Defenses are not stacking the box. I repeat: Defenses are not stacking the box.

They have been playing base sets fairly often and just simply dominating the line of scrimmage. 

They do.occasionally bring a safety closer to the line, play more shallow zones to remain in position to defend the run, and attack the A's with most of the blitz plays called, but they arent leaving 8 in the box play after play.

The line just isnt winning. Theyre getting beat, theyre being outhustled, outmuscled, and not generating the push needed to execute the key run designs this team used to dominate the line with.

Well, I know the salary cap is an issue but I said we needed to keep Leary at all costs. Looks like we will be drafting O line again this year. But with all of our comp picks, we should be able to trade up our base picks to move up in the first and or second rounds. DL and OL are PRIORITY right now.

As it s, if what you say is accurate, this team is going NOWHERE this year. Schedule is just too tough and we have not been consistent on offense and our defense just plain sucks. We get zero pressure outside of D LAw, create ZERO turnovers, even when they are gift wrapped to our DB's and our DL just doesn't jump on loose balls. There is NO hustle. Our tackling leaves a LOT to be desired. BTW, did anyone see the way Wash was tackling last night? DAMN! That's what I am talking about!

Shame they dropped the game winner int he end zone.

So because the line hasnt played up to the standards we expected, its another top pick priority again? Oh come on.

Who you want to replace, then? Martin? Fredrick? Tyron? Collins?

Or just another first round high priced guy to plug in at LG?

You cant eat filet mignon at every meal in this cap era. Those resources (money and the picks) are best spent at other, more pressing needs that dont have 1/3 of the teams salary cap tied up into it once Martin is signed, and doesnt already have 3 first round selections and 3, soon to be 4, fat contracts invested in it already.

These guys just need to step up.

I don't know what kind of an impact he makes, but one thing that I've seen consistently over the past year is that Irving has a terrific work ethic. Whatever mistakes he made in the past, and there are numerous, he seems to have learned from and it appears he has his act together. If nothing else, that combination is a good starting point moving forward. Pretty anxious to see him playing again actually. His size and length is outstanding. Hopefully he can build off last season. a

29 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't know what kind of an impact he makes, but one thing that I've seen consistently over the past year is that Irving has a terrific work ethic. Whatever mistakes he made in the past, and there are numerous, he seems to have learned from and it appears he has his act together. If nothing else, that combination is a good starting point moving forward. Pretty anxious to see him playing again actually. His size and length is outstanding. Hopefully he can build off last season. a

Hopefully he has a game like he did last year up in GB.

i have already put Rams behind me and think this team success is predicated on the offense controlling the ball and not making mistakes.    That formula would have won the Rams game handily as It were it was only the mistake part that lead to the loss.   Even with the bad 2nd half The muffed punt and can some one please explain the logic of not having Bailey kick it deep all we had to do to win that game was removed 1 of three mistakes them kick winning FG. 

Same formula.   Limit the time Rogers has the ball stop the run and put enough pressure so he can't throw it deep and TACKLE. Then we win if we don't make more mistakes then GB.  Then this time actually try for the winning TD not get happy with a tie and leave enough time to loose late

18 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

So because the line hasnt played up to the standards we expected, its another top pick priority again? Oh come on.

Who you want to replace, then? Martin? Fredrick? Tyron? Collins?

Or just another first round high priced guy to plug in at LG?

You cant eat filet mignon at every meal in this cap era. Those resources (money and the picks) are best spent at other, more pressing needs that dont have 1/3 of the teams salary cap tied up into it once Martin is signed, and doesnt already have 3 first round selections and 3, soon to be 4, fat contracts invested in it already.

These guys just need to step up.

They can't step up. Green cannot stay healthy, Cooper is a retread bust and Collins is playing the wrong position. Put him at LG and draft a T that can actually play with a mean streak ala Eric Williams.

Then trade up your 2nd and 4th to get back in to the late 1st round or high 2nd and take the best pass rushing DE we can get. Because Taco Charlton SUCKS!

Get D Law SOME help and we might just have a competitive chance. I already have written the season off as a bust. 9-7 at BEST.

We cannot play consistently on the offensive side of the ball or we simply cannot make adjustments. The ball control running will not work with a shotty O line.Neither will Prescott while he is running for his life.

And our defense just let a 2nd year QB grill us along with a guy that wasn't even drafted in Simien. 

We have the likes of Rodgers, Wentz, a rejuvenated Cousins, the Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks yet to play.

Just how do you see this team fairing with THAT schedule?

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

They can't step up. Green cannot stay healthy, Cooper is a retread bust and Collins is playing the wrong position. Put him at LG and draft a T that can actually play with a mean streak ala Eric Williams.

Then trade up your 2nd and 4th to get back in to the late 1st round or high 2nd and take the best pass rushing DE we can get. Because Taco Charlton SUCKS!

Get D Law SOME help and we might just have a competitive chance. I already have written the season off as a bust. 9-7 at BEST.

We cannot play consistently on the offensive side of the ball or we simply cannot make adjustments. The ball control running will not work with a shotty O line.Neither will Prescott while he is running for his life.

And our defense just let a 2nd year QB grill us along with a guy that wasn't even drafted in Simien. 

We have the likes of Rodgers, Wentz, a rejuvenated Cousins, the Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks yet to play.

Just how do you see this team fairing with THAT schedule?

This is that "Madden-ize the whole team" mentality that is never as simple as you make it sound; there is so much mire to it.

First off, whos to say your pick pans out? Unlike in madden there is no rating system to draw upon to know if he is a good or bad player until its too late. 

Second, you cant just stack picks at one position as well as cap dollars. That is how you doom your team to irrelevance. This team is Lucky to havr found 3 all pros on  the line. And 3 should be plenty to dominate. Having played OL, i know first hand 50% of a OLs performance is how the guy next to them performs. Its a work in unison or all drown together sort of deal. 

Ive been clamouring since TC to move Collins back inside, even been insulted for suggesting this very scenario would happen but does anyone listen? No, stupid  D94W at it again, is how yall played it off. But nevertheless, moving him back inside still only solves part of the problem.

Fredrick, Martin, Tyron arent playing well. Drafting a first round talent at RT isnt going to make their footwork improve or make them play with the power they played with last year, even with Green at LT for those couple games.

Problems with trading around picks and reaching for the stars at your perceived position of weakness is that you pass on potentially something far better at a position of less need.

Would you rather have the next Greg Ellis because you think Charlton sucks after limited chances buried on a deep depth chart 4 games into a rookie season, or would you rather have the next Randy Moss even though we have Dez, Beasley, Williams and Butler? Would you prefer to pass on a clear cut Champ Bailey prospect in favor of an end that could end up as another Anthony Spencer cause DE is a bigger need to yiu than CB?

You takr the best single player you can, with need somewhat in mind, but never sell out for a single position. That is indeed how you end up with Ebeneezer Ekuban and Felix Jones and Mario Edwards and Quincy Carter and so forth. 

Dont maddenize this team. Especially only 4 games in. Sont be so quick to sell off everything and end the season after 4 games. Dont be so quick to write off a top pick so quickly either. What would you have said had yiu been here Aikmans first year? Youd probably have jumped ship to the Oilers and then kicked yourself about it 3 years later.

Archived