Tank for Trevor?

rf54

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think I would promote Paton. It likely wouldn’t involve a massive overhaul, which I don’t necessarily think is needed, but it would likely bring in a new perspective. 

It's too bad stefanski got hired away,  although we wouldn't want him as coach either if the offense was anything like this

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's too bad stefanski got hired away,  although we wouldn't want him as coach either if the offense was anything like this

I advocated for firing Zimmer and promoting Stefanski at the end of last year. I would have taken the gamble on keeping the 38 year old over the 68 year old.

I don’t think the offense would look like this. And I don’t think Diggs would be in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Diggs didn’t want to be a part of this team. He forced his way out. That would be quitting. 

but, there is no evidence that he ever quit on the field.  He might have needed an in-season attitude adjustment last season, but he was a top notch performer on the field, doing his best, despite not being happy about how he was being used.

I advocated for firing Zimmer and promoting Stefanski at the end of last year. I would have taken the gamble on keeping the 38 year old over the 68 year old.

I don’t think the offense would look like this. And I don’t think Diggs would be in Buffalo. 

Would you have kept Spielman in that scenario?

29 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Would you have kept Spielman in that scenario?

No. I would have promoted Paton, who I thought we’d lose this past offseason. 

I’m a strong advocate for continuity, and I felt that moving forward with Paton as GM and Stefanski as HC would have been a great way to create a necessary amount of change, while keeping a certain amount of continuity. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

No. I would have promoted Paton, who I thought we’d lose this past offseason. 

I’m a strong advocate for continuity, and I felt that moving forward with Paton as GM and Stefanski as HC would have been a great way to create a necessary amount of change, while keeping a certain amount of continuity. 

If we’re going to make a HC and GM change in one offseason, I’d rather just blow it up and look externally. I just don’t like the idea of promoting from within if major change is needed. Reminds me of promoting Frazier and Spielman after Childress was canned.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If we’re going to make a HC and GM change in one offseason, I’d rather just blow it up and look externally. I just don’t like the idea of promoting from within if major change is needed. Reminds me of promoting Frazier and Spielman after Childress was canned.

Now I’d certainly look to blow it up on the coaching staff. They don’t have anyone worthy of promotion now on the coaching staff any ways. 

I don’t think the front office as a whole is a problem. I just think Spielman has had his opportunity, now give the next guy a shot. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Ok for one Kirk Cousins inspires no one, barely communicates with anyone on the sidelines and lacks some major leadership qualities and relatability in general.  Said that all when the Vikings signed him, then started to come around with him a little last year based on his play but his comments this off season about COVID-19 help show how out of touch he is with what leadership even means, not to mention his absolutely uninspiring play this season.  Sure the OL is awful and gets destroyed, but so is Burrow's on the Bengals yet that kid still competes and fights and leads his team and he is a freaking inexperienced rookie.  Again Cousins inspires and motivates no one and that is pretty sad coming from the highest paid player on the team and the starting QB.

But how do they get rid of him?  He is $66 million guaranteed and he is locked up until the 2023 season.  Freaking is awful, wish they could just cut him but they cannot without losing a ton of money.  Freaking sucks!  Trevor Lawrence, great and based on how they have played it is a possibility.  The Vikings are without question the worst team in the NFL after two games I would say based on the expectations for this season, how they played and the fact they were a Playoff team last year and won a game even in the Playoffs.  But it is a season without a preseason so one can only hope for some improvement.  Maybe all the trouble in the area recently the team is not completely focused, who knows.  No team has played worse than the Vikings have for the first two games though on offense or defense arguably.  In terms of the roster, there is no roster based on performance that is lacking more than the Vikings are.  All the other 0-2 teams at least have either good young players or potential for the future, the Vikings with Cousins do not have much upside, considering they paid him because they thought they had a Super Bowl window they wanted to take advantage of.   Now they cannot get rid of him and start over really with that kind of a contract.  

New starters have looked not so great, Samia was down right awful in his start last week.  Bisi Johnson does not scare anyone at receiver, he is an ok 3rd WR but no way he is a 2nd WR in the NFL.  O'Neill struggled a lot game 1 and Bradbury is just ok.  Irv Smith has not played well and has made some bad drops.  Cleveland has not played and neither has Udoh, hopefully that changes soon.  On D Odenigbo has not been much and Ngakoue has only one or two good pressures and the rest he is pretty quiet and unproductive.  The DTs Stephen and Johnson provide little to no pass rush and do not play that well against the run either, Watts has not done anything, Holmes when starting at DE has struggled and provides little, Mata'afa has done nothing either on the DL.  Hughes has disappointed and Hill has also big time, both experienced and both to be the starters but have been out played at times by rookies Dantzler and Gladney arguably.  At least Gladney provided some fight in this last game a little bit.  Shows possibly just how great Hunter is if he made this awful DL look even remotely good, without him, wow they are bad.

