GDT WEEK 5: Green Bay @ Dallas

WizardHawk

4 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is that "Madden-ize the whole team" mentality that is never as simple as you make it sound; there is so much mire to it.

First off, whos to say your pick pans out? Unlike in madden there is no rating system to draw upon to know if he is a good or bad player until its too late. 

Second, you cant just stack picks at one position as well as cap dollars. That is how you doom your team to irrelevance. This team is Lucky to havr found 3 all pros on  the line. And 3 should be plenty to dominate. Having played OL, i know first hand 50% of a OLs performance is how the guy next to them performs. Its a work in unison or all drown together sort of deal. 

Ive been clamouring since TC to move Collins back inside, even been insulted for suggesting this very scenario would happen but does anyone listen? No, stupid  D94W at it again, is how yall played it off. But nevertheless, moving him back inside still only solves part of the problem.

Fredrick, Martin, Tyron arent playing well. Drafting a first round talent at RT isnt going to make their footwork improve or make them play with the power they played with last year, even with Green at LT for those couple games.

Problems with trading around picks and reaching for the stars at your perceived position of weakness is that you pass on potentially something far better at a position of less need.

Would you rather have the next Greg Ellis because you think Charlton sucks after limited chances buried on a deep depth chart 4 games into a rookie season, or would you rather have the next Randy Moss even though we have Dez, Beasley, Williams and Butler? Would you prefer to pass on a clear cut Champ Bailey prospect in favor of an end that could end up as another Anthony Spencer cause DE is a bigger need to yiu than CB?

You takr the best single player you can, with need somewhat in mind, but never sell out for a single position. That is indeed how you end up with Ebeneezer Ekuban and Felix Jones and Mario Edwards and Quincy Carter and so forth. 

Dont maddenize this team. Especially only 4 games in. Sont be so quick to sell off everything and end the season after 4 games. Dont be so quick to write off a top pick so quickly either. What would you have said had yiu been here Aikmans first year? Youd probably have jumped ship to the Oilers and then kicked yourself about it 3 years later.

With Aikman and the triplets I was in my early 20's. I realized THEN it was going to take a year or two before they became competitive. The difference between that team and this team is they consistently got better until they won it all. This team wins 13 games one year, then craps the bed the next. Then wins another 13, then craps the bed. There is NEVER any consistency to them.

The one thing we DO have is youth. Zeke, Dak, J. Smith. B. Jones, our 3 O linemen worth a damn, Beasley, etc. 

DO NOT make the same mistake they did with Romo and patch work an O line and get your QB killed for 5-10 years. In much of that time, the Romo era, we sepnt countless first round or second round picks trying to draft DB's that could stop Eli Manning. It didn't work.

If our bread and butter is going to be Zeke, ball control, etc.You damn well better have a road grating O line like last year. If not, you are going to do to them what you did to Romo ,Ware, Witten and  countless other quality players that deserve a title. Piss away their careers.

And as for this year, the only consistency I have seen from this regime is one up year ending in a Division loss followed by a crap year. Well, we lost the division game last year. Here comes the crap.

1 hour ago, roysmyboy31 said:

With the Packers coming off additional rest and prep time and with Rodgers and those receivers going against our secondary, I see trouble this week.  Offense will have to be a lot better than it has been to stand a chance this Sunday.

give it up. Our defense makes ANY QB look like an All Pro. What do you think Rodgers is going to do to us? He beat us in the Divisional round by drawing up plays in the dirt. That is how pathetic our defense is.

You guys want the simple explanation for being 2-2 and losing to the freaking rams?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

look at the depth chart at the defensive tackle position.  It's probably the worst in the NFL.  I miss Leary, But losing Terrell McClain hurts far more.  

Last year we ranked first in NFL allowing only 83 rush yards per game.  This year we give up 107.5 rush yards per game.

