Tank for Trevor?

rf54

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Teams, including the Vikings, have shown time and time again that contracts for coaches and front office personnel don’t matter. 

Zimmer and Spielman were reportedly on the hot seat before the Saints playoff game. A complete collapse of a season when they were expected to be a playoff team is going to get Zimmer and Spielman fired. 

Not if you can justify why using COVID opt-out at premium DL positions, all pro Hunter out, no rookie camp & preseason seasons games to property develop all the rookies/draft picks media praised the Vikings for. Throw in a Barr injury. 

I can set up excuses for the rest of the season. 

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Not if you can justify why using COVID opt-out at premium DL positions, all pro Hunter out, no rookie camp & preseason seasons games to property develop all the rookies/draft picks media praised the Vikings for. Throw in a Barr injury. 

I can set up excuses for the rest of the season. 

Every losing team can make excuses, but you don’t get excuses in the NFL. 

None of the other teams got rookie camps or preseason, yet they’re producing. Injuries happen to every team, every year. It’s part of the game. They’ve never been an excuse. And none of that excuses the abysmal performance by a veteran offense that’s returning 9 of its 11 starters from a year ago. 

If this team only wins 3-5 games, fans aren’t going to want to show up next year if they don’t believe anything has changed. Ownership will have to do something to create optimism and hope, and the easiest way to do that after a terrible season is to bring in a new staff and system. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Every losing team can make excuses, but you don’t get excuses in the NFL. 

None of the other teams got rookie camps or preseason, yet they’re producing. Injuries happen to every team, every year. It’s part of the game. They’ve never been an excuse. And none of that excuses the abysmal performance by a veteran offense that’s returning 9 of its 11 starters from a year ago. 

If this team only wins 3-5 games, fans aren’t going to want to show up next year if they don’t believe anything has changed. Ownership will have to do something to create optimism and hope, and the easiest way to do that after a terrible season is to bring in a new staff and system. 

The Vikes ownership has shown no willingness to make changes. They’ve mostly become content with mediocrity and a playoff trip every other year. That’s good enough for probably 80% of the leagues owners, why would the Wilfs behave any differently. They got their expensive facility financed and a loyal fan base. There isn’t interest in the NFL right now, but I’m confident that when stadiums do open up again, fans will return in waves. I don’t think you can create optimism and hope for a team that has Kirk Cousins under Center if I’m being honest.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes ownership has shown no willingness to make changes. They’ve mostly become content with mediocrity and a playoff trip every other year. That’s good enough for probably 80% of the leagues owners, why would the Wilfs behave any differently. They got their expensive facility financed and a loyal fan base. There isn’t interest in the NFL right now, but I’m confident that when stadiums do open up again, fans will return in waves. I don’t think you can create optimism and hope for a team that has Kirk Cousins under Center if I’m being honest.

Not firing everybody at the first sign of trouble does not mean they are ok with mediocrity 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes ownership has shown no willingness to make changes.

Really? They made changes in 2010 after the wheels fell off of the Childress experiment. And they made changes in 2014 after Frazier completely fell apart.

While the team didn’t make the playoffs in 2016 or 2018, they weren’t far away from it, and any changes would have been a knee jerk reaction. Which the Wilfs have shown not to be.

But, if this team falls apart, a 3-5 win season. Why do you think they wouldn’t make changes, as they have before? 

Edited by SemperFeist

35 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Really? They made changes in 2010 after the wheels fell off of the Childress experiment. And they made changes in 2014 after Frazier completely fell apart.

While the team didn’t make the playoffs in 2016 or 2018, they weren’t far away from it, and any changes would have been a knee jerk reaction. Which the Wilfs have shown not to be.

But, if this team falls apart, a 3-5 win season. Why do you think they wouldn’t make changes, as they have before? 

Track record. As I stated, i think the track record of Zimmer and Spielman is good enough for most NFL owners. Frazier didn’t have a track record of success or mediocrity, he had terrible teams almost every year, Same with Childress, outside of the year with Favre. Zimmer and Spielman probably have as much job security as anyone right now. 

36 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

They paid 86 million up front for a qb when no one would have blamed them for signing one of the cheaper options but yeah they don't care about winning 

It’s not about caring about winning that drove that decision, I’d say they cared more about not losing or not being able to compete. Nothing suggested that Cousins was a “winning” QB, he just wasn’t a bad QB and the thought was a highly talented team would prop him up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It’s not about caring about winning that drove that decision, I’d say they cared more about not losing or not being able to compete. Nothing suggested that Cousins was a “winning” QB, he just wasn’t a bad QB and the thought was a highly talented team would prop him up. 

He was the best option that we had at the time to be a better team. 

If they just didn't want to lose they would have been fine keeping the qb that helped get them to the nfc championship game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you think half the coaches would get fired every year if the NFL owners would just care about winning?

Money is the most important part to a NFL owner, is it not? Winning doesn’t equate to revenue in many cases. The Vikes have a great fan base and great facilities, I think culture is probably more important at the end of the day. Firing a coach every year destroys culture.

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Track record. As I stated, i think the track record of Zimmer and Spielman is good enough for most NFL owners. Frazier didn’t have a track record of success or mediocrity, he had terrible teams almost every year, Same with Childress, outside of the year with Favre. Zimmer and Spielman probably have as much job security as anyone right now. 

Frazier made the playoffs a year earlier. Childress won the division two years in a row. 

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Money is the most important part to a NFL owner, is it not? Winning doesn’t equate to revenue in many cases. The Vikes have a great fan base and great facilities, I think culture is probably more important at the end of the day. Firing a coach every year destroys culture.

Winning a super bowl would be huge for the vikings brand.  I dont know a lot about the revenue but I would think that would lead to more money or at least make the team worth more.  It definitely wouldn't lose money

Obviously money is important to them or they wouldn't be able to own a team.  I haven't seen anything that suggests that winning isn't important

50 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Winning a super bowl would be huge for the vikings brand.  I dont know a lot about the revenue but I would think that would lead to more money or at least make the team worth more.  It definitely wouldn't lose money

Obviously money is important to them or they wouldn't be able to own a team.  I haven't seen anything that suggests that winning isn't important

It’s important, I do believe that. I think culture and money probably matter more. Obviously, winning helps culture but at the same time, the Vikes have won just a couple of playoff games under Zimmer/Spielman but culture seems to be the most consistently positive thing we hear about the team. So if you’re Wilf, why break that up? The culture was toxic under Childress and Frazier was just in over his head as a HC.

Edited by vikingsrule

48 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I am going to agree that winning is important to them. But it is only important to them to the point of keeping fan interest up. I am sure they would love to win a Super Bowl, but they have not shown a willingness to make old changes from leaders that were doing just enough to keep fan interest sell tickets. They are content as long as they are winning enough to sell tickets.

I have been convinced for a little while now that the current philosophy of the Vikings GM is not one that will lead the team to a Super Bowl championship. I am equally convinced that changing GMs is more likely to make the team worse than make it better. The question then becomes, is it worth taking the risk of likely becoming worse for the chance of increasing your chance of a Super Bowl. Alternatively, be content with the status quo. What I have seen is the ownership being content.