Harris and Smith could be one of the best safety combos in the NFL.  But Smith cannot be aggressive around the line with such bad corners, and Harris also cannot be aggressive because of that.  So it does not help the team at all that two of their best and most veteran players cannot really even effect the game much as a safety.

Honestly they could not have played any worse, the D cannot get off the field and get driven on all game long and the offense cannot move the ball, and the time of possession....  Absolutely dead last in the NFL at 20:09 minutes a game.  Absolutely awful.  Oh and the #1 and #2 teams in the NFL in time of possession, Green Bay and Indy, both Vikings opponents.  38:01 and 35:45 minutes a game respectively.  

Tank for Trevor, sure but really they need a QB, DT, WR and CB really badly.   Not to mention potentially a OG and OLB.  

It would be nice to see some frustration out of some of the players, or even an inkling that they care that they are getting their butt kicked.  So little passion on the team and so little leadership, going to be hard to get corrected.  Getting rid of Zim or Spielman is absolutely on the table as well, because obviously cannot fire all the players.  I would rather keep Zim and maybe can Rick, they have drafted pretty poorly of late, especially if this last group does not turn out but maybe it is a lack of player development.  

From 2007 till 2017 they had 9 years where they drafted a Pro Bowl player or more in each draft class, only one season they missed out of those 10 years.  Now 2018 and 2019 and obviously now 2020 have zero Pro bowl players drafted.    Clearly a little down turn unless some guys greatly develop which is hard obviously in this setting.  

Even if the Vikings do not get Trevor, Penei Sewell would be amazing, and could move Cleveland to guard and hopefully he gets a shot at it this season with how bad Samia looked.  Marvin Wilson would be amazing on the inside no question, Parsons or Ossai or Owusu- Kormoah I would love at OLB as well.  Sadly the 1st round picks this past year were not as great as they could have been because it was such a need thing, instead of taking the best player there they had to take a CB and WR no choice really.  Either way I am going to have to change my expectations for this team because wow, awful start says a lot about the current talent level for the team.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I do not believe the Vikings could beat the Bills or Dolphins.

We can’t. And we might mess around and lose to the Jets too. We are terrible, no real identity on offense and the defense is injured. I don’t normally care for tanking, but I’m born, raised, and live in philly. We trusted the process for another sport for so long and we are now a perennial playoff/title contender (especially now we have fired our head coach which gives us a better chance at winning). Tanking for Trevor isn’t a bad idea at all.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

But how do they get rid of him?  He is $66 million guaranteed and he is locked up until the 2023 season....Now they cannot get rid of him and start over really with that kind of a contract.

If I understand his contract he's at least a Viking through next season (2021-22). After that he could be cut and incur $10M in dead money. I just hope that if we're in a position to draft a potential franchise QB, Spielman does it.

2021 Draft: Rookie QB
2021-22: Cousins/Rookie QB (year 1 of rookie contract)
2022-23: Rookie QB takes over (year 2 of rookie contract and 2 hopefully "normal" off-seasons of work)

14 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If I understand his contract he's at least a Viking through next season (2021-22). After that he could be cut and incur $10M in dead money. I just hope that if we're in a position to draft a potential franchise QB, Spielman does it.

2021 Draft: Rookie QB
2021-22: Cousins/Rookie QB (year 1 of rookie contract)
2022-23: Rookie QB takes over (year 2 of rookie contract and 2 hopefully "normal" off-seasons of work)

Cousins 2022 contract becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2021 league year. So, barring a restructure and trade, Cousins will be a Viking through 2022. 

That still shouldn’t deter them from drafting a top QB if they find themselves in position to do so. And if they do find themselves in position to draft Lawrence or Fields, I’d bite the bullet and take the cap hit for cutting Cousins if I couldn’t find a trade. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That still shouldn’t deter them from drafting a top QB if they find themselves in position to do so. 

Forgot about contract becoming guaranteed.

This is ultimately my main concern. Do we trust Spielman to take a QB if the Vikings are in that position?

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins 2022 contract becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2021 league year. So, barring a restructure and trade, Cousins will be a Viking through 2022. 

That still shouldn’t deter them from drafting a top QB if they find themselves in position to do so. 

Correct.  And if they should choose to cut him before that 3rd day of the league year they'd have a $41M dead cap number in 2021.