Tank for Trevor?

rf54

posted this on another board;

With 15 draft picks they can go very young and get those young players some NFL experience.  You can identify who is worth keeping going forward.  

With Hunter ailing you can take your time bringing him back and build your defense around him and Kendricks going forward.

Get Dye on the field at LB, get him experience and see what potential he has, Wilson looked terrible and will never be more than a back up and spot player.  

Harris is over 30 and on a 1 year franchise deal so his departure frees up $12M = Cap savings $$$.

Reiff is very likely in his last year so lets get Cleveland in there now, Reiff gone at the end of the year = more Cap savings $$$.  Get Samia and Uda on the field and get them playing time, they certainly cannot be much worse than the current guards...

Get Jefferson and Irv more playing time, Rudy is likely gone next year moving forward = more Cap savings $$$.

With very young CBs you will be lucky to be able to stop top QBs from throwing on the Vikings D, even more so with a poor pass rush.  

With the Pandemic this year, it offers a great opportunity to totally flip the roster in what will most probably be an asterisk year.  The NFL seems to be a league where you need a Top QB on a Rookie deal to have a real shot at the Championship.

[removed]

Will being really bad suck?  off course but I can't think of a better year to do it and get one of the best pro prospects in years.  The Vikings could be back in the payoffs as contenders in 2 years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikings look bad this year but there are worse teams. Cousins is good enough to keep them around 8 wins. This team makes the playoffs every other year it seems, made it last year so the writings on the wall.

that's why you need to commit to this plan early with buy in from the owners.  

I'm still not sure about some people' unadulterated love for a guy who has never even played in the NFL.  Yes, he's very good and likely the #1 overall pick, but that doesn't guarantee his success, nor would I condone tanking for such a player.  It's nonsense talk, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm still not sure about some people' unadulterated love for a guy who has never even played in the NFL.  Yes, he's very good and likely the #1 overall pick, but that doesn't guarantee his success, nor would I condone tanking for such a player.  It's nonsense talk, as far as I'm concerned.

At this point, Trevor Lawrence is going to one of the biggest disappointments ever. There’s just no way he can live up to the expectations people are putting on him as a QB. 

We’re already well past Andrew Luck levels of hype. 

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

If we didn't commit to it before the season, 1 game in is too early to start.

How do you know this has not been the plan for months?  No CBs signed in off season, extend Cousins with a contract that the team can get out of in a year, start Elf and Dozier at Guards, draft 15 rookies?  Look, during the game I root for the Vikings as hard as anyone but in reality we are not SB contenders this year.

• Like 1