The FO needs to seriously evaluate their approach to the 1 tech.  Obviously the team and fans alike had playoff aspirations after last year. For the life of me, I can't figure out who thought it was a good idea to have a depth chart consisting of Collins, Paea, and Price.  

9 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

You guys want the simple explanation for being 2-2 and losing to the freaking rams?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

look at the depth chart at the defensive tackle position.  It's probably the worst in the NFL.  I miss Leary, But losing Terrell McClain hurts far more.  

Last year we ranked first in NFL allowing only 83 rush yards per game.  This year we give up 107.5 rush yards per game.

The FO needs to seriously evaluate their approach to the 1 tech.  Obviously the team and fans alike had playoff aspirations after last year. For the life of me, I can't figure out who thought it was a good idea to have a depth chart consisting of Collins, Paea, and Price.  

well using the saying often used on here by posters " Dallas doesn't value the 1T"(or something close to that) - which is why they rarely draft one or highly at least.

I really like Maliek Collins at DT. While Demarcus Lawrence leads the league in sacks, Collins is 2nd in the NFL in sacks for all DTs, behind only Geno Atkins. 

As for run D, yards allowed per game is a poor stat to go by.  Yards allowed per attempt is more telling. If 'team A' has to defend 30 more run attempts then 'team B,' then comparing yards allowed total is unhelpful when determining the best run defense. Yards allowed per attempt is much more helpful.

The Cowboys are middle of the pack(17th) in yards allowed per attempt. I think Hitchens is better than Jaylon Smith right now and hopefully David Irving and Collins get some snaps inside together. Collins is big enough and strong enough to play the 1. 

Our secondary sucks. You can't blame pressure for 2017 with Lawrence 1st in the league and Collins 2nd for all DTs.  

I don't think its been mentioned yet on your forum but you are probably catching the Packers at the worst possible time. Before this week the Packers were playing without both starting tackles, our best defensive player (Mike Daniels), our #1 corner,  and a number of WRs have went down with injury. They should all be back this week. We have also benched two of our corners for our 1st pick this year,Kevin King. He seems to be doing a much better job back there but is raw and most likely can be taken advantage of occasionally. Comparing the roster from the divisional round there are going to be at least 6 new players on defense so this is not the same team you saw last year, specifically on defense. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I don't think its been mentioned yet on your forum but you are probably catching the Packers at the worst possible time. Before this week the Packers were playing without both starting tackles, our best defensive player (Mike Daniels), our #1 corner,  and a number of WRs have went down with injury. They should all be back this week. We have also benched two of our corners for our 1st pick this year,Kevin King. He seems to be doing a much better job back there but is raw and most likely can be taken advantage of occasionally. Comparing the roster from the divisional round there are going to be at least 6 new players on defense so this is not the same team you saw last year, specifically on defense. 

This sounds a lot like our team. We're also integrating at least 6 new players on defense compared to the divisional round, and getting back a number of key players who sat out the last week-to-month, including two starting LBs, two rotation DBs, and a rotation DL. That may not sound like that much, but IMO Sean Lee and David Irving are 2 of our 3 best defensive players alongside Demarcus Lawrence, and the gap between those three and the next couple is fairly sizable. Having Lee and Hitchens out there figures to be a big upgrade on Smith, Wilson, and Durant, who got routinely torched against the Rams. I'm more skeptical that Awuzie or Carroll will have much use, because your QB makes absurd throws into the smallest possible windows, but it's nice to have bodies I guess. What our DL looks like with Irving playing alongside Maliek Collins and this version of Lawrence could make or break the game for us.

Dallas' approach at DT is basically that they expect to have the lead all the time so they can rock their three man dime fronts and play DEs at DT. The Manning-era Colts were built the same way, more or less.

When they have second half leads, it works. When they don't, it gets ugly. Paea's knee problem isn't helping, but that's something they knew about when they finalized the roster. Guess we'll be learning a lot about Brian Price as the year goes on.

Archived