Clarkfn's 2020 Game Reviews Week 1 vs Arizona

clarkfn2284

Week 1 Arizona

QB

Jimmy was flat out not very good. Timing was bad, missed opportunities and just looked rusty. More than anything his footwork was really bad in the crucial moments. Jimmy has a tendency to get sloppy with his fundamentals and he throws a ton of balls flat footed. The severely under thrown ball to Bourne and the 4th down ball to Taylor both were flat footed with the latter not even getting square to where he was throwing. He has to be better in this area plain and simple. I get he was working with a patchwork O line and had minimal options at WR, but he still missed guys. The broadcast brought up the Bourne post and he missed Juice downfield as well. It would have required a good throw, but we have seen the throw made many times over. Hopefully this is the low point for Jimmy this season. Even though statistically it looks fine.

Grade: D

RB

No complaints from me at this position group. I liked the usage of McKinnon and firmly believe if he remains healthy he will be a huge weapon and focal point for this offense. Mostert looked every bit the part of a true #1 RB, just needed more opportunities. Coleman in his minor usage actually looked decent. Showed good explosion and cutting. It goes without saying that Mostert needs to convert the TD on the goal to go situation, but why are we in a 4th and goal to begin with there? Looking forward to seeing more from this group. I was really shocked we didn't see more action for Juice in this game.

Grade: Mostert(B+), McKinnon(B), Coleman(C+), Juice(B+)

WR

What seems to be the achilles heel of this team once again showed its flaws. Pettis is just a wasted roster spot at this point. Richie James is irrelevant and if he isn't going to return kicks leaves me wondering why he is here.....Taylor, after all the talk about him on 3rd downs and he was virtually non existent in 3rd down situations. I just don't know what to say about this group any longer. They desperately need to see something from Aiyuk, but it's rather unfair to put that load on him. Deebo coming back in 3 weeks should help considerably, but right now it is filled with guys who are not going to blow you away. KB is Mr. 3rd down and Mr. Goal Line, but again nothing from him in those moments either.

Grade: KB(C+), Pettis(D-), Taylor(C), James(D)

TE

Kittle is the best TE in the game. I feel like I have said this before.......He just changes everything when he is on the field. Rough to see them go completely away from him in the second half, but Jimmy said they had him bracketed, which makes sense as he was the only threat in the pass game. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad. Reed seems nice, but If you are going to have a guy like him you need to use him. If not, what are we doing with him? Big concern on Kittle however, as he directly impacts the run game.

Grades: Kittle(B), Reed(C), Dwelley(INC)

OL

Patched up and sent out to compete is the only way to define this line. Good news is that Trent looked unreal and as I am sure we have all seen by now is wanted for attempted murder of a MLB. McG looked fine as well considering the amount of plays he saw Chandler Jones. Nothing too noticeable from Grasu which is a good thing. Shanny said he didn't see anything yesterday either so that is a good sign. RG is going to be something that needs to be addressed. Just not a good option there. The line overall, all things considered was not horrible. Maybe average at best. 

Grade:Trent(A), Tomlinson(C+), Grasu(B), Brunskill(C), McG(B)

DL

I know a lot of people are going to harp on the lack of sacks and pressure from the front, but it was noticeable to me that they were trying to contain rather than rush in a lot of instances. They just did a very poor job of maintaining gap responsibility. Can't tell you how many times I watched Dee Ford rush, only to pull up and try to predict Kyler's movements. I saw some things that I liked though. Bosa still is wrecking plays, Kinlaw made a couple nice splash plays, Kerry Hyder looked good and Kevin Givens had a nice play as well. Armstead just kind of became a non factor and outside of the one screen read from Solly it was more of the same from him. Good to see some of the depth guys contribute because the numbers will come for the big names. Not too worried here, just have some things to clean up.

Grade: Bosa(B), Jones(C), Thomas(D), Armstead(D), Ford(D), Hyder(B), Givens(C+), Kinlaw(C+)

LB

Mixed bag for me with this group. I continue to see all the potential in Greenlaw. Really nice tip leading to the Tartt INT. Warner looked good per usual. Lots to complain about with Kwon. Just seemed to be out of position a ton and overran plays too much. Still not much worry for me with these guys. I see a significant bounce back in the next couple of weeks.

Grade: Dre(B), Warner(B), Kwon(C-)

DB

Ugly day for these guys. I am the biggest Moseley fan, but he was getting used up quite a bit yesterday. It really wasn't anything special either. It makes me wonder if it was scheme. Sherman looked fine. Kwaun was noticeable. I saw him on plays, but he is usually in things quite a bit and he just didn't seem to jump off the page for me. Still, not a ton of worry for me in this group. Game 1, a little communication break down on the Hopkins TD, really up tempo offense is a bit of a disaster to start. If they let Crowder eat them up, Im concerned.

Grade: Sherman(B-), Moseley(D), K'waun(C), Witherspoon(INC)

S

Despite the INT from Tartt, it was just an average day for he and Ward. Nothing bad over the top, but I do believe Jimmie followed the receiver across on the Hopkins TD. 

Grade: Tartt(B), Ward(C), Moore(INC)

ST

Gould was fine, Wish actually punted the ball well, the blocked punt was busted coverage. Coverage teams allowed one decent return.

Grade: B

My conclusion

Relax. A lot of overreacting online from this game. I get it was a divisional game and I get that most believe this is the toughest division in the league, but it's one single game and we know what this team is made of and we know what to expect. Not too mention that these other teams in the division will give games back. Lots of areas for improvement, but we all should have confidence that they will. In close games execution wins. The 49ers didn't execute multiple times. My only real annoyance was the lack of attempts downfield. Not sure if it is Jimmy, the play calling, which I admit appeared marginal at best, the lack of receiving options or what the issue is there. I would just like to see some better results down the field. I got extremely tired of 3-5 yard crossers on 3rd and 7. Speaking of 3rd downs......both sides must be better. 50% for Arizona, 18% for the Niners. Same goes for the red zone. The good news.....the Jets, Giants and Dolphins are 3 of the next 4 games and the Eagles are in the middle and do not appear to be much to worry about. At the end of the first quarter of the season we should be looking at a 4-1 team heading into a tough stretch. The bad, Shanahan just said its a knee sprain for Kittle, week to week and Deebo had a setback that sent him to IR. Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Either way the solution comes in 6 days.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Good stuff and with logic and reason rather than knee-jerk gloom and doom. Keep it coming.

and on this note, there is enough complaint in this forum.. and enough recognition of my own posts.. that I have elected to not post in here during each game. 

c0416.gif